As Mark pointed out, the incomplete web client is the most severe limitation right now.
Other limitations and/or missing features in my Win7 installation are detailed below. (I don't know if Mac installations exhibit different behavior, and I don't know if some of the items I've listed are bugs that may, at some point, be fixed.)
Whether you will consider these missing features to be "significant" or not depends on how you use TheBrain. For me, the absence of these features, along with significant speed and performance issues in TB9, means that I'm still keeping my primary data in TB8.
Missing and/or Limited Features
- Font selection is set at the theme level -- with no option to change fonts within notes
- Extremely limited control over line-spacing
- No font size indicator in notes
- No alignment option
- No tables
- No easy access to code view
- Right-click menu in notes no longer has an insert link option
- Checkboxes now strike through the adjacent text when checked, and there is no option to remove the strike-through
- Inserting special characters is available, but does not (yet) work
- No easy click option to open the notes (only) in a compact floating window
- There is no "save" button now for the notes, and the "Edit > Undo" function (Ctrl+Z) often removes more than the most recent edit.
- No static pane for search display with search terms highlighted
- No static pane for editing thought types and tags
- All thought icons assigned by thought type disappear when accessing thought properties (Only manually assigned icons show up in the thought properties box.)
- All thought colors and icons are lost in the right-click menus for "Set Type" or "Set Tag"
- Copying the icon from an existing thought appears to be gone
- No way to capture an image of the notes in V9
Click Intensive Changes
- Back/forward navigation buttons frequently become non-functional when making changes in the note editor. This means an extra click somewhere outside the note editor is required before you can resume navigation.
- Note access is completely lost when you access attachments
- Drag/drop to move attachments is gone. Cut and paste is available, but if you want to drag/drop, the attachment will be copied from one thought to another, and then you'll have to go back and delete the attachment you originally wanted to move.
- Virtual thoughts
- Dock and auto-hide
- Advanced tools layout
- User Manual