zenrain
Just thought an area where other users can contribute their own usage tips, tricks and ideas would be useful.

One that I've found useful recently is to link people related to projects as jump thoughts to the project itself. As I include the persons extension or phone number in the label, if I need to call them I can just mouse over the thought for an immediate phone number.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
zenrain
Another trick I've found stupidly useful are templates.
I use common word document templates, e-mail templates with pre-defined verbiage, and report templates that already have the report layout I always start with.

Another use is for web-brains. If you use a web page attachment for your thought html page (just adding a single webpage attachment will cause that page to open up in the notes), using a template will ease creation of new thoughts and pages.

To add a template, create the document, and from any thought, click the Add Attachment button on the Properties and Attachments window. Then click Templates, and drag your document/e-mail/html page into the folder.
Now, any time you click on the Add Attachment button for a thought, you will see that template included in the document list. Clicking that document will add it to the thought, with the thought's name.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
zenrain
I keep information about state/provincial legislations in PB. To help me I went to the wikipedia article for each state, copied the state flag and added it as the thought icon. I also pasted the US map with it's location highlighted into the thought notes.
This made things much more visually interesting, and made states, and countries easier to tell apart.
Since I then added a thought type of State, along with a supertype of the country name, I can also see the state and provinical flags when I run reports.

This could be easily modified to be a learning aid.

Finally, if you have important thoughts, try adding an exclamation icon. You can also set a thought type of important, color the thought red, and add the icon. Then anytime you set it's thought type, the formatting is automatic.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
jostber
Cool thread, we all love tips.

I have posted a couple before:

http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2894923
http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2847866
http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2827933

Another thing I do with projects, is to link the roles as children of the parent Organisation or Resources in the project. Then I link a person as a jump to each role.

Then I can find all projects or deliveries a person is allocated to by just going to this person's name and see them as jumps.

As children for each person I have these 4 standard thoughts:

<person name>,Tlf: <phone number(office/mobile)>
<person name>, Location:<location or place>
<person name>, Title: <Job Title>
<person name>, email: <email address>

I can then f.ex. find a phone number very fast by entering the last name of the person and tlf,  like this in the instant search

berget tlf

This phone number then appears at once in the instant search list.

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
NickMilner
Here's one that's probably pretty obvious but it's worth describing anyway.

If you have large numbers of links to certain thoughts then create a "pivot" thought to simplify your structure.

A pivot thought is just a thought which serves no other purpose than to structure the links between other thoughts. For example, you may have employee thoughts which relate to all kinds of things; projects they're working on, technologies they are skilled in etc.

Employee thoughts can rapidly become very cluttered if you're not careful, so instead of linking projects directly to employees, link them to a "<Employee>, Projects" sub-thought (a pivot thought). Instead of linking different technologies directly to employees, link them to a "<Employee>, Skills" pivot thought etc.

Now each employee thought is much simpler because they only ever have at most one link for projects and skills. Clicking on the pivot thought then reveals all the information you're looking for.

Again, probably common sense, but worth mentioning!
NickMilner
Related to the above, I have pivot thoughts for capturing my team's skills. They connect to pivot thoughts attached to the various technologies and products we use which allows me to navigate between the section of my brain that deals with employees and the section of my brain that models our products very easily.

The tip here is to use link width to denote skill level.

Create link types for beginner, intermediate and advanced, each with their own widths (thin for beginner, thick for advanced) and then you can see at a glance who is the *best* person to do a particular job.
zenrain
1.) Requires Pro. For really, really quick capturing, create an inbox and pin it. Then when you find something, just drag it to the pin and it will automatically attach the hyperlink/file/folder.

When you have time you can activate the thought and drag your attachments out onto the plex. They will create their own thoughts and you can link them as necessary.

2.) Requires Core. Copy your customized theme files, notes.css and any other PB customization you have, and attach them to thoughts. If for some reason they are lost, or overwritten you will always have them with your program so you can easily restore them. The notes.css rfile is in the PersonalBrain\Res foder (or the equivalent location in the package file for Macs), and custom themes are in the PersonalBrain\Themes Folder.

For easy access you can also create a jump thought with a hyperlink to your PersonalBrain Program files folder.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
jostber
For links and thoughts that I have neither the time nor overview of which category to link to, I have created an "Anchor Thought". This I also have as a pin in the plex. When I find something I want to have in PB, I can link it to this thought, and then link it to a suitable category later.

zenrain
Using the comma trick can be very useful. The key is figuring out when to use it.
I mainly use the comma trick for searching. I've seen other uses also, so this tip may or may not work in your situation.
Generally, I use the comma trick if I have multiple thoughts with the same name in different sections of my Brain, and the parent of the thought is not unique either.

The other time I use it is if I want to be able to search on a certain word, and see all the related thoughts to that word. For example, I'll prepend my apple, orange and pear thoughts with fruit if I know I'll be searching on fruit, and want to see all of them in the instant search window. So when I type Fruit I'll see "Fruit, Apple" and "Fruit, Orange" and "Fruit, Pear".

If the thought name or the parent is unique, or I don't need to group for search returns, then I'll leave the thought name as is.

Note: The comma trick is when a thought has the parent thought name prepended or appended to the child thought name, with the two seperated by a comma. The only time the Parent text is viewable is when the thought is in focus, otherwise just the thought name appears.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Searcher
     If a PB startup program tip appears that I think I might want to refer to in the future, I take a pscreen of just it's window with ALT+PrintScreen, click my "PB tips" pin, create a child thought named with the tip's purpose, then Paste Thought Icon.  I might also add any tags/notes that would later help me find it.

When I later search for it, just holding the mouse over the icon of the thought will bring up the tip.

Ed

sjeeke
Hi All,

I have created a small brain to capture the tips listed above. I found it clearer to see how things are actually implemented rather than reading about it.

Perhaps this is valuable for others and a great way to add, and expand upon. Feel free to update and add comments. E.g. on one of the tips (from jostber of sept 04 where he mentions "link the roles as children of the parent Organisation or Resources in the project. Then I link a person as a jump to each role.") is not clear to me how this is actually implemented...

So bottom line: worthwhile to see if this approach of having some samples in one Tips and Tricks Brain is useful to get rapidly a bunch of ideas on what can be done.

If you add text, ideas, I suggest to update the Version Control Thought.

S.

jostber
This is a great idea! Will check it out.

jostber
See this post regarding a tip for saving of searches:

http://forums.thebrain.com/post/show_single_post?pid=34422243&postcount=80

Julian2008
Hi, I just posted a way to keep PB folders small by replacing the original files (to be attached to a thought) by (Windows) lnk files ...

http://thebrain.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=3605147

Regards
Julian

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software