CaptainJustice
Title says it all. I have a Brain on the order of 10,000 thoughts, with 1600 internal and 900 external file attachments. 

I'm curious of experience with similarly-sized Brains (or at least something less than a mega-brain).
-- The Cap'n
Surface Pro 4, Windows 10
Dell XPS 15 laptop, Windows 10
Samsung 7Edge
mcaton
Cap,

Two of my Brains are roughly the same size.  I'm full on committed to v9 [smile]

You can certainly update and kick the tires first before you make your decision.  Your V8 databases will not be modified when you import into v9.

Thanks,
Matt
sibleyd
I have nearly 15,000 thoughts and well over 10,000 internal attachments. Far fewer, but numerous notes and links. I have had zero problems arising from size of the brain including zero sluggishness. The only issue I have is a wish list of new or enhanced features. The essential features are all there. It is a very good tool
metta
Just curious, sibleyd:
> Are you on a Mac or a PC?
> If you are on a PC, what version of Windows are you running?
sibleyd
PC. Windows 10
metta
Thanks, sibleyd. Good to know.
mbaas
20k thoughts in my Mega-Brain, 3k internal attachments. Made the move several months ago and am not regretting it. The HUGE bonus for me is that I can now view and edit my thoughts on the iPhone [smile] W10-64 on the desktop.
Cerebrum
mbaas wrote: The HUGE bonus for me is that I can now view and edit my thoughts on the iPhone [smile] The iPhone app has always allowed you to edit the name and color of thoughts in a TB8 brain, but not as easily as you can now in TB9. Also, the TB9 version allows you to see and edit the thought's Type and Tags, which, in a TB8 brain, could be changed by adding or removing Types and Tags as parent thoughts. 

The TB9 iPhone version is definitely better than TB8 but it's still difficult to see very many thoughts on a such a small device. It would be even better if there was a way of (optionally) viewing child thoughts as a list.
mbaas
Yes, you are right - the UI generally is nice, but several things are just a pain (like dealing with long thought name), I like the list-idea, but would like multi-line-lists ;-))
CaptainJustice
sibleyd wrote:
I have nearly 15,000 thoughts and well over 10,000 internal attachments. Far fewer, but numerous notes and links. I have had zero problems arising from size of the brain including zero sluggishness. The only issue I have is a wish list of new or enhanced features. The essential features are all there. It is a very good tool

What is on your wish list? 
-- The Cap'n
Samsung 7Edge
sibleyd
http://forums.thebrain.com/post/checking-out-9458999?pid=1301731208

That is my list. Since making that list, I added enhancements to note search and replace so the search and replace can operate globally over a selected group of thoughts/notes or a thought/note and all its children, grandchildren, etc.

The improvement most pressing now from my perspective is improvements in previews. I put my emails into Brain (msg and eml files). It irritates me that I cannot see them like I can see PDFs. I also find that the doc/docx preview does not work a good percentage of the time. Even when it does work, it isn’t automatic. I think the preview should just be there like the pdf preview without having to press a button.

I think all common file types should be previewed.
advisors
37k thoughts, 54k links, 7k notes, 2k internal files

Still in the process of importing it from tb8 to tb9 (seems it's now working).

Started to add thoughts to only tb9 (so I'm stuck with it now ...).

Still not clear to me if and how I can keep both versions and merge the 8 version into 9 from time to time.
marcus
I'm on a Mac using a brain w/ 15k thoughts and I've switched to v9 to be able to use the iOS version for better mobile access. It has a long way to go, but the improvements are big enough that I made the switch.

The desktop UI is definitely much more sluggish than v8. In fact, I've just spent several hours researching and using The Brain 9 and came here just to reiterate that the slowness is very real. I wish it wasn't, I have no desire to nitpick or complain, but the slowness really does take away from the enjoyment I get from using the software.

If I find some way around this, I'll post an update, but for now the UI in 9.0.231.0 on High Sierra on a relatively new Macbook Pro is very slow.

Search is VERY fast, the notes view is just fine, but the app menus and moving around the plex are slow enough to where I have to think twice before clicking a thought to decide if the wait is worth it.

metta
Thank you, Marcus, for confirming this is not just a Windows issue.

(FWIW, the performance on my Win7 installation is usually even slower than that illustrated in your video.)
CaptainJustice
marcus wrote: I'm on a Mac using a brain w/ 15k thoughts and I've switched to v9 to be able to use the iOS version for better mobile access. It has a long way to go, but the improvements are big enough that I made the switch.

The desktop UI is definitely much more sluggish than v8. In fact, I've just spent several hours researching and using The Brain 9 and came here just to reiterate that the slowness is very real. I wish it wasn't, I have no desire to nitpick or complain, but the slowness really does take away from the enjoyment I get from using the software.

If I find some way around this, I'll post an update, but for now the UI in 9.0.231.0 on High Sierra on a relatively new Macbook Pro is very slow.

Search is VERY fast, the notes view is just fine, but the app menus and moving around the plex are slow enough to where I have to think twice before clicking a thought to decide if the wait is worth it.

I would say my thought-opening speed is about the same as yours. On a Windows 10, Surface Pro 4 with 256gb SSD and 8mb ram.
-- The Cap'n
Samsung 7Edge

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software