pshanks
Since we are kind of locked into V9 & the V9 WebBrain (there is no way to go back to V8) with our data, and there is no other way to share our Brain's knowledge without using WebBrain...

There are 2 items that need to resolved A.S.A.P. 
  • Must be able to turn off the Internal Browser on the WebBrain. It causes a lot of problems and confuses the heck out of clients. Also, it breaks some software that we are connecting to. I've turned off the embedded browsers for web links on the desktop as it is one feature I really don't like either. 
  • Must be able to open web links in a new tab by either clicking on the icon on the thought or the URL link in the side panel (No hamburger). This would also include any images or graphics.  

Most of the WebBrains that we want to share with users will be read-only!

Hopefully this is something that can be done fairly quickly because at this moment I'm at a loss as to how we can share anything within TheBrain. 

TheBrain Beta 9.0.262.0, iOS V9.0.4.0, TheBrain 8.0.2.2
Windows 10 (V1709), Windows 7 SP1, OS X V10.13.3
Using The Brain since V3 (1999)

metta
+1 on both requests -- Thanks, Pat!

Would also like to confirm the 2nd request to open web links in a new tab includes both:
> links within notes and
> attachment links (side panel)

Many thanks in advance for your help with this request.
mcaton
Thanks for posting. There have been a few recent changes in WebBrain for Thoughts with attached web links. Browsers don't allow loading an unsecured (HTTP) URL inside of a page that is secure (HTTPS). So for most web links, you'll see something like this:

Chesapeake Light Craft 
http://www.clcboats.com/boats/sassafras.php?gclid=CKXfveu-55ECFQY8YQodfi7CXg 
Modified: 9/20/2017, 6:03:44 AM 
Created: 8/20/2008, 6:53:20 PM 

Page was not loaded since it is not secure. Click here to open in a new window.

And clicking the hyperlinks will launch the web pages in a new tab.

I believe that web links within notes is a documented request and I will confirm.

Thanks,
Matt
metta
Thanks, Matt, for letting us know these issues are in the process of being addressed.

Unfortunately, when I just now tested the attached link option to open a new window, no such option appeared.

See screenshot below in which I received a completely different error message -- with no visible link, and no option to open in a new window. (From what I can remember, this error message, below, is the one that should display when I'm logged in, not when I'm logged out.)

Please note that I manually logged out before viewing this error message, so I don't know if this is related to login display glitch or not.

NoOption_ToViewLink_OrOpenInNewWindow.png 
metta
FWIW, I just now tried Harlan's suggestion of entering the attached URL as https instead of http -- and I still received the same error message.
> The link did not display in the embedded browser and
> I didn't get any option to open the link in a new window.
metta
Apart from the problems detailed above with getting an attached link to open into a new window from the internal web browser, I do have a larger concern about the internal web browser itself, even when it is working properly in the web client (as illustrated in Matt's screenshot above).

• First, as Matt indicated, "for most web links" an "insecure" site error message is going to display -- and this, in turn, requires a secondary click to open the URL in a new window.
    • Admittedly, Harlan's suggestion of replacing http in the URL with https will, in some cases, allow some insecure pages to display inside the internal browser, but this work-around does not always work -- and, when it doesn't, it just doesn't feel right to have so many web sites NOT displaying properly within TheBrain.
  • Many non-responsive sites do NOT display properly in the internal browser, even when the URL is secure.
  • As Pat pointed out, it is confusing for many users to have a secondary browser displaying within the main brain window.

In light of this, I feel it is very important for brain owners to have the option of:
> disabling (and completely bypassing) the internal browser in the web client and instead....
> displaying attached links as FULL urls that open in a new window.

I personally believe that displaying FULL urls (that can optionally be renamed) is far preferable to the current tab configuration that is hard to read and not prominently displayed within the web client.

For my own purposes, the URL display options available in TB8 web brain (immediately above the notes) are ideal because they are prominently visible, easy to read and easy to rename.
pshanks
The goal of this post was to raise concerns about sharing WebBrains as Read-Only.

Quote:
  • As Pat pointed out, it is confusing for many users to have a secondary browser displaying within the main brain window.

In light of this, I feel it is very important for brain owners to have the option of:
> disabling (and completely bypassing) the internal browser in the web client and instead....
> displaying attached links as FULL urls that open in a new window.

Completely agree as this is causing our users not to use our Read-Only WebBrains!!!

Quote: I personally believe that displaying FULL urls (that can optionally be renamed) is far preferable to the current tab configuration that is hard to read and not prominently displayed within the web client.

For my own purposes, the URL display options available in TB8 web brain (immediately above the notes) are ideal because they are prominently visible, easy to read and easy to rename.

Please don't convolute this thread as the discussion was about read-only brains, users will not be renaming the URLs, just clicking to open them in a new tab.

Without having the ability to have Read-Only WebBrains, our Brains and knowledge become useless if we can't share them with others.

Now there is a bigger discussion about the interaction of WebBrain if we are talking about maintaining our Brains through the Web. But this needs to be a different discussion.

TheBrain Beta 9.0.262.0, iOS V9.0.4.0, TheBrain 8.0.2.2
Windows 10 (V1709), Windows 7 SP1, OS X V10.13.3
Using The Brain since V3 (1999)

metta
One more example of another limitation with the embedded browser:
> Here's a secure (https://) link that does NOT display in the embedded browser in either the desktop brain or the web client.
metta
pshanks wrote:

Please don't convolute this thread as the discussion was about read-only brains, users will not be renaming the URLs, just clicking to open them in a new tab.

No convolution intended, Pat. In the context of renaming URLs, please see my reference to brain "owners" above (not users).

I fully support (and share) your desire to share read-only brains.
metta

Follow-up Q for Matt about the Internal Web Browser in the Web Client:

I have several URLs with the secure https prefix in two of my TB9 test brains.
> Previously most of these secure pages displayed within the internal web browser.
> Now none of them do.

In fact, I haven't been able to find any URLs in any of my TB9 test brains that are now displaying inside the web client browser. They ALL now have to be opened in a new tab/window.

Is this by design?

Has the internal browser actually been turned off?

Or, are we now seeing an interim version of the internal web browser that will eventually perform/function differently?

If this behavior is now the intended performance for the internal web browser, is there any reason the "created" and modified" data is displaying in the web client? These details appear (to me) to almost purely administrative, and I don't know how much interest my web brain users would ever have in this info.

Thank you in advance for your feedback and clarification.

Harlan
Thanks for all the feedback here. Like the desktop and mobile clients, the web client will continue to evolve over time.

As of now, web attachments are no longer ever framed inside of the web client. Yes, this is by design. The created and modified times will be removed in the future except for file attachments.

At this time there is no option to enable framing of web attachments but we will consider enabling this as a brain-level setting at some point.

Eventually, we will improve the look of web attachments perhaps by displaying favicons.
Regards,
-Harlan
metta
Thanks again, Harlan, for your prompt and helpful feedback. Glad to know a bit more about where things stand and where they are headed.

Very much appreciate the option now to open attached links a new window, and thanks in advance for removing the created and modified times on web page links.

As the web client evolves, I'd also like to put in a request for an option to display our web client attachments in a list view, similar to the list view available in the desktop client.

As I think about it, perhaps there could be multiple tabs for the different types (lists) of attachments:
> Notes
> Links
> Images
> Videos
> Documents

Each tab could then display a list view of the various attachments, with the full link and full attachment name visible in the tabbed lists. (Now these names are partially hidden on the individual attachment tabs.)

And if the brain owner could control the sequence within which the items on each list displays (as we can in the desktop brain), this would be great for brain owners and shared/public brain users alike! (More user friendly, and easier to read.)

🙂
Cerebrum

Harlan wrote: As of now, web attachments are no longer ever framed inside of the web client. Yes, this is by design. The created and modified times will be removed in the future except for file attachments.This seems like a step backwards.

Take a look at this topic from 2015: Live Website Links?
Web links could only be viewed in Webbrain, not in the desktop app. But, there was an exciting preview by Matt in Brain Development Update that showed that the feature would be available in the next desktop version. 

Now that the feature is available in TB9, it has been removed from the web client. ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’†ÃƒƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ÃƒÆ’ƒÃ¢â‚¬ ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’¢â‚¬Å¡ÃƒÃ¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚°ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’†ÃƒƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ÃƒÆ’ƒÃ‚¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚¦ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’¢â‚¬Å¡ÃƒÃ¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¸ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’†ÃƒƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ÃƒÆ’ƒÃ‚¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚¹ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÃ‚¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“§

I find it strange that anyone would want to eliminate the option of viewing a web page in the internal browser. If you want to view the page in your own browser then you're going to have to click somewhere, and you always have the option to click.

If the internal browser in the web client is broken or it's missing some features, then please fix it and add the missing features. 

FWIW, Jerry's Brain is not as useful now that it's on the new platform and it no longer previews Wikipedia articles.

Edited: Here's a link to a post from 2015, asking: How do I achieve what Jerry has and get the entire page to copy over?

I responded with: Quote: If you add a Wikipedia link to a thought and you click on the thought when viewing your brain on the web, you automatically get the content of the Wikipedia article.
This feature is only available in the web brain and (I think) only for links to Wikipedia articles.
Matt followed up with: Quote: Yes, Wikipedia, YouTube and Vimeo prepopulate in the WebBrain content window when you just link to the URL.Perhaps preview in the web client's internal browser should be restricted to those three websites.

metta
Cerebrum wrote: "Perhaps preview in the web client's internal browser should be restricted to those three websites."

IF the internal browser preview is going to be restored, I would strongly recommend limiting it to these 3 sites:
  • Wikipedia
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

When the internal browser was previously turned on, there seemed to be no end to the number of display errors with other websites (regardless of their status as http:// or https://) -- and the vast majority of sites were NOT displaying properly in the internal browser, including TheBrain's own web site.

In addition, I share Pat's original concern about the confusion created for web client visitors when only a small minority of sites display properly in the internal browser, and then the majority do not.

For this reason, limiting the internal browser display to these 3 sites (only) would prevent many secondary problems (display issues) and limit the risk of confusion for web client users.

In addition, please note:
-- If these 3 sites DO end up being displayed in the internal browser again, I strongly recommend also providing a clear, simple and readily visible option (alternative) for opening the same page in a new tab/window, if the user prefers.
Cerebrum
The internal browser in the old web client worked fine but it had some limitations. The new one was supposed to be better but it isn't. Solution: Eliminate it.😕

From  Harlan Hugh Gives the Scoop on TheBrain 9 Development Quote: Now that it is finally ready for release we’ve worked on TheBrain 9 for well over 5 years.
Version 9 is all-but-finished… Over the next few months you will see big improvements to the Web client for TheBrain 9 as that is the final piece of the puzzle.
That was seven months ago.

Now it's a few steps back. That's fine, as long as it's followed by several steps forward ...

(Edited to remove older link.)

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software