Stew
Hi all,

Newbie user here so please excuse what may be an obvious question ...

Is it possible to have a child thought link back as the parent of its parent?

To explain further ....
I  am mapping a decision making structure where completing A leads to a decision with 3 options, lets call them 1, 2 & 3.

Option 1 is to quit, option 2 is to continue with the next logical task (B for example) and option 3 is to go back and do another A.

So 1, 2 & 3 are currently linked as child thoughts off A. But I want A to also be a child thought of 3, thereby creating a loop. Does that make sense?

If it's possible to do this I'm not seeing it. Or is this something that people would use jumps for? If so, can you explain the logic behind this please.

Happy to provide more detail if that helps.

Cheers,
dlorde
As far as I know, only one direct link is allowed between two thoughts, but you can link the grandparent as a child of the child, or do a jump link between the child and the grandparent, so to do what you want you'd need to have a 'dummy' thought between the child and the 'parent' you want to link back to. For example, you could have A with A' as a child with your three child options depending from A', then link option three back to A. Grandparent-Child.jpg 

I don't think the brain plex is well suited to process or flow diagrams, it's more about representing relationships.
Stew
@dlorde thanks for the reply. Ok, so maybe not the best use of TheBrain then.

I'll have a play with the jump link and see if I can make that work ... not really likely the interim step with the dummy thought.

I wonder why they've decided not to allow linking back to a parent like that?
Stew
Yeah, it's the only one direct link between thoughts thing that's killing it for me. Similar issues when using jump thoughts in that you can't say A is the parent of 1, 2 & 3 but 3 has a jump back to A.

Guess it's just not set up to do what I want in this case.
dlorde
I can only suggest making the 'dummy' thought contextually descriptive, for example, in my diagram above, instead of calling it A', you could call it Options (or A,Options, if there are likely to be other thoughts with child options), so having completed A, you have Options, which comprises Option 1, Option 2, and Option 3. That way, it makes sense to link Option 3 back to A but not to Options.
Stew
That actually makes more sense to me thinking about it like that. I'll have a play and see how it works out.

Thanks again @dlorde .

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software