stuckpipe

I know one can enter mulitple child records by entering a semi-colon between the topics and pasting them into a child, but is there a way to automate the entry of multiple child records with additional information which would be pasted to the notes window for each new child record?  What I have is a list of key words with definitions and I needed a fast way to do this. 

zenrain
Sorry, as far as I know there isn't a way to automatically add notes when creating thoughts. I checked the import outline feature and don't see a way to include notes in there either.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
rhodes
Welcome to the forum.

Assuming that the information you wish to enter is different for each newly created thought, the best I can come up with is to create a long string of thought names separated by semicolons, select a thought with no children, create the new thoughts (as a group of children), control-click the child gate to add them to selection, then activate them in turn by clicking them one by one in the selection box and pasting in the details for each.

If you do this on a regular basis you could create a group of "template" thoughts, copy them in one bunch, paste the copies into the plex where you want them to go, click edit > add pasted thoughts to selection, and click them one by one as above.

Hope this helps.

Alan Rhodes
Julian2008
Nice to see that I'm not the only one wishing this feature so badly for almost 2 years.
PB has a lot of unique features but beeing unable to import a simple note into it is really a shame.
The only format from which one can import "thoughts" AND notes seems to be mm (just like Freemind, Sciplore MindMapping or FreePlane), but I don't know how to get txt-files into Freemind this way in order to export them to PB.

Such a filter for PB could be so simple:

A plain textfile could consist of a special delimiter like @ and the textline following this delimiter could be converted into the thought itself and any other text following this first line would be the note (until the next @-delimiter). This way one could use a simple text editor to prepare the text  (on any computer) and finally drop that stuff into PB.

One could go even further:

@This is the Thought 1
## this could be the content of the label below
and the rest becomes the note itself

@This is the Thought 2
## together with the content of the label of thought 2
and this is the content of note 2 etc.

Julian

zenrain
Agreed, that would be extremely useful.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Harlan
Not at a machine to test right now, but import Word should let you do this. Heading levels serve as your structure while body text shield be imported as notes.
Regards,
-Harlan
Julian2008
Thanks, Harlan, but at least on my machine it does not work. After some error messages  finally the headings have been imported but never the respective "notes" (formatted as body text).

BTW: Does anyone use MindManager (xmmap) or any other Mind Mapping or outliner that uses the OPML or OML  format? Maybe one of these formats allows importing thoughts together with their respective notes?

Regards
Julian

zenrain
Hmm, tested in 6.0.1.3 and 5.5 and it imported the Headings as thoughts, but Normal style text was not imported as notes.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
stuckpipe
I have Mindmapper 8 so I will take a look to see is what I wanted to do with PB can be done. PB was so much easier with the semicolon feature...

jwagstaff
I too would love to see this feature.
Anyone had any luck with Mindmapper etc?
Harlan

In a future release of version 6, body text within a word document will be imported as notes.

Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
The current release of 6.0 allows adding notes, labels, and attachments using the paste outline command.
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software