NickHowe
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but changing the 'text shadows' option in preferences doesn't seem to make any difference.  In the graphic below, one shot is with text shadows enabled; the other disabled.  Any guesses which is which?
Click image for larger version - Name: a.jpg, Views: 90, Size: 32.00 KB
zenrain
That's weird. Mine is working, could it be that your shadow is dark so it's blending with the background?
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Harlan
You have to make sure your shadow color is different than the background color or you will not see the shadows.
Regards,
-Harlan
NickHowe
Thanks Harlan,

I played around and the differences are very subtle.  I was using a grey shadow, so it should have shown up against a dark background.  I switched to a white background and it is barely discernible.

See the graphic below.  The left text is no shadows; the middle text is with shadows; the right text is more the look I was hoping for. 

Any chance we could add better drop shadow rendering to the 'things to do eventually' list?

Click image for larger version - Name: a.jpg, Views: 40, Size: 50.49 KB
Harlan
Hi Nick,

You need to set a darker color for your text shadows if you want them to be more visible. Unfortunately, the type of shadows you show in your example (blurred, semi-transparent text) are quite slow to render and are therefore not suitable for high speed animation with lots of text.

Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software