igoldsmid
Is there a plan to provide wild cards for search? Also how about word stemming beyond that already implicit in Thought name search?

Can you say any more about any of the query operators (search syntax) that will be provided for "advanced" searching?

Thanks!

Ian

IJG
Harlan

Here you go:

Word Expansion and Quotation Marks

The terms submitted into a query are automatically expanded so that other forms of the word are automatically found. This means that the plurality, verb tense and other word variations do not matter.

Word expansion is also done by finding synonyms for the search terms. If quotation marks are used, synonym word expansion is turned off.

Word Sequence and Quotation Marks

The sequence of words normally ignored so that items matching the terms are found regardless of whether the terms occur in the exact sequence entered.

When searching for a phrase, title, or other sequence of words in an exact sequence, surround the terms with quotation marks so that the sequence of the terms will be preserved.

Searching for All Terms or Select Terms

With the exception of “stop words” (common words that occur in most documents such as “the” and “you”), all search terms entered in a query are considered in finding matches. Normally only results that contain all of the search terms are returned.

• To make one or more search terms optional, use “OR” between the terms.
  • To make some search terms required and some optional, use a combination of “AND” and “OR” between terms with parenthesis to indicate priority.
  • To eliminate results containing search terms, prefix the term with “NOT”.

Regards,
-Harlan
igoldsmid
"plurality, verb tense and other word variations do not matter."

That, I've discovered, is not sufficient unfortunately. It would be orders of magnitude better if it were possible (like it is in top desktop search tools like X1) to use any word fragments to find occurrences of such fragments in any words in any thoughts & thought notes (particularly in notes)... in other words it is not necessary to rely on
plurality, verb tense and other (presumably limited by standard look up tables?) word variations..

Thanks,

IJG
IJG
Harlan
I've added the wildcard search capability to the feature request list Ian. Thanks for your input.

Regards,
-Harlan
Regards,
-Harlan
SKoehn
In addition to the use of wildcards, I would like to be able to do the kinds of serches that I had always wished that the "Find" feature in PB3 could have performed if it had full boolean search capability. For example: something like this

name[*frag1* OR *frag2*] AND keyword[kywd1 AND NOT kywd2] AND note[word_or_phrase]

OR

name[*frag*] AND NOT type[type1 OR type2] AND attach[word_or_phrase]
Harlan
We're working on a more advanced search that will allow you to search using the various fields (name, notes, keywords, label, attachment, attachment name, etcetera) that will be available as part of a future release.

Regards,
-Harlan
Regards,
-Harlan
Spacenexus
Hi

Maybe this is being covered by Steven's request above, but can boolean type searches be added referring to links to other thoughts? For example i want to search for all thoughts linked to the thoughts Fish AND Boat, or all thoughts linked to Chopper but NOT Cutlery!

Instead of searching for specific thoughts it's more searching for selections of thoughts based on context.

Am i making sense here on this? I mean, technically the AND function is the same as temporarily jumplinking two thoughts and hovering the cursor over the jump thought to highlight the thoughts linking to both the active thought and the jumplinked thought, but it doesn't allow for more advanced selection.

I feel i'm not being clear here but will await comments.

cheers

Jim

@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
dreynolds
I believe I get the gist of what you are saying. You would like to be able to use the keywords like AND and OR. The keyword AND would require that both words be present, while the keyword OR would just require one. Is this what you were getting at? This is something that is being considered.
Harlan

dreynolds wrote: I believe I get the gist of what you are saying. You would like to be able to use the keywords like AND and OR. The keyword AND would require that both words be present, while the keyword OR would just require one. Is this what you were getting at? This is something that is being considered.

Actually, AND and OR functionality is already working...

I think Jim is asking about the ability to exclude or include thoughts in the search based on what other thoughts they are connected to... Is this right Jim?

-Harlan
Regards,
-Harlan
FransJehoul
Hello,

AND and OR have to be in uppercase!

Kind regards

Frans
Spacenexus
Harlan

Quote: I think Jim is asking about the ability to exclude or include thoughts in the search based on what other thoughts they are connected to... Is this right Jim?

Yes, that's what i'm getting at. The way you summarised it also sparks the idea that it doesn't have to be just parent thoughts as the contextual search, but why not child or jump thoughts too. However, searching by combinations of parent thougths would definately be great.

thanks

Jim
@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
Harlan
We're looking into being able to filter your search results so that only the selection is searched.

This way you can select the thoughts you want to search (using crawl and/or by ctrl-clicking on thoughts and gates) then perform your search within that.
Regards,
-Harlan
Ray
When typing a string in the search box the result list only finds thoughts that start with the same string that is entered. Thoughts where the search string is in the second word are not found. 

The KurzweilAI web site uses PersonalBrain and the search box there will find thoughts where the search sting is not at the beginning of the thought name. It would be nice if PB4 allowed for this type of search.

PB4 has the Search botton but searches using this take a while and find the search string anywhere and is not restricted to finding the string just inthe thought name.

Ray
Langley, BC
Harlan

The search button is intended for searches where the thought name does not start with the entered text. Thought matches are displayed at the top of the results list prior to any content matches. This lets you find thoughts easily regardless of where the search term occurs.

Regards,
-Harlan
grave
Maybe, using wildcard (like `*`) in quick search field is good idea? Harlan, what do you think?
Now, when we begin typing in quick search field, we see thoughts names starting with same letters. Suggestion is using wildcards, for example, we begin typing with asterix:
and see all thought names list. Then continue typing and see all thoughts with this letter or sequence of letters in any part of matched names. Example:
*rain
and suggestion list contain thoughts like:
Personal Brain
Cyclonic Rain
Something rainbow

I think this is very very useful!

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software