mwassens Show full post »
BuBBy
mcaton wrote:
mwassons,
does that also apply to Core users? I'm thinking about buying a PB 6 Core update from version 5 Core and it would be great to have the 7 Core also included.

I was (kinda) wondering the same thing. I am a new user (and a full time student on a pension) and purchasing PB 6 Core is a really big expense for a single software package. If I stop eating and start selling body organs I can probably manage paying for a Core License, but to pay for the Pro license will likely involve illegal activities - and just isn't going to happen.

If version 7 is going to be coming out soon - I really don't want to be up for more upgrade fees so soon after buying a new license (I might need to sell someone else's grandmother to raise the money).

If there isn't going to be any version 7 joy for users who purchase version 6 core now - then I guess I will just have to put off getting version 6 - and hope that when version 7 eventually rolls around the pricing is acceptable, and that I haven't already spent the money on text books, stationery and energy drinks.

mcaton
The free upgrade option that was mentioned earlier is specifically for new purchases of PB Pro.  Upgrades and Core purchasers will still receive options for a discount when TheBrain 7 becomes available.

Thank you,
Matt
Peter93
Thanks for the answer, not what I hoped for but still okay.

It would be great to have a PayPal purchase option for TheBrain 7. I'm from Germany where it is not common to pay everything with or even have a CC (I've got one but it takes a couple of days to transfer the money, which is a bit annoying). I think it would be more convenient for many of your customers to pay via PayPal (or have other paying options).

Greetings,
Peter
pthompson
Peter,

You can pay with paypal by sending payment directly to paypal@thebrain.com. When you make your payment please indicate your name and which product you are purchasing. Once we receive payment, we will then process the purchase.

Regards,
HenryTST
I've been a loyal Brain customer for 14 years, upgrading regularly from versions 1 to 6.  The recent $100 upgrade from 6 Pro to 7 Pro seems excessive for primarily curving and labeling the links (I realize there are some other new features, but they are not relevant to my needs).  Although the curved links look more appealing, they often are semi-obscured in large, complex layouts, especially outlines.  At this point, I'm hesitant to pay $100, after 14 years of buying upgrades, for what seems like a few minor improvements that should have been offered free to long-time customers.
mbaas
Hi Peter,

as a german user, you can also purchase Brain-licences from us -although I must admit we don't have upgrade-pricing for V7 yet. We also support payment by bank-transfer...

Viele Grüße

Michael Baas 
Peter93
thanks for the offer, but I think I do it the other way now, because I already transfered the money to my CC and in the meantime I use the Pro Trial witch is fine. Anyway, I hope that other payment options will be available in the future too!
PatrickW
HenryTST wrote:
I've been a loyal Brain customer for 14 years, upgrading regularly from versions 1 to 6.  The recent $100 upgrade from 6 Pro to 7 Pro seems excessive for primarily curving and labeling the links (I realize there are some other new features, but they are not relevant to my needs).  Although the curved links look more appealing, they often are semi-obscured in large, complex layouts, especially outlines.  At this point, I'm hesitant to pay $100, after 14 years of buying upgrades, for what seems like a few minor improvements that should have been offered free to long-time customers.

You are taking the words out of my mouth : long time user, same thoughts ...
dlorde
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickW

Originally Posted by HenryTST

You are taking the words out of my mouth : long time user, same thoughts ...

Exactly my thoughts. As a long-time user, recently retired and with limited resources, even the no-frills upgrade cost for 7 Pro is very difficult to justify.
Spacenexus

I can understand some of the sentiments in this post when we're used to a freemium / app based culture. Comparing upwards from free (zero) is going to render any upgrade or service cost open to question.

I've been a PB user from v1 back in '98 and the developments throughout this time have been immense. It is not only about building new features and usability but also adapting to the ecosystem and user requirements. In addition to client developments going on in v7 i guess that there has been much backend work going on for integration of mobile Brain clients in future.

But more significantly than that, I consider the amount of time saved, information organised consistently for over a decade, and frankly opportunities generated directly by my utilisation of the Brain software to more than justify the costs of maintanence. I could do without a Latte a couple of times a week - I couldn't do without the Brain for an hour.

Knowing we all have to prioritise resources, keep in mind that v7 doesn't mean v6 is any less usable so a user's data set is uninterupted if they choose not to upgrade just yet. When enough features have been added to satisfy those demanding more, the upgrade path is still available.

Jim

@181218:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
dlorde
Spacenexus wrote:
Knowing we all have to prioritise resources, keep in mind that v7 doesn't mean v6 is any less usable so a user's data set is uninterupted if they choose not to upgrade just yet. When enough features have been added to satisfy those demanding more, the upgrade path is still available.

I understand the point you're making. I just feel that for the basic v7 upgrade, where no cloud interconnectivity or webbrain features are included, $100 is high by today's standards - after all, I can get a full, non-upgrade Microsoft Office license for $94 (£59).

HeinrichUnger
Yeah you get a full Upgrade of Microsoft Office for$94. But both firm have to invest in developement - and more users for Microsoft Office means less cost for each user.

dlorde
HeinrichUnger wrote:
Yeah you get a full Upgrade of Microsoft Office for$94

That isn't an upgrade price, it's for a full license.

Less sales means less profit for investment. There's a happy medium to be found.
robert2
I think this is really a great guide for all and I must say Thanks for all who contribute in this to produce this product. I have made my mind to try all this and will let you know about my thoughts about it.
PatrickW
Spacenexus wrote:

I can understand some of the sentiments in this post when we're used to a freemium / app based culture. Comparing upwards from free (zero) is going to render any upgrade or service cost open to question.

It's not so much about freemium, it's about what long time users gain with this update, as it is now :

- New link possibilities : not possible to change linktypes by selecting a group of links. For long time users with big brains, it's waiting for a multiple-link-select until this feature makes sense.

- Syncing to the cloud : I crossed the 10 GB barrier many years ago : say goodbye to cloud syncing.

- The timeline feature I was really hoping and waiting for, well, it's not there ...

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software