seanick
Returning college student here... Wondering if anyone uses or has used the brain for student stuff - notes, etc.?

If so, I'd be interested i hearing how.

RLPopeIII
Yes,

I am. college student now, and I use TheBrain to organize classes and research.
Ren Pope
seanick
Care to give an examples of how you use it?
Spacenexus
I also use PB for capturing study material, both formal academic and ongoing. In fact on the old Psion 3 PDA back in the very early 1990's there was a little program called Titch, a drawing program which allowed the creation of hyperlinked text objects. During that school period one of my earliest 'thoughts' (manually created, ldrawing lines etc ) was 'Study'. I then mapped out the syllabus of the course as well as some other thoughtsl at the end of that era about 150 thoughts in total so it wasn't really that dynamic, more as a static outline. After a while i transferred that to an MSDOS mapping program and then really mapped out down to topic level, using notes. Although I didn't undertake this consistently I do recall printing out each mind map of an entire year's syllabus and combbinding it and mapping into it during the course of the year (no laptop then!).

Upon migrating to personal brain in 1998 I transferred my existing structure of a few hundred thoughts of my mind map ensemble into a single brain. The original Study thought now has about forty major disciplines as child thoughts. Jumped off that is a Library thought reflecting the same structure but including ebooks and catalogue of physical books on each topic.

[I additionally link 'Portfolio' which also links less systematically to study, focussing more on active projects related to that topic rather than the topic itself. I might have a study topic on Energy, subtopic Wind Energy with all sorts of reference data - jumped to that might be a Wind Energy project that i'm actively working on.]

Within the Study disciplines are then subtopic breakdowns containing notes, weblinks and an assortment of files. In particular I still unreservedly use Mind Manager for all sorts of self contained study notes, book summaries etc.

If you want to discreet separate brains for each topic/syllabus that could also work but especially in academic interests i think Leo Da Vinci summarised it well - 'since everything in the universe is connected then if you are interested in one thing by virtue all things must be interesting to you'. With that in mind i am happy to identify links between the geology of rocks to De Beer's annual report.

Hope that rambling context helps.

cheers

Jim

@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
agnor
Hi seanick,

I'm a returning student myself, and I've been using PB quite a bit for my school materials.

I have a thought for each class, and that's where I keep the syllabus.  I have two religion classes with quite a lot of reading, both entire books and separate articles, and I link those in PB two different ways: 

First way is to link it according to whatever book/article it is.  For example, one book is "Wilderness and the American Mind".  I have that linked like I would any other book.  For a while, we had PDFs of the book, and so I had those placed in, as well, under the main book topic. 

Then, I have a thought for each semester, and under that a thought for the class.  Under the class thought,  I have my readings broken down by week, and link each appropriate reading to that topic.  It gives me a good view of what I'm supposed to be doing for that week.  I have the pro version, and so I link all my reading notes to that thought, as well.

I usually take notes in class on a laptop, so I"ll put those notes into PB, as well.

Again, I have two religion classes, and history and religion are often linked.  I set up a time line in PB (http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2471340) in order to help me see a better picture of events.

I also keep track of any people we've talked about during the course, whether historic people or modern-day people.

That's about all I can come pu with off the top of my head at the moment.  I need to go finish a paper.  Oh, I use PB to get an idea of the structure of some of my larger papers, as well.

steve625
In 2005 I read this Blog which changed the way I study and keep notes.  Although I have not been a formal student for a number of years, every day I spend 2-3 hours studying things I find of interest.  Most my thoughts come from books, newspapers, blogs and ideas I garner from wherever and whenever I find them. 

My basic thoughts and links are similar to those described by others.

Books
   has child thoughts of
Books, Library, Non-Fiction
Books, Library, Fiction

Which I have linked every book I own. 
Each book has child thoughts of Chapter and main headings.

Here's where it gets really interesting.  And fun.  Using why "The system works for three reasons" from the blog above, I copy the thought / quote that interests me (#2) into the note section of PB, with the reference, and MOST importantly, any personal thoughts or feelings I had about the quote when I read it. (yes, I totally destroy my books with underlining, lines, notes in the margin etc) these quotes are usually less than the 500 word maximum recommended in #3. 

I then Link as additional parent thoughts every keyword I can find in the body of the quote.  As Jump thoughts I link any other exact quotes that come to mind (this doesn't happen to often) because most are caught in the keyword web.  Finally as child thoughts I sometimes expand key areas of the quote for more detail (again doesn't happen to often).

The beauty of PB vs DevonThink is the power to SEE the links. So if I'm looking at a quote, by mousing over other thoughts, ideas, notes, I can chase down any rabbit trail that catches my eye.  Very powerful to catching those ideas that bounce around at the fringe of your (wet) brain.   With all due respect to James Burke (fantastic event!) I need a little structure in my Brain

Click image for larger version - Name: Study.jpg, Views: 1143, Size: 657.39 KB
k4kaz
Steve

Wonderful. The moment I read in your reply "I totally destroy my books with underlining" etc I knew we were singing off the same hymn sheet! One of the reasons that I could never give my books to a charity shop! Loved idea of using the notes section and books by heading and main topics.

Absolutely spot on about using keywords as parents too that is a great idea love that.

The only question I have is how you deal with quotes. I have created s/s with a column for subject of a quote. in one file i have hundreds of quotes covers 30 50 topics. to get hold of one topic I simply filter on that subject.

I thought about this in the brain. My initial idea would be to set up a separate thought for every quote subject. but then  if I have say 100 thoughts on a given topic, how do i quicky scan through them to see them quickly, as you would on a quoted data base web site. Yes you could give multiple parents eg.  when you get a quote say from goerge burns "I would go out with women my age, but there are no women my age." so you put that under George Burns, age, women, humour. which is fine. But some larger topic s have hundreds of quotes.. e..g. in a spreadhseet..filter humour then age to get a subset.

In The brain I would have hundreds of individual thoughts..that is my biggest challenge.

thank  for replying

steve625
Quote: My initial idea would be to set up a separate thought for every quote subject.

I have tried a couple of different ways, but have settled on setting up a separate thought for every quote, bit, piece or chunk of information.  I also love quotes and probably have hundreds also, but each one is a separate thought.  For quotes I have added a simple tag called "quote" and then a link to the name of the person.  In your example my thought would be "I'd date women my age"  with a link to "Burns, George" then any parent link I thought would help.  I usually don't need to look further than a keyword or two to find what I'm looking for, but when I do, the search feature is strong enough to sort out the exact quote.  

zenrain
Quote: Here's where it gets really interesting.  And fun.  Using why "The system works for three reasons" from the blog above, I copy the thought / quote that interests me (#2) into the note section of PB, with the reference, and MOST importantly, any personal thoughts or feelings I had about the quote when I read it. (yes, I totally destroy my books with underlining, lines, notes in the margin etc) these quotes are usually less than the 500 word maximum recommended in #3. 

Ack! If only I had been paying more attention to this thread back when I originally read it, I could have applied it to my own brain so much earlier.

Fantastic information, I'm glad this was resurrected.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
FreeSpirit
Hi, I added a topic in this forum on how I use the brain while working my way trought a electrical engineering textbook. Link

I just realised that I am making a jump connection to another topic...

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software