Midwinter
I have been using TheBrain on PC and Android, mostly happily, for quite some time. I recently purchased an iPad Mini so I could have something nice and portable to update my Brain as I read on the train - only to find to my disappointment and bemusement that you have to be online to edit a Brain on iOS.

How on earth did offline editing not make it into your requirements capture, when it's in there for Android and the other platforms? Online only makes Brain for iOS worthless for anyone who lives outside a city, or in a city with underground transport.

When is this basic feature going to be added?
yuryg
I agree with Midwinter. After using brain for 15 years I had to switch away from it because I have migrated to an iPad Pro for most of my work.

Before buying another program I gave the Brain for iPad another college try and had a bad experience again. It is slow , typically lagging and this is over a 100 Mb connection. It is also missing features that I am used to on the desktop version.
pthompson
We do not have any ETA but it will be coming some time after TheBrain 9 release. Offline functionality in our mobile apps is a lower priority.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
Midwinter
Patrick, thank you for the response. Unfortunately - from my perspective, especially given this feature is in the Android version - this means you don't have a functional iOS app. "After TheBrain 9" is likewise not a useful date I can plan around. I'll need to migrate to one of your competitors.
Harlan
A few corrections. First, offline capability for the iOS app will be part of TheBrain 9. The desktop version of TheBrain 9 is now available as a preview release with the mobile versions coming soon thereafter. In case you have not been following TheBrain 9 discussions, this version is a complete rewrite of the entire system, including native versions of the app for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android.

Second, unfortunately in TheBrain 8 we were not able to offer offline capability for either iOS or Android. TheBrain's backend is vastly more powerful than any other mind mapping / visualization product. This makes it much more scalable than our competitors, but it also mean that it is a lot more work to make it available offline on other platforms. Happily, with TheBrain 9 this will be addressed.
Regards,
-Harlan
yuryg
Harlan,

Please make sure that you include an import from OPML format from an on-line service such as Google Drive, Dropbox, or WebDav.

For those of us no longer Using a desktop and had to find a secondary product this would be the only way to migrate, since most of them have OPML export.

Also some suggestions for the product since the one I am using now has this, and I find it very useful. The ability to apply files directly from Google Drive or Dropbox. Since programmatically using the API these are static locations no matter what platform you are using it would be helpful to attack files that have platform independence.
pthompson
Thank you for the suggestion yuryg. We will be sure to consider this as we move forward. 
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
yuryg
Harlan wrote:
Second, unfortunately in TheBrain 8 we were not able to offer offline capability for either iOS or Android. TheBrain's backend is vastly more powerful than any other mind mapping / visualization product. This makes it much more scalable than our competitors, but it also mean that it is a lot more work to make it available offline on other platforms. Happily, with TheBrain 9 this will be addressed.

Harlan I wanted to follow up, there are some things that just can not be held on remote services. I am working on a few projects for work where if the data gets out the company could loose Millions of Dollars which would equate to stock falling, etc ,etc ...  I know that the Amazon servers are OK for most projects, but protected with only a password with no two factor authentication, and no encryption with public key is a risk that I can not take. (Especially since I also work on the Linux Security team for a Linux OS and know all the unreleased bugs that Amazon can not fix until the official version is out.

For that reason I need to keep all that data off-line. 

At this point I am using NoMachine to access a Mac Desktop with Personal Brain on it through a VPN, which is OK but not intuitive as it could be on the iPad. Ana also does not let me edit on the plane which is a lot (10+ hours a week) of time wasted.

Can you please give us an idea of when Personal Brain 9 for IOS with Local Editing / creating is coming. And perhaps sync /backup to local server (desktop), so that Desktop brain can be used as well.
mcaton
Thanks for posting.  This is a great feature suggestion, to have the ability to move a Brain from desktop to Mobile without going through TheBrain Cloud.  I'll certainly document this request.  Unfortunately, I don't have an answer yet as to if/when this would be available.  The iOS and Android apps are currently in active development.  Once we have more details, we'll be happy to share with the Brain 9 testing community.

Thank you!
Matt
cogmission
Hi Guys,

Love your product! Has there been any update on this capability or any clarification as to when this might be expected?
With kind regards,

David Ray
Java Solutions Architect

Sponsor of:  HTM.java

pthompson
Updates to out mobile apps are in development now. No ETA at this point.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software