Darkstar
Under Windows XP (All SP and patched upt to date as of last Microsoft Patch Tuesday), Personal Brain Pro with Indexing Library version 4.2.0.7 dies after being used for several hours (4 to 5) in expanded mode while in Auto-Hide (Top).

How to repeat --- just start up PB 4, put it in expanded mode, and let it display some 50 to 100 or so thoughts. Occasionally swap back and forth between a few thoughts whenever bored (or doing work, in my case). After a while, PB will close in on crash point. Signs of the immenent crash are crazy graphic behavior on your screen--- from small things like PB's "hidden" indicator (Bubble/Tab showing which "side" PB is hidden) not painting/refreshing correctly, to total black out of display device (which will repaint any items on the task bar you move the mouse over). After these events, PB will simply CRASH out--- but does so gracefully, in that the open brain will not be corrupted, nor will it be locked.

I'd really like it if this could be fixed. I like to use PB in auto-hide mode, so it's there when I need it, and it's out of my way way when I don't. There are workarounds--- if I don't use auto-hide, then I don't get this crash unless I run the same brain in expanded mode for several DAYS (seems to be related with having to recalculate the display when the display is "uncovered"). If I do not use Expanded, and just go with the standard display, I won't see this problem for somewhere between 8 to 20 hours of continuous use--- although it will do the same thing. However, change the display mode to not use Auto-hide, and it takes a VERY long time to make it crash.

Version 4 PB has ALWAYS had this problem. I was able to get version 4.1.3.1 to crash within 10 minutes by using auto-hide (top), expanded, and fixing (clicking its little o) the first thought.

Thanks for the great program! I look forward to being able to use PB 4 (with indexing libraries!) for more then 4 hours straight at my work site. Being able to use it for at least 8 hours should be the target, though as a software developer, I would really prefer something on the order of an uptime/no-crash in the neighborhood of 21 to 23 hours.
-Darkstar
Harlan
Sounds like a java issue... When the crash happens, do you find an error log file named hserr...? If so, please post it. Please also try installing java 6 update 4, which was just recently released. Thanks.
Regards,
-Harlan
Darkstar
Did you mean Java 6 Update 3? Because I've got that installed and the Java web site only has J6 U3 listed. U4 isn't listed on the web site, and my Java control panel says I have the latest version installed when I click the "Check for Updates" button.

I've had this problem from the start of PB 4, way back using J6 U1. I've hoped that it would eventually stop with the updates to Java, but no luck so far.

I wonder what it is that PB does when it "reveals" the expanded plex from when it was "hidden" off-screen that causes this problem under Java? Is this just Java being inefficent in its garbage collection after a complex calculation (the figuring out of where everything is, so it can be rendered/painted properly), or something else? Whatever it is, it is extremely aggravating having my PB crash at least 1 per day (sometimes more, if I am working enough OT).

Next time my PB crashes, I'll see if it has a hserr anywhere on the system. My last search turned up nothing, but I had already started PB up, so maybe any such file would have been cleaned out? I don't know, just a wild guess on my part.
-Darkstar
Darkstar
Ah!

I've found those log files. They were named hs_err_pidxxxx.
-Darkstar

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software