naitree Show full post »
naitree
I have another bug to report, about buggy basic functionality I've mentioned previously.

Every time my mac wakes up from sleep, my TB becomes thisCleanShot 2020-08-09 at 22.27.59.png Maybe it's about external monitor support problem. I don't know.
I found out a trick that if I open a new brain tab and back, then the scale will be reset to normal.
Ting
奈特里 wrote:

同学你的心情我理解,观点我也承认。所以我本来只是来来一下,没想到这么多人回复...话说还是让我们用回英文吧,毕竟是人家的地盘...基本礼仪啥的...

It’s been a long time since the release of 11, there have been so many crashes, and it lasted for so long, and the forum search for crash related topics is actually very few, so I almost don’t believe in anything "rarely come to the forum", I suspect that the version came out internally Almost people don’t test very much. In fact, this is not what I care about. As long as I think this software can, you should first ensure its stability. It doesn’t matter if the price is expensive, and the one-time investment is not bad.
NickMilner
Ting wrote:
我也是Chinese用户,楼主所说的问题一直是TheBrain存在的问题,其实在论坛看了这么多帖子,也是TheBrain在回避的问题,也是妨碍TheBrain发展决定性的问题,估计以后也不会变,毕竟TheBrain软件定位是经过产品迭代所存在的“老人”,新人基本很难去接收这个UI、稳定性和价格,不要把这个和Omni比,Omni是全面的覆盖型的生产力厂商,我是心甘情愿的买全家桶和无限升级和订阅网络版OF,因为值,而TheBrain的质量作为一个20年的开发,是真不行,一天崩溃10几次常事,目前还在考虑买不买,让我最介意的就是这软件的稳定性,把第二大脑交给它,真不放心。

You really shouldn't be experiencing crashes 10 times a day. Can you provide some details on what you were doing at the time? Maybe we can help? 🙂
NickMilner
naitree wrote:
I have another bug to report, about buggy basic functionality I've mentioned previously.

Every time my mac wakes up from sleep, my TB becomes this Maybe it's about external monitor support problem. I don't know.
I found out a trick that if I open a new brain tab and back, then the scale will be reset to normal.

This looks to be related to a scaling issue that the devs are already aware of. For example, if I drag TB from my laptop to my ultrawide external monitor (where it looks just fantastic, btw!) I get the same issue. I think the problem is in the underlying 3rd-party graphics library being used (SkiaSharp?).

Another way to solve it is to maximise and un-maximise again (or the other way around.)
Ting
Thanks,
1,The first one is about cloud synchronization. On one end, forget your thoughts, and open the other device with a great probability of directly crashing. This development team has recorded,
2,The second is that my TheBrain is not always in the foreground, but is closed frequently (the Dock is not exited) and opened again, which will often cause a crash.
NickMilner
  1. I had a similar issue with private thoughts tied to events. When private thoughts were hidden the event remained displayed, and when you clicked on the event it would crash. The devs fixed that pretty quickly (events tied to private thoughts also disappear now) and I would expect them to fix this issue quickly, also.
  2. The way I handle this is with BetterTouchTool. I've configured it so a three-finger tap on the touchpad brings TB to the front, making it the active app. A second three-finger tap sends it to the background. I've also assigned TB to "All Desktops" in the dock so it doesn't matter which desktop or app I'm using, a simple three-finger tap and TB is there. Repeat, and it's gone. 🙂 And no crashing. 😉
BTT is really handy when used with TB. It's great to be (for example) working in Excel and think "oh, I have that info in my brain..." <three-finger tap> find the thing I need <three-finger tap> back in Excel...
Ting
NickMilner wrote:
  1. I had a similar issue with private thoughts tied to events. When private thoughts were hidden the event remained displayed, and when you clicked on the event it would crash. The devs fixed that pretty quickly (events tied to private thoughts also disappear now) and I would expect them to fix this issue quickly, also.
  2. The way I handle this is with BetterTouchTool. I've configured it so a three-finger tap on the touchpad brings TB to the front, making it the active app. A second three-finger tap sends it to the background. I've also assigned TB to "All Desktops" in the dock so it doesn't matter which desktop or app I'm using, a simple three-finger tap and TB is there. Repeat, and it's gone. 🙂 And no crashing. 😉

Thank you very much, I will try the second method, hoping to reduce the trouble caused by the crash before the repair.
anonymous

I share some of the same concerns, mainly #4 (small user base) and #6 (expensive software), which prevents me from using the service despite paying for it a few times. I’m constantly afraid I’ll start it up one day and not be able to access anything because the company suddenly shut down all the servers and left town. Some might say, “Nobody would do that to customers” but it happens. Years ago I went to make a phone call one day and had no dial tone. I did some google searches and found out that the company I had my VOIP phone service with shut down suddenly and left a lot of people unable to use their phones.

I’ve tried for YEARS to find an equivalent of TheBrain that I could use on multiple platforms (mobile, web, windows) and that would allow me to keep my data as my own so I’d not risk losing it all or suddenly not being able to access it. Nothing has all of the features I’m looking for except for TheBrain, yet I don’t use the app because I think one of these days my data might suddenly disappear, just like my phone service that one day. Even if I had access to it locally, I’d still have to find a way to rebuild it all in another app if the company decided to take a permanent vacation.

There’s probably nothing anyone could say to make me think my data is always going to be available, since that just can’t be guaranteed, and that’s true of any service. I just hope that if the company does shut down one day there will be advance notice. Hopefully though that won’t happen and the product will continue to exist and improve for decades to come.

NickMilner
NickMilner wrote:
Five days later, a release note in today's patch...

(#6226) Forgotten Thoughts do not sync in some cases

99% sure I can say that I called it. 😉
Brigitte
"Forgotten Thoughts do not sync in some cases" has been fixed in version 11.0.108. Version 11.0.108 is available on the alpha channel.

To get on the Alpha channel:

Windows: Go to Options > Preferences > System > Updates, and select Alpha from the dropdown menu. Then go to Help > Check for Update, and install the update.

macOS: Go to TheBrain > Preferences > System > Updates and select Alpha from the dropdown menu. Then go to TheBrain > Check for Update, and install the update.

Best regards,
Brigitte
TheBrain Technologies
PhilM
naitree wrote:

From a new user's perspective, there are so many issues that just literally prevent new users from buying.

Naitree --

I'll try to make this reply brief, polite, and positive.

For the record, I'm a paying TheBrain customer.

The question I have to ask you is: What are you looking for? You didn't state what you want to achieve with your ideal software. That might help us put several of your criticisms in perspective.

I want to represent "practical knowledge." But there's nothing out there that meets that goal in every aspect. Certainly nothing that correlates with my specific model for development, capture, representation, and management of knowledge. So I chose a product that gives me, a non-programmer, a set of tools that allows me to come closer to meeting my requirements than other "mind-mapping" or "concept-mapping" apps. Most of those apps have an outliner backbone that I find limiting.

TheBrain meets my core requirements with an expressive and coherent implementation of the "circles and arrows" model that people like Tim Berners-Lee and others in the field of Knowledge Representation have adopted. Think "semantic networks."

Of course, there's much more than that in TheBrain -- including dynamic navigation -- but a circles-and-arrows foundation is at the heart of my requirements.

BTW, on Google, just put "TheBrain" in quotes.

Thanks,

Phil Murray
TamingComplexity.org
jbrogaard
Thanks @naitree, I think your inputs are quite valuable. Especially because most of them are actually low hanging fruits BUT only if you're prepared to change (a bit) and not be offensive or resort making excuses/explanations.
  1. UI & webpage: agree, let a UI expert, who's never used TB before, go through the website (e.g. latest news is from 2018) and software (e.g. TB backgrounds). Also, let advanced techniques/use cases come forward in awsome videos. And yes, maybe it should be rebranded and the wording mind-mapping should NOT be allowed, not even for a start-up description.
  2. Bugs: sorry, here's everything smooth on all 3 devices (pc client, android, ipad and sometimes just logging in www)
  3. The name TheBrain - well, when introducing TB to my friends/colleagues they start smiling indulgent... This point I believe is the hardest to change as you rarely change your childs name. But sometimes you wish you also had a middle name 🙂 I'm not a marketing expert but if this 'holistic hyper plex' started today wouldn't it be called something else...?
  4. User base: a relaunch is necessary.
  5. see 1.
  6. Maybe there should be more pro-features into the free or a light-pro. Essentially the software itself doesn't cost anything to distribute but the  syncing does. Therefore I suggest making a light-pro only with light sync, i.e. no backup (users can just export) and 500MB.
  7. Forum: it's never dissapointing and you always get constructive feedback. And get active on other platforms.
  8. Competitors: the ones you mention make a decent effort but aren't they just WIKIs on steroids? None of them gives the user a holistic and dynamic view of all your explicit thoughts and assets.
Okay, here it goes - DYNPLEX :: Visualizing and Activating your Digital World.
So TB-management, don't be afraid to reshake and hit back 😉
~Jens

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software