OM2
I've just downloaded TheBrain and am trying out

I can't get my head round why you can't have more that 3 nodes off the main starting node

YES: you can create more nodes, but they stem from ONLY one of the other nodes
I want to be able to create multiple nodes - why am I restricted?

Other nodes - seem to ONLY be able to have 2 further sub nodes - why is this?

AND... why is it that sub nodes have fixed positions?
You can't seem to move them around freely - this is really annoying

Thanks

Michael

zoner
It sounds like you are using the normal view. In the normal view you only see one generation above and below the active thought. Also, in the normal view the thoughts stay in fixed locations. Try using the new expanded view instead. Check out the view menu to find it or you can right click the plex I think. In the expanded view you can place your thoughts where you want.
zenrain
Welcome to the forum OM2. The three gates that are on the thought (or node) are the bases for structuring the database. It's similar to mindmapping where you have a parent or a child node, or a file system, where you can have sub-folders in a main folder. In TheBrain these are the equivalent of Parent and Child thoughts/nodes. In addition, they added an additional type of link, a jump thought.

The gates serve several purposes, they provide an easy location to drag links from, and also if thoughts are linked to that gate but aren't visisble on the plex, they turn a different color so you can easily tell there's stuff you can't see.

I'd highly recommend you check out the user guide to get a better idea of what the software does, and if it's right for you.
macOS 10.12.3
TheBrain 9.0.161
OM2
thanks for the replies guys
i've looked at the manual in the link given
it's got several pictures
in non of the pictures, there are never more than 3 nodes off the main central one
yes: there are several lines that come out of the bottom node

i have to admit: i've already uninstalled since i didn't like this bit

i've tried 4 'mind mapping' softwares
my favourite: thebrain!
ONLY because of this one factor - not being able to create more sub nodes am i forced to not use  
otherwise, i would have been a happy buyer

please let me know if i am actually missing something
the first reply mentioned changing views - are u 100% sure this would allow me more sub modes? for example, what if i wanted 4 - one on each corner??

thanks
mbaas
Hi OM2, welcome to the forum! :-)

You can only create links to the top, bottom or left of a thought, but you can create (nearly) limitless connections on each of these 'connectors' (or 'gates', as they are called in Brain-lingo).
And I must admit, I never felt the need for more gates, but maybe I'm too simplistic for that. So far, I think, every modelling-question we discussed here (as well as in my consulting when selling PB) could be solved with these 3 gates, so it might just be an issue of getting more acquainted with PB's way of 'thinking'...

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software