Spacenexus
For various reasons I will probably upgrade to Windows 8 at the end of October for my main machines and getting a couple of W8 tablets to also run full TB7. It would be useful to know the status of any compatibility testing being done with W8 & TB7 in readiness.

Thanks

Jim
@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
pthompson
Jim,

We do not foresee any major issues with TheBrain running on Windows 8. Much of the underlying structure and compatibility in Windows 8 is very similar, if not the same, to Windows 7. We will be doing testing in Windows 8 very soon to make sure, but I don't believe there is anything to be worried about.
Spacenexus
Great to know, thanks Patrick.

Jim
@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
Wisermaniac

Context = Windows 8 64-bit + IE10

When you log in TheBrain.com (internet site) and click to launch a brain, then you get the following error message :

Problem Encountered

This version of Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 or newer. If your browser is already Internet Explorer 8 or newer, please turn off the compatibility view

To solve it, you need to press F12 and select IE9 compatibility mode.

64-bit PB 7.0.4.5 july 27th
Sony VAIO VGN-Z4 / 8MB RAM / 1600x900 / HDD SSD 256 MB
French release of Windows 8 64-bit / IE10 64-bit / Office 2010 64-bit
Wisermaniac
Context : Windows 8 64-bit

TheBrain software 7.0.4.5 64-bit release dated july 27

When using the previous versions of Windows 8 (consumer, RTM and final), I had crashes from time to time but never lost anything.

I just updated Windows 8 (patches) and now I can't even log in TheBrain that stays crashing on launch.

A date forcasted for a new release of TheBrain 64-bit ? (knowing that quite all PCs sold these days are 64-bit ...)

Thanks for your help,

Thierry
Wisermaniac
When do you forecast a tiled Windows 8 version of TheBrain ?

There are yet some new products that were launched with Windows 8 on the marketplace and it's a pity not to see TheBrain there, which is much more powerfull for mind mapping.

By the way, it would be a good approach to make users be ensured that TheBrain is kind of "certified" for Windows 8.

Thx.

glientsc
Is TB also running under Windows RT, the ARM version of Windows 8?
bluenomad
Yes. Every time I asked about Windows 8, I was assured that PB would work.  So, it seems it does not.  Is there any timeline on when PB will operate on ANY tablet? I've been waiting to buy one for many months.
pthompson
bluenomad wrote: Yes. Every time I asked about Windows 8, I was assured that PB would work.  So, it seems it does not.  Is there any timeline on when PB will operate on ANY tablet? I've been waiting to buy one for many months.

TheBrain application does work in Windows 8. The issue that is being asked about here is TheBrain 64-bit, which has problems in Windows 7 as well and does not relate to the OS, and compatibility with http://www.thebrain.com and IE10, which is in the process of being resolved.
Wisermaniac
Do you have an idea of when TheBrain will work correctly in IE10 ?

I told about it months ago when i was testing Windows 8 and at this time it was said "Windows 8 is not realeased yet". It seems your tech guys didnt have an eye on it.

Now that Windows 8 is released ... the problem is still the same though it could have certainely been solved before.

If i sum up :
- PB for Windows 8 64-bit not working correctly
- PB under IE10 not working correctly.

... and i don't have access to my brain on my PC as the .exe PB is crashing on start.

I understand some developpers don't like Windows but i use it and by the way a 64-bit release, and i would like too to be able to use PB on my PC.

I don't think that I'm asking too much about it LOL
pthompson
I don't have a time frame at this point, but we are in the process of testing some fixes. In the meantime, you can simply use any other browser, i.e. Chrome or Firefox.
Wisermaniac
thx but i dont see any need to install another browser than the one i get in Windows otherwise my pc is going to be like a supermarket of useless products.

I'll wait until u get compatible with the standard browser, knowing i mentionned that bug months ago ...

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software