jostber
Creating a child in Outline view makes it orphaned sometimes. It does not get linked to the parent that was intended. This does not happen in the other views like Normal.
TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
SamCox
Yep, and since I work almost exclusively in outline view, this behavior is getting to be annoying.

I wonder if this is related to the problem I've having with pinned thoughts — the problem being that when I drag a link from an existing thought to a pinned thought, the pinned thought sometimes won't accept (i.e., won't lock to) the link, and sometimes the link is accepted but the active thought ends up pinned, too?

-- Sam

Moe
Jobster, Can you check and see if the Thought is actually there but perhaps not showing up in the Plex.  If it is perhaps being created and becoming an orphan than you might want to check to see if its showing up in orphaned Thoughts report.

Best regards,
Moe

SamCox
Hi Moe,

I'll take the liberty of responding to your request.

In outline view, I can reliably create apparently orphaned thoughts as follows:
  1. Switch to outline view.
  2. Make active any thought with children.
  3. From the parent gate of a child thought -- not the active thought -- drag a link to create a new parent. Enter a funny name (e.g., "magoo") for the new parent so it will be easy to find.
  4. Make active the child thought. The new parent "magoo" should be connected but is not.
  5. Instant search for and make active the "magoo" thought which exists but appears to be orphaned. There are no apparent links and all gate symbols are hollow.
  6. Report orphan thoughts. You will see that "magoo" does NOT appear in the orphan thought list.
Odd.
-- Sam

jostber
Yes, the child thought appears in the plex after creation, but it is not linked to any other thought. It does not show up as an orphaned thought in Reports either, as Sam said.
TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
mcaton
Sam,

Thank you for the step by step.  No luck in reproducing this yet today, but we'll keep testing.

Can you please do us one more favor?  Open PB and immediately reproduce this error.  After you have created the new thought that does not appear linked in PB, please send us or post a copy of your Output.log file.  Please let me know what OS you are running and I can tell you where to locate the output.log.

Thank you,
Matt
SamCox
Hello Matt,

Attached is output.log and snap shot of the About screen. I did these things to create the orphaned thought:
  1. Activate thought with children.
  2. Drag link from parent gate of child to plex and type name of new thought in Create Child window. Press Enter.
    • Note: The child thought also has children. When I tried this with a childless thought, the new parent was created AND attached.
  3. Activate child to confirm no parent.
  4. Instant search newly created thought to verify unlinked.
  5. Close PersonalBrain.
I'm running Windows XP SP2.
-- Sam

Click image for larger version - Name: 2009-03-05_090520.jpg, Views: 68, Size: 42.81 KB
JJS
SamCox, please note that Magoo in your example will not appear in the Orphans report because it isn't considered an orphan. It disconnected that Child thought with it; orphans in Brain taxonomy are only the true solos.

Magoo does show up on the Parentless Thoughts report, at least as I've reproduced the error. The Child thought, possibly a long-time thought, now does not show on either report, and there's no good way to find it. Brain needs a report not just for parentless and orphan thoughts, but for all thoughts that are for any reason disconnected from the main Plex.

Great bug catch, Jostber and Sam.

Moe
Guys, Thank You for taking the time to test and provide the clear explanations needed to recreate this issue.  I have notified our engineers about this. 

Best regards,
Moe

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software