iOnChristopher
So my principal disappointment in the notes tool is that you can D&D stuff into it - and never get anything back out.  Can't even copy an image.  But it SHOULD have an export function to .. something. It doesn't even have a SAVE AS feature - even though the HTML must be in there somewhere. (Don't worry - I figured it out. Follow along for some saving grace tips!)

Perhaps you could give me a clue where the folder is - because step one is just to steal it from its impossibly UID coded tomb.  I will figure this out - but heck - one can hope..

Management has everything in control, and offers the capacity to, instead of having to depend on this seriously flaky, underperforming, no-show milktoast of a utility - I can (maybe) create a full docx file (or whatever) right there in the Brain. If this works, and doesn't have a bear trap waiting for my foot / ankle / lower leg -- all is forgiven.  If not -- blech.

If I drag and drop the same way into Word 2016, and can survive the serious cognitive dissonance of this product that has had more developers touching it than Stormy Daniels has had one-night romances, I can export by saving-as PDF and get a seriously tiny file; or as RTF and get an incomprehensibly enormous file (115Mb vs 543Kb!), MHT - haven't tried that one, DOCX of course ... and a few others. There are a lot of options.  So far it works well with images (and the images are saved in DOCX as lossless) but haven't tried using a DOCX with Video.  It's my only hope.

So, I thought I'd start this thread so that others could find it easily in the future, and I think some of you will be interested enough to follow along..😷
iOnChristopher
Okay -  as predicted I was able to do everything except make the video file play through the link (html/pdf).

Attachment: the very petite pdf file without the video that documents this and is the happy result. (having trouble making it show.)pdf {Discussions=.pdf     

Now let me see if I can plug in a very cool / free MHT / wysiwyg html editor.
iOnChristopher
Okay, here's some good news.
So you CAN save your notes tab.
Just click on the toolbar icon (Click in the text area and it comes up)
The icon is next to last, next to the print, or use ^O (it says "open in browser" on hover.)
Then, of course, you can save the contents as usual.
It defaults to the name of the thought.
I upload a clip of all that action:

Click image for larger version - Name: Graphic_5_17_2018 04_07_51.jpg, Views: 95, Size: 122.21 KB
iOnChristopher
Now, does anybody know if and how I can add a program to the create file menu? If it's possible - I'll figure it out -- but I thought, well, hey -
iOnChristopher
😃 Okay I got it.
So you add a tab, then click on templates (bottom-middle of the 3 bars.)  And go ahead and open the templates directory.  You just stick in there any old file that you like (I think) -- in this case an MHT file would be the trick.  It's past bedtime so I'll just tell you .. it's WizHTML Editor .  Very, very, very fit for the job of Notes Tab upgrade.

See ya next time!
iOnChristopher
Follow up on the Templates solution, and a mystery problem:
Once you put an MHT file (or any other) in the Templates directory, on restarting TheBrain, that template will appear at the top of the list.  By clicking on the new item in the list (or any other,) TheBrain makes a copy of the template and places it in the UID folder for that Thought - hense management has it under control.  It is identical to the pre-configured list.

Now the mystery problem is quite strange.  For WizHTML Editor, It's not possible to save an MHT file once it's been in a brain folder, even if you move it out to the desktop.  Copy a file from the destop to add to a Brain folder as an attachment, and it stops working.  Move it back out again, and it still will not work.  Something must be changed, and I really want this to work.  I have to get a bit-weenie to compare these files because there's no evident difference.  Identical files, both on the desktop, one having been in theBrain and then moved back out - and the one from the desktop will save, and the other one hangs the program when you try to save..

Any ideas?  I'll just wait here..
zenrain
The notes file itself can be found by going to the attachments tab, clicking Open Folder. Then go into the Notes folder and there will be a file there called notes.html. This can also be assigned a keyboard shortcut.

The last post is hard to follow and sounds like you are running into an issue with WizHTML editor. As far as I know TheBrain makes no changes to files moved from different locations So you might try the other software's forum, or their documentation. Could be that it's also relying on an internal/invisible file which stays behind. 
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
iOnChristopher
Good tips.. Good guess on the mystery problem, but 1) MHT files are specifically a single file (see next.) 2) Using a file browser like Free Commander will show hidden files.  Nothing to worry about there.  And that's kinda weird, I admit.  So, This is up next. Still in the queue.

(Cont.)
So MHT files are "HTML complete" (1) saves in like a zip container - but as simple as that sounds - they've been horribly problematic for some reason for the last 3 years. They wind up being 3X to 10X or even larger, compared to "HTML complete."  And PDF is the surprising returning champion for file size and reliability. MHT files have become useless as a web save strategy for data hoarders as they very often will not open, and are inflated besides.  So what happened to a good, originally simple, idea?  Maybe I'll find out finally.

(1) HTML index file and paired folder with (these days) gobs of content.

WIZHTML Editor keeps the MHT file simple,  with no javascript - and no inflation or compatibility problem. It will also save, work with, and transform one to the other.  MHT is just a single file, fully editable, solution - or used to be. And still could be for a Notes Tool -- if the mystery is solved.
iOnChristopher
Still haven't gotten back to this but made progress on it.  Haven't solved the mystery of the file that couldn't.  Now I'm in the middle of a move.  I haven't moved since 2012 or so and I hate getting discombobulated so I spend a LOT of time planning.  In this case I am conceiving of a way to save money, get more space, and be better organized...!  Does that sound something like what we want from TheBrain?   Multiple wins, right?  Exponential results take incremental improvements.  And it's all theoretical without getting it done.  Cheaper floor space from Free Volume space (high ceilings) requires infrastructure (mezzanine) - and doing this on a budget requires integrating storage into the structure instead of pure post and beam construction that you fill with storage units (massive storage casements that can support the mezzanine.)  As usual, I am over my head and having to learn at a rapid rate.  Before I build the mezzanine I will concult an engineer.  But do you feel like you need to learn Far too fast for TheBrain in its current configuration to keep up? That seems to be key to using TheBrain as a mind-system: to put in ONLY your long term essential reference data and work product! - For the former this means using only pointer information as needed - mostly to the internet - but also to your saved / curated bulk data.  There are better / faster / cheaper solutions to bulk knowledge sweeps that are basically for one or two reviews ever.  Your Mind System configured TheBrain should attain its organic structure from what you decide to contribute to the world with serious effort (IOW - a profession.)  For that it must rise above the bulk of your learning that becomes garbage fast.  Painful as it is for a human brain to do this - it's the right challenge.    😱😳😵😴😶😷🙇😘
zenrain
Good post. I generally find TheBrain to be the most useful by storing breadcrumbs to things I might be interested in later, and fully fleshing out the thoughts and information (and it's contexts) for the stuff I'm actually using on a daily basis. Basically exactly what you stated. 

It's very easy to tell what I'm actually pursuing and tracking in my brain as those areas are very dense and fleshed out. And it does work back into my own thought structures as well. lol.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
iOnChristopher
WIZHTML Not Saving Mystery solved, but half-resolved, and untested -- I'll follow up ASAIC.  As of now:

WIZHTML editor creates a temp directory in its working directory for the MHT it's working on.  Whether the system gets confused, or WIZHTML doesn't close it, or its own internal tracking gets confused (probably the latter,) if you move the file you are going to be screwed when you do an edit and find it won't save.  I'll follow up on these tests ASAP.

Couple resolutions are pending: 1) Start the edit from TheBrain and leave it in place, export to a new location if needed.  2) Use a zip file format, that it will also edit from - but it may do the same thing, with the added problem of screwing up the default ZIP association to get it to work -- or not.  I prefer this solution to MHT if we can get it to work.  Trying to plan a work around got complicated, and I had to move on.  Always happy to let problems solve themselves -- if I'm the only one here. 🙏

Third option: use HTML after all - possibly a different editor - and this got complicated but right now by first principles of lean and best that would be Kompozer - which is just a little bit overkill since it can handle small sites and not just a page.  May be the best choice overall - but I need to verify both file drag and drop and paste directly into the edit window.  Also, these days, it's missing features like fonts and styles.

Forth option for single file, universal format is a PDF editor - of which there are many free / cheap.  No final choice though I think one stands out.  The limiting requirement is to be able to create a file from scratch -- though technically if you use a template, not.

With the priority on a really competent editor that swallows everything, gives pristine code, and exports well and is bulletproof too -- this could be a month's work to find recent options not on my radar - so pray thee spread the word and collect the data info-angels...🏃🏃🏃🍍🍓🍡

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software