Harlan
This release introduces the ability to filter the plex based on the content of reports. Also included are some fixes as usual plus a modest performance boost.

Version 5.5.0.6-b

September 5, 2009

·         Report Filtering (New Pro only feature)

o    The displayed Thoughts can be filtered arbitrarily using a report

o    Create a report, then click the filter button on the report toolbar to change the filter status

§  There are three filter possibilities

·         Disabled – Nothing is filtered

·         Normal – Thoughts not in the report are hidden

·         Inverse – Thoughts in the report are hidden

o    The old method of filtering by date only has been removed (this function can be duplicated by simply reporting on thoughts activated after a given date)

o    This function enables filtering by tag, type, date, attachment, or anything else you can report on

o    Pins and calendar items are not filtered and when displayed in the plex are shown crossed out enabling normal use of the calendar and pins without the need to toggle the filter on and off

·         Improved overall performance

·         Backslashes in file names are no longer allowed for cross-platform compatibility

·         Fixes

o    Fixed: Can’t exit PB when in auto-hide and no Brain is open and auto-open last Brain is enabled

o    Cleaned up exceptions on closing Brains

o    Fixed: Tags and types menus are sometimes sized incorrectly leading to extra space or scrollbars

o    Fixed: When the active Thought is deleted or forgotten, the thought that is activated in the last active

o    Fixed: The past thought list is not loaded 100% accurately on startup

o    Context clicking a Thought in a report does not activate it

Regards,
-Harlan
tcahill
Harlan wrote:
This release introduces the ability to filter the plex based on the content of reports. Also included are some fixes as usual plus a modest performance boost.

Thank you very much, Harlan and team! This is a feature I've been dreaming of since the dinosaurs roamed. (almost).

Question: ought I be able to use a multiple selection criteria in reports? That doesn't seem to be working for me just now using Linux.

Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
dyslucksia
Quote:
Backslashes in file names are no longer allowed for cross-platform compatibility

This isn't very clear to me. Which file names are we talking about and where would we encounter this problem? I assume you're referring to Windows users here, where Windows uses backslashes where *nix (and Mac?) uses forward slashes to represent directories.

PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
dyslucksia
Quote:
(Fixes)
Context clicking a Thought in a report does not activate it

Here's a bit of explanation. Up till now, both left- and right-clicking a Thought in Reports made that Thought the active Thought, the only difference being that Right-clicking a Thought opened its context menu. Activation disturbs the existing plex by changing the active Thought. Now it means you can, for an example, pin up another Thought in your Reports list (maybe to be linked to the currently active Thought), without needlessly making it active, then having to backtrack to the original Active Thought. Probably only a small coding change, but one that should result in a big increase in usability and user-friendliness. Very glad to see this suggestion adopted.

The only problem that remains is that Ctrl-Left clicking a Thought adds it to Selection but activates it too, whereas Ctrl-Right clicking doesn't activate it, but doesn't add it to Selection either. So there's still no way of adding a Thought from Reports to Selection unless you activate it first, which adds that extra step which the bugfix removed.

Maybe one day we might be able to Add the right-clicked Thought to Selection, from the Thought context menu, without having to activate it first.

PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
Mandox
Filter by report result - finally! Now I'll open the bottle of champagne I reserved for this moment.
THANK YOU development team. Now doing personalized presentations will be so much easier.

One last thing that would be cool: filter (or search) events. e.g. filter all events from date a to date b, filter by event title, include event description in search.
Harlan
About backslashes: On Mac OS, the OS allows filenames to include backslashes as part of the file name. Such files obviously cannot be opened on a Windows machine and cause problems when moved. Starting with this version, PB will not allow attachments to contain backslashes regardless of the OS.

Regards,
-Harlan
PaulYoung
As an avid Beta release tester  I have noticed that at times I am unable to
download the new beta ... Find attached the screen shot that comes up

regards
Paul

Click image for larger version - Name: screen-capture.png, Views: 355, Size: 311.97 KB
igoldsmid1
Nice idea about the filtering. Doesn't work on my pc (vista 64 Java 6 latest official update) - Thoughts fly out of sight never to return unless I go back to normal view
Ian Goldsmid
zenrain
Not sure when this occurred, but it appears the synonyms.txt file is no longer overwritten when you install a new version of PB.

Thanks! This saves me from having to re-update it after installation.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Darkstar

Wow! These are some great features! Thanks!

-Darkstar

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software