J2E

I'm currently using my Brain to help me visualize the structure of my AD environment along with group membership and user information.  I created a script to export group membership into a text outline and was able to add all users and groups into my brain with great ease.  It’s been very beneficial to see any group nesting that is redundant and mistakes in membership.

The problem I’m running into is how to keep my brain relatively current with my ever changing AD structure.  Users and groups are added/removed on at least a daily basis by multiple people and manually making those changes individually would probably be a part time job that I don’t want to do.

Initially I was just exporting the entire outline again and importing into a new brain to see current information.  With the addition of changing thought types, notes, etc that I put in manually, this isn’t a viable option anymore.

My next idea was to select all my thoughts (18k) and unlink them all, run the new outline and the links would all be added again.  Any thoughts still orphaned would be cleaned up later.  I haven’t found a method of unlinking all thoughts as I’m sure that is a very uncommon and ‘dangerous’ thing to be able to do in a brain.  So far, I’m only able to unlink one thought at a time and that’s not viable either.

So, the question is, is there a method to unlink all the thoughts in a selection (using ‘crawl brain’), or is there some other process of keeping my brain current that I’m just not thinking of yet.  If I forget all the thoughts then import a new outline, will thoughts that I’ve previously forgotten with identical names be unforgotten, or will it create a new thought with a different ID?

J2E
No ideas huh?
mkabd
I don't have an idea, but am hopefully watching this thread to see if anyone else does.  I have a similar issue with the data I'm using.  Updating it is rapidly becoming a nightmare.
mbaas
I have a written a piece of Windows-software that converts "tabular data" into Brains. Would love to also look at additional use-cases for my software, possible extensions etc. - but right now I am holding my breath in anticipation of V8 - because V7 was dead slow in handling large XML-Imports, so that I can not really recommend using my software and am hoping it might make more sense with a faster import or possibly other methods of accessing brain-data (a.k.a. "the API")... ;-)
mkabd
Oooh that would be great!  I have many-paged Excel sheets with lists of various institutions, their agreements and attributes if you want to try something different. 

I'm trying to use the brain to graph out a link analysis, because it is so much better looking and accessible than Neo4J, etc.   But I may be driven back to them, because I am having trouble making changes without crawling the entire brain and updating one by one.

It would be great to have an API that worked with Gremlin or Cypher.....

And while we're talking, I don't suppose you know any easy way to batch-update link types, my latest crisis?  [wink]

mbaas
What should that update do? (Change names? Colour or other attributes etc.?)
mkabd
Change link type.  There are about 1000 separate children, scattered under about 8 parents.
mbaas

Ouch. Although there are quite a few usefull tools for mass-editing, I can't think of a way to do this through the UI. If you are adventerous and understand XML, you could do the following:

1. Select relevant thoughts ("touched" by these links) using the various tools - don't forget reports, because you can select by link-type there!
  2. right-click selected thoughts and "Copy thoughts"
  3. paste XML into decent editor (not Notepad!)
  4. backup your brain while working on the nxt steps
  5. understand the XML and modify it (depending on the task, this might be more complex than searching one GUID and replacing with another - but w/o knowing the details I can not give more detailed instructions)
  6. get XML back to clipboard
  7. paste XML back into TheBrain
5 might be challenging and 7 might need to work over night - but it could work.

Well, "adventerous" as I said, but maybe it helps [smile]

J2E
To give an update, I've re-written my vbscript to output a 'properly' formatted XML file that includes thoughts and links. I haven't gotten to the hyperlinks I want to add as well. I only included the guid, name and label for the thoughts and the links I did guid, idA, idB, dir, and name.

So far I'm up to 4k Thoughts and 12k links. theBrain won't import the XML. It gets to about 3800 on the links and then hangs. Any thoughts on improving things? I use a ! prior to the Link guid because I don't have a guid for group membership. Could theBrain be choking on having to create so many new guids? I'll probably attempt to test by generating unique guids for each to see if it helps. The other thing I considered is to create more smaller XML files and import them seperately.
mbaas
Excellent, great news! In my little tool that converts tabular data I am generating GUIDs for every thought, each link etc. - and yet TheBrain struggles horribly when importing that! In a way it is nice to see that I'm no longer alone with that, because now we can try to kickass (eerrhhmm, sorry, I mean "motivate") the engineers to get this import to work solid even with "big data"! :-)
J2E
I'm up to 6000 Thoughts with about 20k in links.  It's working, import is slow and I had to bump up the memory Java could use otherwise it was always hanging on import.  I posted another question topic about the XML that hopefully will shed some more light on the XML format to help us in getting things imported from other systems into the Brain.  http://forums.thebrain.com/post/importing-xml-specifically-entries-and-attributes-6936945?pid=1283115234
mcaton
J2E,

I've submitted your other question/s to our engineers for review.  Just to be sure, have you reviewed our XML documentation?  If not, I've attached it for your reference in case you can find any further information helpful.

Thank you,
Matt
J2E
Matt,

Thanks for your assistance.  I've reviewed the XML doc, it's the first thing I go to. [smile]  I've also submitted an email into support (36907)

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software