cityvision
Version 4 takes a long time to load. Over 60 seconds after Windows XP desktop appears.  This is much longer than version 3.0

Is this due to Vn 4 being a beta and not optomised, or should I look for problems on my machine ?
Harlan
When your computer boots there are many other things still happening in the background even after the desktop appears, so everything takes longer to start at that time. PB4 does take longer to start than PB3 however - there is just more to load. PB 4.1 is no longer in beta FYI.
Regards,
-Harlan
LordBalto
Everything takes longer in PB4. The only reason I upgraded was because PB3 wouldn't open links using the Flock browser (a version of Firefox). I find that not only does it take much longer to open, it also takes longer to change between brains--something I do a lot. Much of this is the reindexing of thoughts. There must be some way to shut this off unless I really want it. It's ridiculous. I open my Web Brain, it indexes; I open my Tool Brain, it indexes; I go back to my Web Brain, it indexes again! What is going on here? This is silly. Is this really necessary? Other speed issues: I turned off the Active Thought Indicator because it hardly turns; And why in the world do I need to have website icons in my Brain? What's the point other than slowing things down even more while it goes looking for websites?

Is this a direct result of moving to Java or has the program just turned into massive bloatware?
Steve Franklin
zenrain
It sounds like there may be an issue with your index, it shouldn't re-index every time you open a brain. You may check what your settings are for refreshing the web index (Options > Preferences > Search).

There is a thread on the active thought indicator, they stopped the rotation when the plex is not active (the mouse isn't moving on it) to save cpu cycles. Several of us posted there and asked for an option to move when PB is active.

Other than that, it is slower than 3x. They are still optimizing things, at least in the 4.2x version (which had slowed down a bit more from 4.1), but if the cost of the speed loss outweighs the added features in 4x for you, perhaps it would make more sense for you to stay on 3.

I disagree with your bloatware comment. The added features in 4.x actually started me using PB again. In my case, PB 3 was nice, but were missing some key factors to make it  an everyday tool. But that's just my opinion, and we all know what they say about opinions...
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
LordBalto
What's really annoying is the way it indexes the "Instant Search" every time I open a Brain or change Brains. I'd much rather have it do this when I do a search, which is rarely. As for going back to PB3, first of all I said I got PB4 because it works with Flock (Firefox has gotten pathetically slow since the last "upgrade"), and second I just paid $100 for it.
Steve Franklin
Darkstar

You could start a new brain session for your tool window. Skip the whole multiple load up wait. Only wait once per brain that way.

-Darkstar
Harlan
Steve,

Version 4.2 is still in beta, however it does address several of the things you mentioned: 1. Switches between Brain files faster. 2. The creation of the instant search index is much faster (less than 2 seconds on my 12,000 thought brain).

Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
One other comment - even in version 4.1, the instant search indexing is done in background - you can start using your Brain as soon as it opens.
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software