BHurd
I just want to make sure this one is still on the fix it list, possibly so it can get fixed in the next update.  Adobe pdf files don't seem to be recognized as attachments.  I have a lot of thoughts that have one attachment that is a pdf and there is no attachment Icon on the thought.  The attachments show up just fine in the P&A pane and the icon for the file is correct in that pane, just no icon on the thought.  If there are multiple pdf's and no other kind of attachment I don't even get the 'Multiple attachment icon'.

If there are other types of attachments I will get a thought Icon for multiple attachments and it will generally show the correct number of attachments.

Harlan
No one else has reported this issue to my knowledge and I can't reproduce it. It could be a problem with your Windows registry entries for PDF icons. Are you having this issue only with 4.2 or did you also have this with 4.1? Can you post your output.log file?
Regards,
-Harlan
BHurd
I have had the problem I think since the beginning of 4.0.x.x.  If you do a search of the forums with the keyword 'Adobe" you will see that we have addressed it before several times before  without any solution.  Actually, our first thread sort of got hijacked for a similar icon issue and I think my special case got overlooked.  Anyway, you have suggested that it is a registry problem but I uninstalled acrobat and reinstalled and it didn't fix it.  I rebuilt the icon cache a couple of times and no luck there.

I will say that while there was a user with a similar problem, no one else was echoing my problem specifically with adobe.  So perhaps it is my machine (except that it is happening on two machines, but hey...).  I will send an output log and hopefully you can come up with a suggestion for a solution, or at least figure out if it is me or you.

Thanks for responding and taking another look.

Harlan
Your output.log file does not contain a lookup of a PDF attachment. (there are entries for XLS and MDB, but no PDF) Please be sure to activate a Thought that contains a single PDF attachment and repost the output.log file.

Another thing that would help is if you could export your registry settings as follows:

1. Start > Run > regedit
2. Select "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" on the left
3. File > Export
4. Save the files as "classes.reg" and zip it.

If you could post the resulting zip file, we will be able to look at how Windows has setup your PDF icons and maybe find the problem.

Regards,
-Harlan
BHurd
Well, Harlan, you have saved the day again.  After reading your reply I started digging around in the output.log and saw where TheBrain was looking for the Icon; double checked the reference in the registry and then went to the directory that was referenced.  I discovered that the .ico file referenced wasn't in the directory.  I created an ico file from the .exe and shoved it into the directory.  Rebooted the system and the brain and BAM!! there was my icon!!   Yeah!

I can only assume that the messed up reference had something to do with a process of installing and uninstalling a couple of different trail versions of Acrobat before I installed the full version that I am using.  Somehow the ico file got lost.

Thanks.

Harlan
Glad you were able to solve it.
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software