ChrisCase
In Harlan's blog there's a description of using a Webbrain as the navigation interface for a website. I've been trying that, but am not familiar enough with HTML to know how to do it right.  The plex always comes out directly on top of and obscuring the iFrame with the contents. Something to do with Div tags, I suppose. Also, if I use <div align="center" it comes out with the right margin of the plex in the center, rather than the plex itself being centered.

Could somebody just give the HTML code for an example page which has the plex on the top and the content iframe directly below, as it appears in a SiteBrain?  I could then modify the code for the sizes I want.

Thanks..

Moe
Chris, Thanks for the post. You can try the following. Just replace the iframe with your generated iframe code from WebBrain.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<style type="text/css">
iframe
{
position: absolute;
top: 0;
left: 0;
width: 100%;
height: 100%;
border: none;
}
</style>

</head>
<body>
<iframe src="http://webbrain.com/brain/brain/ACF24E1E-CD69-9032-349B-5CA93C86D36E/thought/54" ></iframe>
</body>
</html>

Best regards,
Moe

ChrisCase
Thanks for this.  It is, however, quite different from what Harlan was describing,  which was not so much putting the whole thing into an iFrame as creating a page with the plex in one div and the content in an iframe in a separate div.   Would this confer any advantage?

One thing I would like to change, but cannot, is the relative proportion of the two sections.  Just as in Webbrain itself,  the plex is much too big,  with a tiny window for the content. It really should be the other way around..  The user will not necessarily know he can change the sizes.  Is there a way,  perhaps using  the <div> method,  to set the plex to about 400px, and the content frame the rest? 

Here's the code I wrote trying to follow Harlan's instructions,  which didn't work properly.

<div
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://webbrain.com/embed?brain=A12064E2-AE22-9F0C-6301-555B9E971F6D&options=alwaysShowSingleAttachment%3Dtrue%2CcontentFrame%3DcontentFrame%2CtextHeight%3D11%2C&width=900px&height=250px"></script><noscript><p>Enable scripting to experience this site properly. <a href='http://webbrain.com/hbrainpage/brain/A12064E2-AE22-9F0C-6301-555B9E971F6D'>View this Brain without scripting.</a></p>
</noscript></p></div>

<div align="center"
<iframe name="contentFrame" width="900" height="700" </iframe></div>

ChrisCase
Actually, I managed to work it out with the help of a friend, resulting in

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>VAMPERIALISM</title>

<style>

#webbrain {
 margin: auto;
 width: 1000px;
 height: 292px;
}

#webbraincontentwrapper {
 text-align:center;
}

#webbraincontent {
 margin: auto;
 width: 1000px;
 height: 700px;
}
</style>

</head>

<body>
<div id="webbrainwrapper">
<div id="webbrain">
<script src="http://webbrain.com/embed?brain=A12064E2-AE22-9F0C-6301-555B9E971F6D&thought=528&options=alwaysShowSingleAttachment%3Dtrue%2CcontentFrame%3DcontentFrame%2CtextHeight%3D11%2C&width=1000px&height=300px"></script><noscript>Enable scripting to experience this site properly. <a href='http://webbrain.com/hbrainpage/brain/A12064E2-AE22-9F0C-6301-555B9E971F6D/thought/528?sourcePage=http%3A%2F%2Fvamperialism.com'>View this Brain without scripting.</a></noscript></p>
</div> <!-- end of webbrain -->
</div> <!-- end of webbrainwrapper -->

<div id="webbraincontentwrapper">
<div id="webbraincontent">
<iframe name="contentFrame" width="100%" height="100%"> </iframe>
</div>  <!-- end of webbraincontent -->
</div>  <!-- end of webbraincontentwrapper -->
</body>
</html>

bedduin

Hi Guys

I am new here.
I have had Personal brain 3 from the inception but have never used it.
I saw the potential from then and decided I would reely like to see where they take this.

Fast forward 4+ years and I revisit the software in its 5th edition and ot still has not reached the stage where it can build a website.
I am terribly disappointed.
It promised so much, and so much has not been done.

Without knowing what is going on here, my quick (un-expert) perusal of the  software shows a glaring nedd for:
(a) A built in (no brainer) function that says
     (i) build website
     (ii) launch website (and not necessariy on webrain)
     (iii) etc

This function should be a wysiwyg, drop and function/technology...
I am sure this should be easy...

What say you guys - Am so 2000 and late...
Has this been done aleady...
Is this to be in the next development

Thanx for the time...
ChrisCase
It's not really clear what your complaint is.  PB5 certainly can produce a website; I use it myself to make http://floatingworldweb.com    It has a function File/Export/Sitebrain HTML or Simple

I'm not  sure  what you mean by "launch",  but that is surely not something you expect the program to do.  You upload the sitebrain to your server, and then have your launch party.

So it is possible to make an interesting site.  That said, it is true that PB has not paid much attention to the Sitebrain function for a very long time.  If you want search engines to be able to find anything on your Sitebrain, you are still out of luck. This problem doesn't arise with Webbrain,  but the latter offers almost no control over the appearance of the site, and does not display linked pages in the content frame, except for Wikipedia pages.  There also have been no updates about Webbrain for quite a while....

bedduin
Hi Chris

Thanx for the response.
I guess I just do not know the software enough.
Two things (a) It is not a complaint, I am hardly in the position to complain. It is an observation; (b) I did not mean a launch party/event.
I meant click to launch/upload the website after it has been built

Another clarification may help my poor communication some more.

MENU
Perhaps I would have been better understood had I say a Personal Brain type menu on a website.
Such a menu is the least one could ask from the developers - dont you think so.
Certainly a functional menu, then website is the next step....the opportunity exists, the software begs it and people like me stay up  nights just thinking when?

PB would then be a swiss army knife fo the web

Thanx for your time I am most appreciative

Peace

PS
Chris I went your link...
I am sure a site can be done other than that.
I think I have become cross-eyed and knock-kneed, just by looking at it

ChrisCase
Hi Chris

Thanx for the response.
I guess I just do not know the software enough.
Two things (a) It is not a complaint, I am hardly in the position to complain. It is an observation; (b) I did not mean a launch party/event.
I meant click to launch/upload the website after it has been built

I realise that. I was joking, since I couldn;t see how you would expect the program you use to make a website to contain the webhost and FTP program as well.  But it's just that you are using the word "launch" in an idiosyncratic way.

Perhaps I would have been better understood had I say a Personal Brain type menu on a website.
Such a menu is the least one could ask from the developers - dont you think so.
Certainly a functional menu, then website is the next step....the opportunity exists, the software begs it and people like me stay up  nights just thinking when?

Well, check out http://blog.thebrain.com/webbbrain-site-navigation/  ,  then get some sleep.

PB would then be a swiss army knife fo the web

One would hope so, especially thinking of that tool for removing stones from horses' hooves...

Chris I went your link...
I am sure a site can be done other than that.
I think I have become cross-eyed and knock-kneed, just by looking at it

So what would you suggest?  Less content?

bedduin
Hi Chris

I do thank you for following up with a newbie.
I accept how you choose to describe my use of the word "launch".

FTP
Clarification on FTP...
No not at all.
While I do not expect it have an FTP.
I would expect it though to have the capability to do the site, set up and configure a menu and have then functionality to use a FTP to post to the net.
That is what I had in mind.

I still think something is missing in the logical development.
Had I developed this software myself, I could not resist the challenge to show how it could be used for a website.
And my website at least would have to use this functionality...
See what I mean.
Consequently, I am not really impressed with it.
Ok so it is good, but it could also be better...
So in as much as it does not even approximate this functionality, it is less than it could be.

JOKE
Hey man LOL@ME
And Swiss Army knife - curious response on the horse LOL ....who are you.
I got a good laugh at Dobbin at that, poor old chap, gotte get me a belt and some glue after all that work.

LESS CONTENT ON YOUR SITE
Less content, that would only help the aesthetics...
But it would create havoc with the utiility.
So I would not suggest that...
For a start we could send out for pizza and beers, picket this site, and get some high kicking girls thrown in...just so that these developers know they are sleeping on the job.

THAT LINK
And about that link, before you send me to bed... 
I am located in Singapore and it IS 10:16PM Monday Night.
I have seen it before. Read and listened to a number of the features.
Thanx man, you have been a big help and very fortright. That is admirable.

Thanx a bunch.

Darkstar
bedduin, Personal Brain isn't a web creation/authoring tool. Although I personally find it is useful in the design of web sites.

If you need a web creation/authoring tool, I'd suggest you try out any of the dozens of them. Many will allow you to create, edit, and upload your web creation to wherever you specify. They range in price from free, to many thousands of dollars, depending on just what you want in your web toolset creator and editor and how much you are willing to spend on them to get it.
-Darkstar
bedduin
Hey Darkstar

Thanx for the comment.
I do know it is not such an application.

I have done a few websites, I can do some basic coding.
But I work smart not hard, the technology exists to do many things faster better and I am what you call an applied user...
In my world I kinda like to see how this is made up, use it, benefit from its utility and wonder at the whole thing...

NOT AUTHORING TOOL
I also do not expect it to be all things to all persons.

SURE AN AESTHETIC BRAIN MENU THAT HAS UTILITY MUST BE POSSIBLE?
As an applied user of many software this seems like the next logical step.
And if this is not so.
Then a MENU system driven by th brain concept is surely a that step.
It is the challenge of the current application to its developers.
It wants to be somebody, it begs to be all it can be...if you get my meaning.

CHALLENGE IS OUT THERE - NOT BY ME - BUT BY ITS EXISTENCE
So this challenge is out there, spoken or unspoken....now shared here.
The fact is however, I have seen and bought many products over the years, that held so much promise and achieved so little... and their websites have become cobwebs on the internet space in time.
Many go to that big place in the sky, for one reason or another.
Such promise, such waste...

WEBSITES WITH BRAIN
(Although I personally find it is useful in the design of web sites.)
I refer to the above...
Can you please post me a link.

Perhaps that is what I need to see, for me to shut up here.
Thanx man for the time and effort
Peace

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software