Harlan
This release marks the end of the early beta phase. We are confident enough in this beta to recommend upgrading if you are willing to put up with minor bugs and frequent upgrades. Backing up your data is still highly recommended, but if you have been running parallel installs of 4.1 and 4.2, this is no longer necessary (unless you want to be able to share your data with a 4.1 user who doesn't want to upgrade of course).

Also, this version includes support for date ranges for reports (oft requested here...) as well as better wildcard searches and many fixes.

Version 4.2.0.3

January 12, 2008

• No longer in the early beta phase
    • Warning message does not display at startup
    • While some minor bugs remain to be fixed and this release is not yet feature complete, it is now officially supported and is more reliable than version 4.1
  • Reports Date Filtering
    • Reports allow the user to set both a starting date and an ending date to filter by
  • Search
    • Supports single and multiple character wildcard searches within single terms (not within phrase queries).
      • To perform a single character wildcard search use the "?" symbol. To perform a multiple character wildcard search use the "*" symbol
      • The single character wildcard search looks for terms that match that with the single character replaced. For example, to search for "text" or "test" you can use the search: te?t
      • Multiple character wildcard searches looks for 0 or more characters. For example, to search for Terrence, ten, or Terresa, you can use the search: te*
      • You can also use the wildcard searches in the middle of a term: te*a
      • Note: You cannot use a * or ? wildcard as the first character of a search.
  • Minor UI Changes and Fixes
    • Virtual Thoughts show their path in the properties tab
    • The last four digits of Serial Number appear in the about dialog box
    • Fixed: Instant search can show radio buttons “underneath” the results that overwrite the bottom result on mouseover
    • Fixed: Hourglass does not appear when the refresh button is clicked for a report
    • Fixed: The source thought appears on the create thought dialog as an option to link to
    • The next and previous buttons on the reports pages have been moved below the list
  • Feature Fixes
    • Fixed: Statistics does not work
    • Fixed: Copying of Thoughts with no notes does not work
    • Fixed: for thoughts with multiple attachments, all attachments do not show in the reports
  • System and Misc Fixes
    • When database connection is reconnected, the prepared statement cache is cleared, avoiding possible problems with updates
    • Fixed: When converting a brain, fails to create the system information properly sometimes, resulting in an empty Brain
    • Changed the method of updating notes to fix possible exceptions when saving
    • Opening of attachments does not pause the main application thread under Windows, which could cause PersonalBrain to pause while the application loads
    • Fixed: notes indexes are not cleared of earlier versions under some circumstances
    • Fixed: indexing filter is unable to write to files with foreign characters
    • Fixed: Saving of foreign characters to the database does not work (notes and thought names)
    • Fixed: empty forgotten thoughts list causes exception
    • Fixed: After copying a large number of thoughts (100+), animation performance drops badly.
  • Mac OS Fixes
    • Pasting of images from the clipboard now works properly when running under Java 1.4. Because of a bug in Leopard, pasting of images will not work unless you set the default Java version to 1.4 under Java Preferences for applications (not for applets).
Regards,
-Harlan
zenrain
One question. I've been running in Parallel, but my 4.1 has gotten a bit behind. Wouldit be better to re-upgrade my 4.1 brainzip, or go forward with my 4.2 data. I haven't run into any issues so far in prior versions of 4.2 (that I'm aware of).

Thanks!
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
westbroek
On opening my main brain, and recognizing that it needs to be converted, I keep getting a "PB4 could not create or connect to the database, Please make sure you do not already have this Brain open and try again."

I then opened the brainzip of that brain instead. Same problem: after extraction it cannot connect to the database.

A minor test brain converted without problems.

I've uninstalled the new version, went back to 4.1.2.8, put the backup of my brain back in place and am up and running again.

Harlan
zenrain wrote:
One question. I've been running in Parallel, but my 4.1 has gotten a bit behind. Wouldit be better to re-upgrade my 4.1 brainzip, or go forward with my 4.2 data. I haven't run into any issues so far in prior versions of 4.2 (that I'm aware of).

Thanks!

There is no need to reconvert your 4.1 brain unless you had run into problems with 4.2 during the conversion process.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
westbroek wrote:
On opening my main brain, and recognizing that it needs to be converted, I keep getting a "PB4 could not create or connect to the database, Please make sure you do not already have this Brain open and try again." I then opened the brainzip of that brain instead. Same problem: after extraction it cannot connect to the database. A minor test brain converted without problems. I've uninstalled the new version, went back to 4.1.2.8, put the backup of my brain back in place and am up and running again.

Can you send us a brainzip of the problematic brain without attachments? If not, can you post a output.log file of the conversion process after you get the message?
Regards,
-Harlan
westbroek
Had to reinstall to get the output log but here it is. Same thing happened again.
punkmonksf
4.2.0.4 Still Not working on Mac OS. How can anyone say this is the end of the early beta? It consistently fails to import any database properly on the Mac.

Got an error message during conversion. Image attached.

Here are the before and after conversion stats:
Thoughts 13241/543
Links 14636.6/539
Links per thought: 1.11/.99
Notes: 507/1
Int. Files: 401/1
Exty. File: 190/0
URL: 19/0
Th. Types: 13/2
Link Types: 5/0
Activations: 6963/6965

Karekin

Click image for larger version - Name: error.jpg, Views: 386, Size: 24.36 KB
westbroek
To come back to my problem. I'm stuck usign 4.1.2.8. If I try 4.1.3.2 it tells me I can only open my brain with a 4.2 version....

4.2 of course still doesn't convert my brain as it can't connect to the database. Today I made a new brain and pasted my 2000+ thoughts in it. *That* brain does convert. However, I have 2218 thoughts in my old brain and only 2126 in the new (pasted) brain. No way for me to know what gets left behind ... so I have to keep on using the 4.1.2.8...

punkmonksf
Hmmm... I don't know what to do anymore to get a response to my inquiries.

Very sad and very disappointed.
karekin
Darkstar
I'd suggest try sending mcaton a private message. He seems to be a customer service rep that posts here. Or you could just send an email or private message to Harlan.

I've found the people at TheBrain to be fairly responsive to most of my troubles with their product in the past.
-Darkstar
jostber
Have you tried to install 4.2.0.7?
TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software