PaulaO
I know, nosey question, but I'm considering my options now that the trial has ended. Cost is a big factor so if I am going to spend it, I get what I need which is not necessarily always the cheapest.

As I understand it:
The Pro license is just for Brain 9. I *think* that I'd have to pay for updates such as 9.4 or whatever. It is a one time fee (good) but I'd have to fork over more for updates and upgrades (bad). But I will never loose that version. The no cloud backup is not a biggie for me since I back it up on my own anyway. Unless that also includes viewing the "webbrain", then it is a biggie.

The Pro Service has the updates (not sure about incl. 10?) but is a yearly fee. Includes cloud backup. But if I fail to renew, my license ends and my desktop version reverts back to the free version (bad). The info mentions syncing is available which makes me think this is not incl with the Pro license version??

The Pro Combo is both. Updates, upgrades, web, syncing, and if I fail to pay, I still keep what I got. The bad is the upfront cost.

So which version do others use?
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
shatcher
Hi Paula,

The Pro license, without services, is for TheBrain 9.0 as you described. New purchases get 90 days of free upgrades, meaning if we release 9.1 (or any higher number) within 90 days, you would get that upgrade without any extra cost. This license is a one time fee, and does not expire. It does not have cloud service, which means no viewing Brains online, and no syncing to other devices.

Both the Pro Combo and Pro Service will sync your Brain to the cloud, allow online viewing, and sync to other devices. There are 2 differences between these options:

-Pro Combo renews at a lower price. $159 per year after the initial purchase. From a purely cost standpoint this is cheaper than the Pro Service on the 7th year.

-Pro Service does not come with a license. If your subscription is cancelled, TheBrain 9 reverts to the free version. Any data previously entered is still accessible, but Pro features are locked. The biggest changes are that free doesn't allow attaching files, using Tags or Types, or the Reports and Timeline.

Since these are both subscriptions, any upgrades are included. When the next paid upgrade comes out, users just need to install it and login to activate.

Cheers, Sean
PaulaO
Thank you for the reply! I'm having to use the free version now that the trial is over and it is driving me nuts! It makes me see how dependent I have become to it (but in a good way).
metta
It took me several months of testing TB, and exploring forum posts about TB, before I was ready to make the decision to go "all in" with TheBrain (back in 2012) -- but when I did, I bit the bullet and paid the upfront fee for the full Pro Combo.

I decided if I was going to rely so heavily on TheBrain as the hub of all my information management, I wanted to have access to all the features without limits -- and I wanted the least expensive renewal cost going forward, while still retaining web brain access, which has been invaluable for working remotely and for sharing brain projects with others.

I've not regretted my decision once -- even though I'm still working in TB8 now for my daily use, and I'm only using TB9 on a test basis.

Will be interested to know what you eventually decide.
Xavier
I'm a consultant in ECM and IT project management. When I create my own society, I have decided to manage my knowledge data with TheBrain and by the Pro Licence. After 10 years customer, I think it's a good choice for my business.

I'm certainly frustrated with the TheBrain 9. But, after two years used for the test, I think it's time to migrate my business Brain to V9.

For personal use, I think TheBrain Pro licence it's too expensive. My son tries it for personal use, but today drop out. The price it's prohibitive for students.

So, I think, TheBrain with Pro Licence for knowledge workers it's a good choice. For personal use, I think some competitors are less expensive, but less functionality.
Regards,
Xavier
Xavier
MSI.nc
http://www.msi.nc
---
Windows 10
TheBrain 9.0.264.0 / TheBrain 8.0.2.2
Pro License
PaulaO
Yes, the cost is prohibitive to students or those who think the idea of $300 for a software is a lot (raising my hand). BUT, since I now have the extremely limited free version, and having gotten used to using it for my writing, I am going to fork over the money. It so quickly became an essential part of my organization of not just my writing files, but also personal and house stuff.
metta
Thanks for the update, PaulaO. Glad to know what you've decided.

🙂
PaulaO
I sold part of my soul to my partner who "loaned" me the money. I have to do something for her (vacuum and sweep the windows clear of spider webs) and pay the house account back by late August. I can do that. Not too thrilled about the spider webs but it is evidence of how much I love The Brain.
metta
Oh, I get it, Paula! The sacrifices we make for our dependence on TheBrain. ðŸ˜‰
PaulaO
I had quickly realized how much I had become dependent on it when the free version removed types and tags and other stuff. It was frustrating so I stopped using it. But I couldn't because I had information in it I needed.

I liked being able to just go right there, search, and find it. Boom, done.
dlorde
I've been using TheBrain (personal use) for at least 16 years (it was Personal Brain then), and was happy with version 8 (Pro license), but I didn't want to miss out on all the improvements promised for version 9. 

After limited testing (I don't think the unrestricted trial was long enough), I decided to get the v9 Pro license, but I don't think it's yet realised the promises, and it's less convenient in several ways.

I think the pricing is set too high for personal use - I've taken an 'early adopter pays more' approach, but it still feels overpriced for a yearly license, and I don't see it coming down. 
metta
@dlorde ~

I'm with you on the v9 promises and convenience issues. My test use of TB9 continues to be plagued with crashes, error reports and bugs; there are a lot of missing features; and there are still a lot of limitations in the web client.

However, I'm still holding out hope these promises will be realized in the months to come -- and in the meantime, as time-consuming as it is, I'm keeping TB Support apprised of all the bugs when/as they appear.

Regarding pricing, I rarely hear anyone here in the forum mention they've opted for the $15/month option which provides all the Pro features plus web client services, and it avoids the huge upfront fee.

I realize this option is ultimately more expensive in the long run, but it does give the user almost a year to test the software before the pricing value is completely lost -- and I know many of us spend way more than $15/month on coffee alone. (This monthly cost actually comes down to $13.25/month if we do opt to pay the up-front fee.)

Just wondering: is there anyone here who has opted to use the $15/month payment option?

@PaulaO ~

Totally agree with you on the value of the search function. TB is almost worth it to me just for this feature alone. ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒÃ‚°Ã…¸Ëœ‰
PaulaO
TheBrain is not worth it for personal use only unless one had a LOT of items they wanted to interconnect. My brother has a huge DVD collection and I'm trying to talk him into inputting them into a Brain. Director, producer, actors, etc just to see the interconnections. If he could do it without attachments, types, or tags, he'd be able to use the free version. But I don't see that as being useful. I may just do it for him next time I am up.

I am attempted to avoid duplication of research efforts. For example, I have a series. For each book in the series, I have at least one worldbuild file. And the series itself will have one usually. Since it is a series, there will be repeating elements of the research and notes (such as character descriptions). It can get frustrating trying to remember which bit of information is in which file. With TB9, I can interlink all the bits and quickly find it. That is, once it is all in there!

I don't see a use for TB if the writing aspect were removed. While it is cool to see my contacts interlinked, it's not enough.

If only there was an option for quick, rapid fire, spit out thoughts mindmapping side to it, it would become my most used software other than LibreOffice. TB requires pre-planning to some degree.
shatcher
Dav,
A license without cloud service is a one time payment; no recurring fee. TheBrain Cloud service requires a subscription. For users with the Pro Combo the annual renewal is $159. For those with the Pro Service it renews at $180. The difference between these two options is that if a user cancels service on the Pro Combo plan, they have a license and keep Pro features while the Pro Service reverts to free when the subscription is cancelled.

Metta,
About pricing, we do not have a monthly option at this time. Nobody mentions it because nobody has that payment plan. The Pro Services states:
$15 / month*
*Billed at $180 / year
Store.png 
metta
Sean, $15/month (billed annually) is what I meant -- and I've never heard of anyone here in the forum using this option, which is why I asked.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software