ibsteve
Hello Harlan,

It's been awhile. I would really like to purchase PB Pro for a project but need the long promised Mac features. Could you tell me what is actually working so I can make a judgment call. My beta is coming up as the free addition so I really have no idea what is what.

Thanks,

Stephen Scheaffer
danlandrum
Broad question there.  Is there something specific you need to know?  Everything Harlan says works, works.  It is still a beta, and has a little edge clean up needed, but many of us, on all platforms, use it exclusively.
OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
zenrain
As far as what's working currently, there are several differences between OSX version and Windows:
  • Autohide - This is not available in the Mac version. I believe when asked the reasoning was that Expose allows this functionality. However, I hope it's reconsidered at some point as now Windows 7 has similar Expose functionality.
  • Drag and Drop Mail - In windows, this populates the notes with the content of the e-mail. It's only added as an attachment in OSX. Also, when adding an e-mail it has to be highlighted in Mail first before the drag and drop to work.
  • Adding Contacts and Calendar events - Unlike drag and drop in Windows Outlook, you have to do an extended search with text from either the contact or event. It will appear in the search results, and you have to add them from there. Also, you cannot add them to an existing thought, they always create a child thought to the active thought. In Windows when creating a new thought by adding a contact their information will appear in the notes. 
  • Outlook is only supported in Windows. Mail, Address Book and iCal are supported in OSX.
  • Quicklook _ Available on Mac (although not with the default OSX keybindings), although there is an issue with activating it using a keyboard accelerator currently (when there are multiple file attachments). Right click works fine. Obviously this isn't available in Windows
  • File Indexing - The OSX version doesn't use the indexing software the Windows version does, instead it uses spotlight. Because of this it's been slightly slower in my experience.
As far as I'm aware, those are the only differences. I'm not sure what else is coming for the Mac version, they are usually tight lipped about upcoming features, but maybe someone from TheBrain may add something.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
ibsteve
Quote:
  • Drag and Drop Mail - In windows, this populates the notes with the content of the e-mail. It's only added as an attachment in OSX. Also, when adding an e-mail it has to be highlighted in Mail first before the drag and drop to work.
  • Adding Contacts and Calendar events - Unlike drag and drop in Windows Outlook, you have to do an extended search with text from either the contact or event. It will appear in the search results, and you have to add them from there. Also, you cannot add them to an existing thought, they always create a child thought to the active thought. In Windows when creating a new thought by adding a contact their information will appear in the notes. 
Thanks for this. So from what I see not a whole lot has changed for us OSX people. To get a return of several hundred hits in a small window with 10 per window in the extended search is just not a workable option for me.

I love PB but I still feel OSX is a step child to the window version.

Thanks,
Steve
ibsteve
Quote:

Thanks for this. From what I see not a whole lot has changed for us OSX people. To get a return of several hundred hits in a small window with 10 per window in the extended search is just not a workable option for me.

I love PB but I still feel OSX is a step child to the window version.

Thanks,
Steve
dyslucksia
Quote: To get a return of several hundred hits in a small window with 10 per window in the extended search is just not a workable option for me.

If you mean the Extended/Advanced Search Results window, it's no better for us. Both Instant Search and Advanced Search results windows are poorly designed for practical use. If I get more than a few results, the only way I can handle them is to add them to the selection box, assign them a temporary tag, make the tag the active tht in the plex, and view them that way.

Unfortunately, since Instant Search results can't be added to selection, you have to do it all via Advanced Search.
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
richramos
Quote: Thanks for this. From what I see not a whole lot has changed for us OSX people. To get a return of several hundred hits in a small window with 10 per window in the extended search is just not a workable option for me.

There are solutions to this that I think are available even in the released 5.0 version.

1) In the Preferences -> Search tab there is a "Results per page" option that you can set as high as "50" (which is 5x better than 10

2) You can double click the "Search" results tab to maximize the search results to the entire screen to get a bigger window.

(In the "Pro" edition you can turn the search results into a "floating" window and essentially "tear away" so that you can see both a large results window and the brain plex)

Does that help?
-Rich
ibsteve
Quote: If you mean the Extended/Advanced Search Results window, it's no better for us. Both Instant Search and Advanced Search results windows are poorly designed for practical use. If I get more than a few results, the only way I can handle them is to add them to the selection box, assign them a temporary tag, make the tag the active tht in the plex, and view them that way.

Unfortunately, since Instant Search results can't be added to selection, you have to do it all via Advanced Search.

I understand. That needs to be fixed. But for OSX this is a problem because the drag and drop is not implemented for mail (only a link...what happens when using it via a thumb drive on several machines?) calendar and mail. I don't mean to be a problem but you can only say we are working on it for so long before it starts to look like you don't care or are not able to code for the platform.

Like I said I really love PB but these "work a rounds" are an insult to those of us that because of the quality and intelligence of PB expect more. 
zenrain
Drag and drop functionality for Outlook is just a link also. Well, actually as of 5.5 you are able to copy the e-mail to the thought, but that development is only a month old. 
Worse, this was practically mandatory on Windows. Moving an e-mail to another folder broke the link, let alone moving drives. Sure that's the fault of Outlook, but we don't have that issue in OSX, if you move the mail to another folder the link is still good. 

I understand you are frustrated, and I agree, PB isn't as good an OSX citizen as I'd like. Bear in mind that the app was just ported over to Java and the Mac and Linux two versions ago. Prior to the latest version (5.x) we had no integration with Mail, iCal or Address Book period, and no searching of attached files. We also had no Quicklook integration. 
It seems pretty evident to me that they do care, and are trying to improve the OSX integration. I'm also not sure how much of the integration issues they are running into are as a result of the Java platform. I'm betting quite a bit.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
ibsteve
Quote: drag and drop functionality for Outlook is just a link also. Well, actually as of 5.5 you are able to copy the e-mail to the thought, but that development is only a month old. 
Worse, this was practically mandatory on Windows. Moving an e-mail to another folder broke the link, let alone moving drives. Sure that's the fault of Outlook, but we don't have that issue in OSX, if you move the mail to another folder the link is still good. 

I understand you are frustrated, and I agree, PB isn't as good an OSX citizen as I'd like. Bear in mind that the app was just ported over to Java and the Mac and Linux two versions ago. Prior to the latest version (5.x) we had no integration with Mail, iCal or Address Book period, and no searching of attached files. We also had no Quicklook integration. 
It seems pretty evident to me that they do care, and are trying to improve the OSX integration. I'm also not sure how much of the integration issues they are running into are as a result of the Java platform. I'm betting quite a bit.

I believe all of this is besides the point. PB is an incredible organizer of notes and thoughts. If it's to be more then this, these functions need to implemented. I don't care if it's drag and drop (something that's been around on the Mac since the beginning) or another mechanism to get the contact and email into PB and linked to something. Daylite has a script that copies the content of your email and creates a note in DL attached to the sender and other objects.

I agree that a lot probably has to do with java, however this is the what the developers chose to write the program in and the end results still need to be the same.

Steve

dyslucksia
Quote: Like I said I really love PB but these "work a rounds" are an insult to those of us that because of the quality and intelligence of PB expect more.

I fully agree.

Then again, for those of us with a little spare time, finding a workaround can be an enjoyable challenge...
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
ibsteve
Quote: It's only added as an attachment in OSX. Also, when adding an e-mail it has to be highlighted in Mail first before the drag and drop to work.

I can't even get this to work. I see a "+" when I drag to the plex but nothing is added...the same goes when I drag it over a thought. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Steve

richramos
>ibsteve 
You might be running into the same issue that I am:

It's not that it doesn't work, it only seems like it doesn't because it takes several MINUTES before the email actually gets attached (I had an issue a couple times pre 5.5.1.5 where it didn't get attached at all too).  The only way to know what it's doing is to watch the log file.

I've been working with TheBrain support on this.  Maybe you could email support your log file so they can see if it's the same issue or just wait to see if mine gets resolved.

-Rich
Darkstar

It would be nice if the Plex had a message scroll out saying "Adding file" or whatever--- in case it takes a while.

-Darkstar

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software