Dryopithecus Show full post »
Darkstar
As of 5.0.4.0, the only bad link issues I know of that are still active in it is the "invisible links" issue. 5.0 corrected the known loss and corruption issues. However, those issues were introduced during the development process, and while PB continues to develop, similar issues could crop up again. Considering how precious our data is to us, TheBrain's great development team should address this in some fasion. I believe allowing us to review "what links are forgotten", will let us do this.

Links are very important in PB. Withouth them, thoughts would be almost completely useless. Links provide important information such as relationships and context, as well as providing convenient ways to navigate between thoughts in your digital brain. They need to have the same safeguards as thoughts, and be treated with the same care and importance as thoughts. Links are really just another thought--- a thought that connects 2 thoughts, showing how they are related, and in what context.
-Darkstar
dyslucksia
I've just discovered another good reason to have "Unlink (selected Thought) from Active" in the Thought menu as a new option.

I recently unchecked the Draw Links options in Preferences as I was starting to work a lot more in Outline View where, like Normal View, you can tell the relationships between Thoughts by their positions, and I found the thick wad of downward streaming links from the Home Thought very hard on the eyes, so turned them all off:

Before - hard on the eyes
After - blessed relief

Then it struck me - how will I be able to find a link easily so I can cut it? No good highlighting one of the thoughts at each end, the highlight vanishes as soon as I try moving out along the link and I end up fumbling in the dark until I hit it. To switch link display on/off means drilling down into Preferences (4 clicks) before I can cut a link, then 4 clicks to revert to link display off, each time. Hmm. Being able to do it from a a Thought's context menu option is starting to look pretty good.

PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
dyslucksia
The alternative is to bang the (non-active) Thought into the Selection Box and unlink it from there, which is ok if you're doing it in one step with a macro, a bit of a roundabout way otherwise.

PS sorry about the large font in the picture legends of the previous post. It's this forum message board. The text looks the same as text in the post - until you submit it.

The other problem with it they haven't fixed is that once I've pasted a hyperlink in there in plain text, if I have to go back and edit it, this forum board expands the link into title and URL so what you see is a double link. Worse, with images, the image is gone and replaced by a blue underlined link to it. The only way to fix this (for anyone else suffering from this) is to cut each and every hyperlink including links to image hosts, run them through PureText to strip them of any formatting, then paste them back. If the post contains several images and hyperlinks, that's a lot of work that I'm not prepared to repeat right now just to fix a font problem that wasn't mine in the first place.

dyslucksia
Good news! 5.5.1.4 now has a keyboard accelerator AND Thought context menu option to unlink selected Thought from Active. Works for both keyboard navigation and mouse.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software