Go to top of the forum TheBrain Message Board RSS Feed
TheBrain Technologies Forum
Register New Posts

Author Comment

mtre

Reply with quote  #1 
hello everyone,
this is my first entry to this forum, so let me say that personal brain is an excellent tool!
i'm not a linux expert, so hopefully this is an easy to solve problem. so far i used PB on kubuntu gutsy gibbon and it worked fine. now, after installing hardy heron, i get this error when trying to install PB:

>>java.awt.AWTError: Assistive Technology not found: org.GNOME.Accessibility.JavaBridge

java is installed, and i dont understand the problem...
i appreciate any help! THANKS

marco
jostber

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi,

Could you try to install or reinstall gnome-common?

Reply with quote  #3 
It is an interesting error in that the KDE flavour of Ubuntu is missing a Java component, and is looking for it in the GNOME installables. Depending upon how this becomes resolved, it might be something the Kbuntu builders should be aware of.

Also, you might seriously consider giving the PB 4.3 experimental Beta a try. The reason I suggest this is that the Java Bridge "contains Java components which connect the built-in accessibility support in Java Swing applications to the GNOME Accessibility framework" . The 4.3 release uses "GTK natively instead of Swing", and so may enable you to by-pass the java issue you are experiencing.

Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtre
hello everyone,
this is my first entry to this forum, so let me say that personal brain is an excellent tool!
i'm not a linux expert, so hopefully this is an easy to solve problem. so far i used PB on kubuntu gutsy gibbon and it worked fine. now, after installing hardy heron, i get this error when trying to install PB:

>>java.awt.AWTError: Assistive Technology not found: org.GNOME.Accessibility.JavaBridge

marco

Reply with quote  #4 
hello again,
thanks for your suggestions, i tried them but had no luck. i even reinstalled kubuntu all over again, with KDE 4 and no gnome anywhere, but the error remains the same. also installed everything that sounds like java, and tried PB 4.3 as well.

in desparation, i set up the system with gnome now, and got a different flavor of this lovely problem :

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Could not display the GUI. This application needs access to an X Server.
If you have access there is probably an X library missing.
You can also run this application in console mode without
access to an X server by passing the argument -c
An error occurred:
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Can't load library: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/i386/motif21/libmawt.so

-------------------------------------------------------------------

does this make more sense?
thanks again!
i plan on switching to mac osx sometime soon anyways, but i dont want to wait that long to use my brain again

jloveless

Reply with quote  #5 
I had the same problem. Try installing by switching to the directory where you stored the .sh file and:

sh *4_5_0_0.sh -c

adding the -c worked for me.

Reply with quote  #6 
It works great on Suse, version 11.0 is coming in 5 days:

http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_11.0

Reply with quote  #7 
Can  you try this if you use Kubuntu:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
sudo update-alternatives --config java

Reply with quote  #8 
@ jostber,
thanks very much for your help,
with "sudo update-alternatives --config java" i changed from "java-6-openjdk" to "java-6-sun", and everything worked perfectly i never would have figured this out myself...

only thing that doesn't work is selecting colors for a thought or thought type.

but i think i will give Suse a try when its out, with kubuntu i get funny behaviors of many programs - suddenly closing, not displaying correctly, excessively slowing down, and so on.
abinoam

Reply with quote  #9 
That post is related to this.
pistonpilot

Reply with quote  #10 
#update-java-alternative -s java-6-sun

jengar

Reply with quote  #11 
Ditto,  I'm using Suse 11.0 and was installing new update without problems until attempting install 4.5.2.0 when I ended with same results.  Now I have been updating my jre java to 6.0 but still have same problem if I reverse to java jre 5.0 installed.   The message I receive is:
install4j

X

An error occured
java.awt.AWTError: Assistive Technology not found: org.GNOME.Accessibility.JavaBridge
Error log:/tmp/install4jError52043.

However I used "thanks jostbar" the same suggestion but with Suse11.0

sudo update-alternatives --config java" i changed from "java-6-openjdk" to "java-6-sun", and  it worked  worked perfectly also for me.  ditto I never would have figured this out myself...   Thanks a million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtre
hello everyone,

marco

tcahill

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jostber
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sudo update-alternatives --config java

I'm Confirming that this step is also required under OpenSuse 11.1 (running Gnome).

Alternatively, as root, use
update-alternatives --config java

suse:/mnt/465/Downloads # update-alternatives --config java

There are 3 alternatives which provide `java'.

Selection Alternative
-----------------------------------------------
*+ 1 /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.6.0-openjdk/bin/java
2 /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.5.0-gcj/bin/java
3 /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun/bin/java

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number: 3
Using '/usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun/bin/java' to provide 'java'.

Perhaps update-alternatives could be called at the beginning of PB's installation script?

Quick Navigation:

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download PersonalBrain Mind Mapping Software