Amafortas
Hello all, 

Does anyone here use the brain for personal academic research? I've seen some great examples of how to use the brain to present knowledge but little discussion of ways of using it to manage specific individual research. 

Have a good one, 

~A
zenrain
You may find some of the event recordings useful, available at http://www.thebrain.com/#-148. Specifically Visualizing Complex Industries and Research.

I'd also recommend reading this article on one of the winners of the Seeds of Knowledge contest. Hopefully you can get some good ideas.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Amafortas
Zenrain, 

Thanks for the suggestions. 

However, I was wondering if anyone has an actual academic research brain they might share. It would also be useful if anyone using PersonalBrain for academic research could speak directly to the benefits of doing so and how it is more useful than keeping files in folders. 

Cheers, 

A
protein_function
Amafortas wrote:
Hello all, 

Does anyone here use the brain for personal academic research? I've seen some great examples of how to use the brain to present knowledge but little discussion of ways of using it to manage specific individual research. 

Have a good one, 

~A

Yes, I use PB almost exclusively for personal "academic" research, and in my opinion it is infinitely better than folders (but I won't be sharing my brains).... and it can even work with folders to make them soooo much better. 
andreas
I store all my research papers in PB under a "collect papers" thought. When I actually find the time to read a paper I unlink the paper from this parent thought and add some keywords and the name of the corresponding author as new parent thoughts.
Initially, this creates a lot of loose ends. But with time everything starts to connect together. I can search for a keyword and check the publications I read about the topic. Or I can click on the name of an author and check for an overview of the papers from this lab.
What I find extremely interesting is linking the main authors to their home university. After some time you start to see connections to other researchers at the same university and you can understand why the authors work together etc.

I also teach directly from PB and do not use PowerPoint anymore. This way all my course preparation (will not be visible for the students) and lectures are stored in the same place and I keep adding things daily.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software