Underdog
With build 6029 I experience a gross loss in interface response speed overall. For example: it takes 12-15 seconds for a thought to be highlighted on mouseover after switching from a thought having several attachments.

More specifically, when the active thought contains 17 jpg attachments, each at 500 kB (roughly 8 MB total) here is what I experience on my 1.6 GHz / 2 GB RAM Notebook which worked well with PB 6028:
  1. With the PB window set to "float" and I Alt-Tab from this forum window back to PB it takes 12-20 seconds for the PB window to appear and another 22-30 seconds before a thought is highlighted on mouseover.
  2. And at this point I wanted to type in another "slowness" observation, but the response from PB6 has become so slow that it's an impractical nuisance. I have noticed, however, that the thoughts containing image (jpg, png, gif) attachments take longer to load and longer to get away from (due, I expect, from the larger icon sizes).
Attached you will find a resources comparison between 6029 and 6028. ("Speicher" = RAM and "E/A" = I/O).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some related asides which I would be happy to include elsewhere:
I personally am NOT a fan of the BIG ATTACHMENT ICONS. They consume more space in the window and require more computing resources. I also don't like the missing header in the attachment box - I used to be able to sort by one click - now it takes two! The idea of putting the attachment path below the file name is a good one, giving the path more space, but for long file/path names I still have to resize the attachment box.
Click image for larger version - Name: PB6029_vs_6028.jpg, Views: 198, Size: 122.80 KB

- Michael
TheBrain 10.0.17.0 beta / 9.1.x / 8.0.2.1 / (PB) 6 || Win7

Moe
Underdog, Thank You for bringing this to our attention. I was able to replicate the problem and have made a note of it with our engineers. Regarding your input on the big attachment icons, I will pass your feedback to our development team.

Thanks,
Moe
Underdog
This has been only partially been fixed in 6.0.3.5. When attempting to access thoughts having internal image (jpg) attachments in a given brain for the first time, there is no response from PB (not even on mouseovers) until (I'm guessing) the image icons have been cached. The response lag time depends at least on the number images, and even just two jpg images of  280 kB each results in an thought accessibility delay. When accessing the previously mentioned 17 images for the first time I can go pour myself a cup of coffee by the time PB is ready for action again (23 seconds). Again, this is "only" an initial access delay. Subsequent thought activation is relatively quick, but overall 6.0.3.5 is still somewhat sluggish in response compared to 6.0.2.8 (presumably due to the change in the way images in thought attachments are handled and displayed).

- Michael

Underdog
This behavior is consistent.
To test this I have done a few things. Recently I opened an existing brain which had never been accessed by 6.0.3.5. Accessing any thought that had images resulted in a response delay. Often times, the plex would freeze in mid-action of switching from one thought to the other (screenshot "Freeze Frame" while switching to a thought having just three 700-kB internal jpg attachments it took 8 seconds for PB to respond again). The more images there are, the longer the delay to the point of uselessness. Alt-Tabbing to another open program works, but if I have the OS clock open and try to Alt-Tab back to PB while it is handling the images, the  clock's second hand freezes as well. (My only recourse is to kill PB.)

Running a report for thoughts having jpg attachments runs quickly, but even if I scroll the results list, PB freezes while the thumbnails in the results list are being loaded (screenshot: "ReportThumbnailFreeze").
Click image for larger version - Name: FreezeFrame.jpg, Views: 85, Size: 19.87 KB Click image for larger version - Name: ReportThumbnailFreeze.jpg, Views: 86, Size: 16.66 KB

- Michael

Spacenexus
UD, yes finding the same (http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=4837097). Some general pick up in overall speed though, but the image issue still remains for first time opening.

@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
Moe
Thanks, we will look into this.

Thanks,
Moe

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software