pshanks

Since the 9.0.241 is a Release Candidate I wanted to check and make sure that we could share our public Brains as we did in V8

Did get very far as there as still major short comings with the V9 WebBrain.

The "Get Sharable Link" doesn't work.
(See below)

2018-01-27_10-22-45.jpg 

In a public Brain (Not logged In) and if you click on the "+" it pops up an Add Attachment window. That should not be allowed! (See below)

2018-01-27_10-24-30.jpg 
I guess the real question how long before the WebBrain will be usable like V8. The biggest concern is now we have moved most of our Brains to V9 yet we can't really share them as we could do with V8 WebBrain  and there is not easy way to move back to V8 and the V8 WebBrain.

Metta has already make a great WebBrain wishlist of items the need to be resolved for the Web Client.

=> http://forums.thebrain.com/post/web-client-wish-list-9627824

TheBrain (Beta 10.0.25.0) 9.1.16.0, iOS V9.1.2, TheBrain 8.0.2.2
Windows 10 (V1803), Windows 7 SP1, OS X V10.13.5
Using The Brain since V3 (1999)

Harlan
Hi Pat,

While that button may not be working for some reason, you actually don't need it. Once you set the brain to public, just go to the thought you want to have people start on and copy the URL.

As for the Add attachment button, there is a bug that displays the UI when it should not, but you will not be able to make any change while not logged in. (Try it and see if you like.)

Also, FYI, the web client will continue to evolve and improve and is not tied with the release of V9.
Regards,
-Harlan
metta
Thanks, Pat, for your positive feedback about my web client "wish list".

My main intent with this list was to document new desired features and along with a few "fixes" needed for sharing web brains with others.

I actually did not try to document many of the other "admin" features (and bugs) that still need to be addressed, since I know the web client is still being developed, so I appreciate you highlighting these 2 additional issues.

FWIW, the second one seems like it might (?) be related (either directly or indirectly) to a recent problem I ran into with private thoughts and the web client login.
mrsandbags
So far (and I think I was the same way with v3) I only ever maintain one brain. The intertwingledness of all things means that separate brains never made any sense.

This gives me a problem with the whole "public brain" thing as there is certainly lots of stuff in my brain I don't want to make public. However I know that I am also lazy and careless sometimes. My chance of accidentally publishing something without turning it private is potentially high. Therefore I do not anticipate publishing and that's a big disappointment.

I can think of two approaches to addressing this problem for myself:

1) Browse-as-public. Set a flag in the Desktop UI and it switches to the "public" version of your Brain and you only see those thoughts that would be visible. You could then explore to see if private stuff was visible. Not perfect but a report on Thoughts might well be enough.

2) Compile-public. Compile a public-only version of the Brain. Again you could then open that Brain and check it out before making it public.

Neither is perfect but both would be a step forward.

Matt
MOWER/VALDEMARIN
Experts at creating value by sharpening purpose, stimulating thinking, sharing insight, and finding hidden opportunities for you
tel +44 797 707 6709  ·  skype: matt.mower ·   http://mwrvld.com/  ·  https://uk.linkedin.com/in/mattmower

TheBrain v9.0.245.0 | macOS 10.12.6 | MacBook Pro 13,1 (late 2016) 2.4Gz i7, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 540 GPU

zenrain
A WebBrain is automatically considered private and not available for anyone except the user that created it unless set otherwise. To allow public use of the Brain, you must first right click it's icon in the Brain list and check "Allow Public Access". At this point the individual thought settings for private apply.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
mrsandbags
zenrain, my point was about *after* you allow public access.
MOWER/VALDEMARIN
Experts at creating value by sharpening purpose, stimulating thinking, sharing insight, and finding hidden opportunities for you
tel +44 797 707 6709  ·  skype: matt.mower ·   http://mwrvld.com/  ·  https://uk.linkedin.com/in/mattmower

TheBrain v9.0.245.0 | macOS 10.12.6 | MacBook Pro 13,1 (late 2016) 2.4Gz i7, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 540 GPU

zenrain
Ah. NM, lol. ðŸ˜
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
mcaton
Matt,

Thank you for posting.  This is some interesting feedback that we were recently discussing on the process of sharing Brains.  You can certainly publish and review before sharing the URL.  Unlike v8, there is no "Explore" page where all public Brains are accessible.  This allows you to review your Brain as a read only user - copy the URL and then log out.  Of course, the next syncs you do will need to be reviewed locally.  I've documented your Report Filter for Private/Public Thoughts which would be helpful in this scenario.

The same report could then be used to copy all public thoughts into a smaller, "sub-Brain" for publishing.  This, however, would ruin your One Brain streak! ðŸ˜²

Thanks,
Matt
mrsandbags
mcaton wrote:

The same report could then be used to copy all public thoughts into a smaller, "sub-Brain" for publishing.  This, however, would ruin your One Brain streak! Ã°Å¸ËœÂ²

I think this would be my preferred route.

Actually I could live with read-only sub-brains. It's just the idea of deciding which Brain a thought should go in that fills me with cold terror 😉
MOWER/VALDEMARIN

Harlan
You can view your public-only brain by going to Options > Hide Private Thoughts.
Regards,
-Harlan
metta
@mrsandbags ~

I share your concern about the possibility of accidentally sharing private thoughts in a public brain. However, once a brain begins approaching mega proportions, I'm not sure how easy it will be to scan through a long filtered list of thoughts to find any public thoughts that need to be hidden.

For this reason, my current strategy for finding and hiding public-thoughts-that-should-be-made-private involves 2 steps:
  • First: "Hide Private Thoughts" in my desktop brain and then search in recently edited areas for any thoughts which should be (but are not) hidden
  • Second: In the web client, log out and then conduct the same search in recently edited areas of the brain.

I'm hoping this approach, combined with the good feature request you've suggested, may offer some measure of protection to catching private thoughts I've forgotten to hide.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software