korm
This causes constant flickering light-dark-light-dark in the content panel.  Not in the bug sense, but in the annoyance sense.  For one, I don't think it's needed.  When we hover over thoughts the content panel changes anyway.  If someone didn't notice that do we really need to make the content panel play like a strobe light to announce "I'm different!"

Some may need this.  But, can we get a UI option to turn this "feature" off?
Harlan
Interesting feedback. Personally I find myself turning off update content on hover because I sometimes accidentally edit the content of the wrong thought, not noticing that the cursor is over something. Anyone else care to comment?
Regards,
-Harlan
danlandrum
When I'm studying a specific subject I tend to leave it open because I'm using the thoughts on the plex as more of an outline and the notes field as the specific content I'm seeking. 

The lag and flash problem I'm having is causing me to adjust my behavior, and I see how I could get used to mostly keeping it closed. It helps that a single click displays my list of attachments, and I'm seeing how that may be the most efficient way to navigate unless I have a note. A couple of times I've thought it would be nice to hover over or click the notes attachment icon and see a plain text preview of that, too, limited in length. That would be enough of a reminder to trigger the need to open the notes pane, or move on. 
OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
korm
Harlan wrote:
Interesting feedback. Personally I find myself turning off update content on hover because I sometimes accidentally edit the content of the wrong thought, not noticing that the cursor is over something. Anyone else care to comment?

OT, and just curious, but how do you edit the "content of the wrong thought".   Over here, if a thought is selected, and I hover over a different thought with the pointer, I cannot edit that second thought until I select that thought and click into the content pane.  When I hover a thought with the cursor and start typing, those characters are sent to the search panel.
zenrain
When you have the hover option active and you use a keyboard shortcut (for example, ⌘+n for notes), it will activate the notes for the thought you are hovering over, not the active thought notes.

I think this has been a long standing request to have some indicator from within the tools section that they aren't the active thought for this exact scenario (in TheBrain 8 I have done this multiple times). I've turned off Update Content on Hover earlier in the beta because it made TheBrain 9 much more stable. I've just turned it on and do like the visual prompt that the tab section is not for the active thought. I'll leave it on for a bit and see how it goes.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 10.0.54
zenrain
Update: After a bit of testing I agree with Korm. The problem is that whenever you activate a thought, the tab bar briefly changes from dark to light which after a few times drove me absolutely crazy. It gives it a strobe effect which isn't good on the eyes.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 10.0.54
mcaton
Interesting initial feedback on this feature.  I was anticipating that people would request a more obvious/contrasting color change like grey/blue instead of grey/dark grey.

Thanks for the feedback!  I'll add the request to make this new feature an option.

Matt
korm
zenrain wrote:
When you have the hover option active and you use a keyboard shortcut (for example, ⌘+n for notes), it will activate the notes for the thought you are hovering over, not the active thought notes.

Sounds like a bug, not a feature [rolleyes]

Anyway, for some reason I eschew shortcuts in v9 -- so thanks for the clarification.
zenrain
Update 2: In testing with a window where the Tools/Notes window isn't large, it's not as distracting. I'm going to stick with it for a few days and report back.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 10.0.54
zenrain
Bug Report - When you mouse-over the active thought, the color changes similar to when you hover over a non-active thought.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 10.0.54
pthompson
zenrain wrote:
Bug Report - When you mouse-over the active thought, the color changes similar to when you hover over a non-active thought.

Yep, already reported. Thanks.
holdom
Harlan wrote:

Yes, I have turned off this option, too, because I did the same mistakes like you! [smile]

Maybe this option shouldn't be ticked by deault.

Best,
Dominik

@ work: HP Notebook, Win7 Prof.
@ home: MacBook Air 13", macOS Sierra

Using TheBrain since 1999 (v.1.78).

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software