rengel
What can I do with the BrainBox that I couldn't do with Drag&Drop in v8 or v9? So far, I understand that it only puts the address of a webpage in a box from where I can drag it into a brain. That's more steps than a mere drag&drop right into the brain.

YMMV, but for me 'Instant Information Capture' means that I capture all or some of the data (text, pictures, links, etc.) of a webpage and put it in my brain, not only the address. So I don't lose this information should the address ever go stale. An address is just meta information, not the information itself.

The required additional 'Log in' step is just a nuisance. It requires me to use the roundabout route via TheBrain server. I understand that this is required when one wants to sync brains across multiple appliances. But this is not something I want to do. What then, is the value of the BrainBox?

If I just want to collect and view information from different locations without distributing them to different thoughts it is easier to create a separate 'collector' thought in the brain instead of using a different tab.

So, apart from the syncing function, what is the surplus value of the BrainBox? Reading the teaser page on your website (https://www.thebrain.com/docs/brainbox) doesn't tell me.

(Yes, and I know, if I don't want to use the BrainBox, I don't have to use it, because the old way to capture information still works. Thanks for that!)
Reinhard TB 9.1.19.0 and 10.0.25.0. WIN 10

Quality is the result of the attention paid to details.
metta
@rengel ~

For years people here in the forum have been requesting a web-based "In Box" option for quickly capturing (bookmarking) thoughts while browsing. My assumption is that the Brain Box has been designed to serve this function.

However, I tend to agree with you: the login requirement (though necessary) is a bit of a nuisance -- and, in the end, this separate In Box (which is not integrated with or connected to any of my other thoughts, and which is not accessible using the search function) ends up creating more work for me in the end since I have to revisit many of stored links to figure out why I saved them in the first place.

What has worked much better for me over the years is creating a streamlined collection of topical "Quick Drop" thoughts in my mega brain. If I'm in a hurry, I just drag/drop the URL into my brain (as you've suggested) and link the to appropriate "Quick Drop" parent.  Any quick notes I want to add can also be included, and then even if I don't get around to integrating this thought into my brain until weeks (or even months) later, at least it will show up in a search -- at which point this saved item can be more thoughtfully integrated into the rest of my brain.

Also, thanks to Ruud, I'm now using a great browser plugin (Save Page We - available in both Chrome & Firefox) that allows users to instantly capture web page content into a single compact file. This has been a huge and welcome time saver for ensuring that I don't lose web content that might disappear at some point in the future. My guess is this plugin might come in handy for you, too. 😉
rengel
@metta
Thanks for the tip! For a long time, I've been using 'Print friendly' (https://www.printfriendly.com/) for this purpose. It creates compact PDF files which I then drag&drop into a brain.
Reinhard TB 9.1.19.0 and 10.0.25.0. WIN 10

Quality is the result of the attention paid to details.
metta
Cool! Apparently great minds (you and Ruud) think alike. 😉

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software