rengel
What can I do with the BrainBox that I couldn't do with Drag&Drop in v8 or v9? So far, I understand that it only puts the address of a webpage in a box from where I can drag it into a brain. That's more steps than a mere drag&drop right into the brain.

YMMV, but for me 'Instant Information Capture' means that I capture all or some of the data (text, pictures, links, etc.) of a webpage and put it in my brain, not only the address. So I don't lose this information should the address ever go stale. An address is just meta information, not the information itself.

The required additional 'Log in' step is just a nuisance. It requires me to use the roundabout route via TheBrain server. I understand that this is required when one wants to sync brains across multiple appliances. But this is not something I want to do. What then, is the value of the BrainBox?

If I just want to collect and view information from different locations without distributing them to different thoughts it is easier to create a separate 'collector' thought in the brain instead of using a different tab.

So, apart from the syncing function, what is the surplus value of the BrainBox? Reading the teaser page on your website (https://www.thebrain.com/docs/brainbox) doesn't tell me.

(Yes, and I know, if I don't want to use the BrainBox, I don't have to use it, because the old way to capture information still works. Thanks for that!)
Reinhard, TB 10.0.36.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
metta
@rengel ~

For years people here in the forum have been requesting a web-based "In Box" option for quickly capturing (bookmarking) thoughts while browsing. My assumption is that the Brain Box has been designed to serve this function.

However, I tend to agree with you: the login requirement (though necessary) is a bit of a nuisance -- and, in the end, this separate In Box (which is not integrated with or connected to any of my other thoughts, and which is not accessible using the search function) ends up creating more work for me in the end since I have to revisit many of stored links to figure out why I saved them in the first place.

What has worked much better for me over the years is creating a streamlined collection of topical "Quick Drop" thoughts in my mega brain. If I'm in a hurry, I just drag/drop the URL into my brain (as you've suggested) and link the to appropriate "Quick Drop" parent.  Any quick notes I want to add can also be included, and then even if I don't get around to integrating this thought into my brain until weeks (or even months) later, at least it will show up in a search -- at which point this saved item can be more thoughtfully integrated into the rest of my brain.

Also, thanks to Ruud, I'm now using a great browser plugin (Save Page We - available in both Chrome & Firefox) that allows users to instantly capture web page content into a single compact file. This has been a huge and welcome time saver for ensuring that I don't lose web content that might disappear at some point in the future. My guess is this plugin might come in handy for you, too. 😉
rengel
@metta
Thanks for the tip! For a long time, I've been using 'Print friendly' (https://www.printfriendly.com/) for this purpose. It creates compact PDF files which I then drag&drop into a brain.
Reinhard, TB 10.0.36.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
metta
Cool! Apparently great minds (you and Ruud) think alike. 😉
bmac
While I love the brain, I also heavily use OneNote which has a very convenient feature from any browser called 'Clip to OneNote'. It will send the entire web page as formatted text along with an active link to whatever OneNote page you specify. OneNote is free as it comes with Window 10. Once in OneNote, you can right-click the page title and copy its link to paste in the notes area of TB9 or TB10. 
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 2017, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i7
joshsullivan
For myself, BrainBox has come in handy while I am not on a computer where the TheBrain is installed. For example, I have four different VMs that I regularly use for work. I've found it very easy while in those VMs to click on the BrainBox, and the link I am currently viewing is saved for processing later. My biggest gripe with it now is that it has a limited session. I've requested a more extended session time, so I don't need to sign in every day to add items to BrainBox. Hopefully, this changes sooner rather than later. 

More often I am saving links on my iPhone or iPad to the BrainBox. The ability for it to sync to the desktop version allows for processing later. Notes are still extremely limited on the iOS versions, and I find the experience cumbersome and challenging to get through on iOS.

I think if you use a computer that does not have TheBrain on it, or you if use the mobile versions then the BrainBox is beneficial. Otherwise, it may not fit into your workflow. For myself, while on a computer with TheBrain installed, I prefer using Keyboard Maestro with this macro by @zenrain. Or on Windows, I use an AutoHotKey script to accomplish the same.
TheBrain 10.0.40.0
macOS 10.14.3
Windows 10 1803
danlandrum
BrainBox has proven handy in combination with DEVONthink Pro, with DT Pro generally serving as my ubiquitous inbox. From DT Pro I tend to decide what needs to happen to files and if they would be best if converted to some other format, for instance from plain pdf, to a pdf+text file. I'll generally process my email attachments into DT Pro, and then decide how I'll need to use those files for upcoming meetings or ongoing issues/projects. Dragging a list of ready-to-be-used files to the TheBrain icon then puts them in BrainBox. I then jump into TheBrain and process them so they'll pop up as I need them, often with multiple connections. TheBrain's visual interface shines when actual work is happening in real-time. I've found it harder to make the connections work for my real brain in real-time work scenarios if I only use tagging and folders in DT Pro. Thank you for creating BrainBox. 
OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
mctrexler
Metta, you made reference above to Save Page We. If you drag and drop a URL into your brain, how many steps are involved in saving the page and moving that html file into the thought just created by the URL.  Would be great if close to seamless.  I assume the files aren't large?  

Mark
metta
@Mark ~

The process of saving and archiving web pages in TheBrain using Save Page WE is quick and easy:
  • Drag the URL into TB to create the thought where the page will be archived.
  • 1-click to save the entire web page to my desktop using the Save Page WE shortcut on my browser's navigation bar. (FYI, the saved page will automatically inherit the name of the original web page.)
  • Drag/drop the saved HTML file onto the recently created thought
  • Move the HTML file into brain
  • Optional: Rename attached HTML file, if desired.
File sizes of course depend upon the upon the size of the page being saved, but in most cases the saved pages are not large at all -- and, in the vast majority of cases, the saved page is identical to the page in the browser. The saved page also includes working links that will take you back out to your browser.

One of the best plugins I've ever used. Thanks again, Ruud, for the great suggestion! ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’°Å¸Ëœâ€°
metta
@Mark ~

Please be aware, though, there may be some problems with the way attached HTML pages display in the embedded browser in TB10.

I have not yet tested this much at all yet since I'm still working in TB8 (too may bugs and missing features for me in TB10).

However, my current experience is that the saved HTML pages display as raw code (instead of the visual display) when using the embedded browser in TB10 desktop -- and, in the web client, the white background on HTML pages displays as grey.

In light of this, If you intend to archive pages to share in a public brain, be sure to do thorough testing in TB10 to make sure you are satisfied with the display of the saved HTML pages wherever the brain is going to be shared: in the browser and/or or the desktop.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software