One major reason for me to purchase TheBrain is the very SEARCH capability in V8:
* the instant search box is quick,
* the full search box (click on "Search" on the right of the instant search box) has lots of details such as the context (parent/child thought), highlighted keyword hits in the content, modification date, hit score
* search into attachment, such as PDF and codes in plain txt (*.py, *.m, *.cc, etc)
* the Report box
But the search into PDF in V8 sometimes just does not work, no matter how I change the setting (file size, searching depth, etc) and keep re-building the search index. And I cannot ask TB to open my *.py file with specified editor. So I moved on to V9. Initially, v9 does find the PDF that cannot be find in V8 in the imported Brain and solve the other problem. I am very happy!
But then I really miss the V8 searching capability. In comparison:
* There is only one small (instant) search box with minimum info on the hits, which also instantly disappear after one click of the hit entry.
* There is no full, constant open box stay here to browse through the hits (I don't know which one is right, and that is why one needs the search capability, right?)
* No context info (unless identical name), no sorting by date or relevance, indication of internal or external attachment or web link...
* the Search into Attachment in V9 is a hit-or-miss again. Now I cannot find a simple text string in my python code (*.py) and PDF file. Now V9 does not even have "rebuild search index" function. What to do now?
All the rich search info in V8 is gone!
And in Report, I try to ask V9 to list all the *.py file in attachment, I cannot make it happen yet. And again some info such as modified date are gone!
I really hope that the V9 with native code can surpass V8. And the new Note editor is great.
But I miss a lot of capability/info in the searching capability. Any one can share what I missed?