GerSch
I just read an interesting article:
http://blogs.office.com/2014/03/03/work-like-a-network-enterprise-social-and-the-future-of-work/

TheBrain still has no real competitor, but because they simulates natural thinking, it is a question of time until others will do so, too.
enkidu
Well spotted !

[PREDICTION]
TheBrain had better make the default interface "more glitzy", or risk boring the masses to its undeserved death
[/PREDICTION]

[PREDICTION number 2]
This thread will explode (;-)
[/PREDICTION]

cheers
enkidu

pthompson
We have some amazing things coming in the near future. That is all I can say at this point. [wink]
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
HeinrichUnger
Hi Enkidu, Hi Patrick,

this thread will not explode cause of the Little amount of visitors [rolleyes]

But my Suggestion of thinking graphics would be joining OneNote and TheBrain. OneNote ist a very good store of everything and has no visualisation. TheBrain is not a good text and Picture box - so joining this two would be a winning team

BR
Heinrich
HeinrichUnger
pthompson wrote: We have some amazing things coming in the near future. That is all I can say at this point. [wink]

Hi Patrick,

sorry I will be glad if there are really some amazing things. But at the Moment I have some doubts. Cause releasing new things was really a Little bit slow [wink] 

But as the german say. We will see, what we will see.

Heinrich
Bfdonnelly
TheBrain really needs to nail the round trip from outline to networked thoughts and back again. It's an "idea processor" first.

TheBrain represents the connections between bits of information in a networked way that is topologically different from the tree-like arrangement of a conventional outline. However, when people need to represent information in a narrative, they need to flatten that network into a tree-like arrangement that still tracks the connections. That means that if I have a child thought that's the child of two parents, then when it's flattened into an outline I need to see it under both parents. Now, TheBrain does that, but only the first time. The children of the child thought only show up once, somewhat randomly.

Parent A
     Child
          Grandchild
Parent B
     #Child

There's little control over where the grandchild goes. TheBrain needs to provide a way to pick which way to flatten the information. Whichever tool does it better will have an advantage.

I think that the challenge can best be met by letting users lay down a narrative thread: a linear tour through the networked thoughts. It could be done by highlighting the thoughts as you go, occasionally cutting out or adding a leg of the tour. Don't make it a problem of plain processing. Make users figure out how to tour through the thoughts. Basically, it would be a "crawl" of the Brain, but a manually-drawn one. Adriane's narrative thread.
enkidu
Hello

I'm not sure I follow you. For me :

narrative = workflow = flowchart

TheBrain is more a neural network app, NOT a workflow/flowchart application.
The outline view is a secondary (in my opinion) aspect, as outlines are inherently hyerarchical.

Rather than "letting users lay down a narrative thread" (which I can do with any flowchart app), I would rather have TheBrain lay out the path between any two points chosen by me.

In other words, what is the use of a neural network where I need to know everything ?
I just want to dump all my data, and have the application find paths for me (some of which I may know, most of which I expect not to).

It's like data mining / data visualisation : the app shows you, through different visualisations, patterns that you didn't necessarily pick up when looking at it traditionally.

my 2 [euro] cents ...
cheers
enkidu

enkidu

tried this free app :

http://www.yworks.com/en/products_yed_about.html

lots of layout options :

http://www.yworks.com/en/products_yfiles_practicalinfo_gallery.html

all good examples of where TheBrain needs to go (interface and data-viewing-wise) if it wants to please the masses.

cheers
enkidu

HeinrichUnger
Hi Enkidu,

thx - this yed Looks pretty good.
enkidu
Hallo Herr Heinrich

yes, it's automatic layout, not dynamic layout like TheBrain.
But hey, we know we cant have everything no ?

;-)

cheers
enkidu

rengel
Bfdonnelly wrote:

TheBrain represents the connections between bits of information in a networked way that is topologically different from the tree-like arrangement of a conventional outline. However, when people need to represent information in a narrative, they need to flatten that network into a tree-like arrangement that still tracks the connections. That means that if I have a child thought that's the child of two parents, then when it's flattened into an outline I need to see it under both parents. Now, TheBrain does that, but only the first time. The children of the child thought only show up once, somewhat randomly.

If you want to create such structures, you might want to look at the Leo Editor:

http://leoeditor.com/.

Technically, it's an editor for DAGs (Directed Acyclic Graphs). Alas, it's not graphical. But it gives you outline capabilities with (almost) unlimited multi-parent multi-children relationships to any depth you want. Furthermore, it's  completley open source and fully programmable (in Python). 

Reinhard TB 8.0.1.5 win8-64, J-1.7.0_x
HeinrichUnger
enkidu wrote: Hallo Herr Heinrich

yes, it's automatic layout, not dynamic layout like TheBrain.
But hey, we know we cant have everything no ?

;-)

cheers
enkidu

I am sure it is possible to get both in one application. If there is an algorithm - than IT is mighty enough to rebuild it. It is only a question of ressources (time, Money/Budget, knowledge).

;-)
enkidu
But I am confident, because :

Quote:

We have some amazing things coming in the near future.

!!!

So, the only prerequisite now is : patience ;-)

cheers
enkidu

HeinrichUnger
enkidu wrote: But I am confident, because :

Quote:

We have some amazing things coming in the near future.

!!!

So, the only prerequisite now is : patience ;-)

cheers
enkidu

yes Patience ;-). Beeing decades in developement I don´t trust in Statements like it will be finished on monday. As a projectmanager my answer ist "Okay so it is finished Monday 10th of march 2014 (Gregorian calendar). NOt doing so, tends to have the answer every week, cause there is always a monday following.

So "near future" is al Little bit imprecise. If patrick is think in geologic history periods - the near future maybe is after the next glacial epoch ;-)

But maybe TheBrain will overwhelm us, we are only slow dinosaur, and the next amazing Thing will be Meteor strike

Have a nice day
Heinrich
rengel
HeinrichUnger wrote:
thx - this yed Looks pretty good.

The prices are prohibitive (see: http://www.yworks.com/en/products_yfiles_commercialinfo_prices.html).

If you are looking for affordable graphics solutions, see: http://d3js.org/
Reinhard TB 8.0.1.5 win8-64, J-1.7.0_x

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software