jostber
Anyone knows? Is there any difference in function for these?

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
zenrain
I believe the GUID is the way PB references the thought in the internal database, it's the thought reference in the xml file created when copy and paste thoughts. It also correpsonds to the name of the folder created when you add any thought attachments. You can paste a GUID into the instant search window and it will activate the thought.

I'm not fully sure how the Internal ID is used, except that when you export to a sitebrain, it uses the internal ID to specify the starting thought and attachment folder names.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
jostber
It is also possible to enter the Internal ID of a thought in the search field, and activate it by doing Shift-Ctrl-Enter.

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
zenrain
Cool, I had no idea. Thanks Jostber!
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Darkstar
Internal ID is how the original version of the program identified each thought uniquely.

After some time, GUID was added so that when a thought was moved between brains, Personal Brain would know that it is all the same thought, and therefore be able to determine if it should ask you if you want to overwrite the same thought in your brain (or make a copy of its information), or just inject the thought into the target brain and ignore that there are ten other thoughts called "Home page".

Technically, TheBrain could simply do away with the internal identifier and just use the GUID, but the Internal ID is certainly easier to use and search programatically, so I bet it is still heavily used internally.
-Darkstar

Add a Website Forum to your website.