ChanurCousin
While 5.5 was in beta, I reported the following problem:

http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=3662624

This problem did seem to be fixed in the 5.5.1.9 release, but occasionally comes up in a slightly different form.

I create a new thought, name it the way I want, then attach a web link (usually to Wikipedia) to a page with a different name.   In the beta, this resulted (pretty much every time) in the thought being renamed to the name of the attached web page.   What I have encountered in 5.5.1.9 is that a new thought is created with the name of the web page, and the web link is attached to the new thought rather than to the thought to which I tried to attach it.

Also, unlike the beta version of this problem, which seemed to occur every time, this only occurs occasionally, and I can't yet see a pattern why some entries are created correctly, and others are not.

ChanurCousin (Paul J. Lareau)
Moe
Hi Paul,

Thanks for posting. I ran some tests to replicate the issue you describe in PB version 5.5.2.1 and was not able to.

Quote:

I create a new thought, name it the way I want, then attach a web link (usually to Wikipedia) to a page with a different name.   In the beta, this resulted (pretty much every time) in the thought being renamed to the name of the attached web page.   What I have encountered in 5.5.1.9 is that a new thought is created with the name of the web page, and the web link is attached to the new thought rather than to the thought to which I tried to attach it.

Are you dragging and dropping your weblink onto the newly created Thought when this happens or are you attaching it via Add Attachment > Link to URL or Paste Weblink?

If you are dragging and dropping the URL onto your Thought when you experience this issue, please make sure that the Thought is highlighted when you release your mouse. It could be that you are dragging and dropping the URL into an empty region of your Plex, which results in PB creating a new Thought with attached URL.

Best regards,
Moe

ChanurCousin
Hi Moe --  "Paste Weblink".   It still happens very occasionally, usually about once or twice a day when I'm using PB for several hours.   Because it happens out of the blue without any warning, I can't ever be absolutely sure what I accidentally hit differently, if anything.

Three observations.  

Recently it happened with a Weblink that was not to my typical Wiki links, so it is not just happening with Wiki.  

I noticed that it seems more likely to happen when the PB response is slower ... i.e., when there is a slight delay in PB's command execution, which is more noticeable in this version.   It has made me wonder if when there is a delay in command response and I'm typing fast, I may be rushing the program and not noticing it.  (this delay may be a result of a recent program change ... in earlier versions, I would freeze the program fairly frequently when I rushed it, causing me to have to close and reopen the program ... that seems to not happen in this version.)

Another somewhat frequent occurrence that might be related may be worth mentioning.   My normal entry routine is to (1) enter a thought usually by dragging a link from an existing thought; (2) copy the URL of a Wiki or other page I have also up in a neighboring window, and right click on thought to add weblink; (3) right click on thought to add type; (4) right click on link to add link type if necessary; (5) Add notes, additional links, etc.

Increasingly frequently, when I right click on a thought (most often in step 3 above), I do not go to the normal submenu (the one that begins with "Tag"), but instead get a shorter submenu (that begins with an "Add Weblink" which seems to have a slightly different function).  Normally I just back up and right click again, and the correct menu usually comes up on the second try.   This could be happening and I might be hitting that command if I failed to notice the incorrect menu because I'm entering too fast or glanced away from the screen.  Honestly, I don't know.

Paul 

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software