joshsullivan
Hello,

Now that TheBrain 11 is under active development, I'm wondering if the team could take a look at increasing the storage space you get with the Services subscription. 30GB today is not a lot of space, especially if it is the only practical syncing solution for TheBrain. IMO, it is completely ridiculous to suggest zipping more than 30GB of data every time we want to update our Brains on a second device. Some people suggest using external files, which work if you are on the same OS on both devices, but I am on a Windows computer at work and a Mac at home, trying to use external linking for documents is a nightmare (I have to add links for both OS's to a thought because I want search to work), but I do it because I have more than 30GB of data.

I think for the price we are paying for the service and software, a 1 TB allotment isn't that much to ask. If I'm mistaken, then maybe have an optional extra charge per year to off set storage costs with Azure in order to offer 1 TB of space.

The more use cases TheBrain demonstrates in the recorded webinars shows that it's expected that users use internal files for file management. Today another was announced for education. I know that over a college career, 30GBs of PDFs, Word, PowerPoint, etc. documents are routinely consumed, being in IT at a University our LMS is filled with over 700TB of data.

I love TheBrain and I'll be a customer for a long time, I only want to use the product more and immerse myself in it.

If 1 TB is out of the question, then maybe it's time to look into finding a solution that allows users the ability use a custom sync store or at least a network drive location/USB device that can be used as the store and simply mounted on another device to allow for internal files. I'm also happy to host the storage myself, I just want the ability to store my documents in TheBrain and not have to worry about adding links for both platforms to a thought and worry about missing one.

Thank you for considering this request,
Josh Sullivan
TheBrain 11 Alpha Channel
Windows 10 2004 Enterprise
metta
+1 ~ Agree with you completely, Josh, for all the points mentioned above -- especially since the 30GB limit applies to the user's entire account, not to each individual brain.

A 1TB allocation would be a big help for those of us who are (or intend to be) long term users along with those who have created megabrains, who are using TheBrain for training and education and/or who would like to use TB (as recommended) for file management.

FWIW, 1TB storage was documented as a feature request prior to the release of TB9 (#WC-195) -- and I do hope there will be a chance of implementing this increased storage capacity when TB11 is released.
kbunders
+1 !!
Not using TheBrain anymore. Switched to Roam Research.
ruudhein
+1

In fact, I would suggest TheBrain goes the way Mylio (a photo asset manager) did: move away from own syncing services to utilizing third party syncing services. These 3rd parties (like Amazon Drive, Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox) are on top of the syncing game and many of us already have our files stored at at least one of these.

Mylio still requires a monthly/yearly payment. TheBrain could to the same thing.

I'd feel much more secure with my brain in Dropbox, where I can even roll back changes
Using: Evernote | Filterize | Roam Research | Feedly | Save Page WE | TheBrain v11.0.91.0

(Windows 10)
mcaton
Thank you for the suggestion and support for this request. Documented and under review 🙂

Matt
joshsullivan
Thanks, Matt!
HarmenB
this would make life much easier :

keep everything within thebrain (no more cumbersome url links to files (which of course sometimes become dead...))

BUT: then the searching within thebrain should be also be improved! Webbrain lacks good searching i think.....

(should be able to choose to search in thought names or search deeper in attachment (names and within content))
Xavier
HarmenB wrote:
this would make life much easier :

BUT: then the searching within thebrain should be also be improved! Webbrain lacks good searching i think.....

(should be able to choose to search in thought names or search deeper in attachment (names and within content))
😥🙏
+1
ratthing
I think it would be a GREAT idea to simply allow us to use our own 3rd party sync.  I understand this would greatly affect the revenue model for The Brain.  But perhaps some sort of happy medium could be established. 
joshsullivan
I’ve just realized that with Team Brain you give the option to host their own TheBrain server.

At the very least, meaning third party sync, or expanded storage space for additional cost are not happening, I believe TheBrain server should be an option for the services subscribers so that they can host their own data and not be restricted by a space issue. I know giving them TheBrain server, would defeat the purpose of subscribing to the the services, but I also understand you need to make money as a business, so I wouldn't mind the same price for TheBrain server, or have another subscription to pay for TheBrain server.

For those of us comfortable with hosting and managing our own servers, this would be amazing, for others, I'd definitely be willing to help them get set up.
metta
...for others, I'd definitely be willing to help them get set up.
Very generous offer, Josh! ðŸ™‚

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software