Tommy
Hi,

Yesterday I upgraded from PB 4.1.2.7 to 4.2.1.5.  I thought that this release would works fine without major problems, but after few minutes of use I'm not able to open my brain anymore.  I have to kill PB from the task manager.  The migration process seems to have worked properly, and I added some new thoughts into my brain, and attached files into these thoughts.  It worked fine for few minutes.  I created a new child thought, and when I did a drag and drop to add (internal) a file (Excel) to this new child, my brain has stopped to work.  When I kill PB and open it again, it hangs up and I'm not abe to open my brain.

In my "output.log" file, and I can see many lines like that one (this is the file I was trying to add to my new thought when PB crashed) :
~Insert Attachment To Entry: 1440 [0] [287]
~Update Display Modification Date: CURRENT_TIMESTAMP [Phoenix,448]
~Add Internal Attachment: 1440 [CCSCP - Fiche d'impact - 012403_1.xls] [F0384A4A-769D-E546-E3F8-9F66E04032B8\CCSCP - Fiche d'impact - 012403_1.xls] [Phoenix,448]
~Insert Attachment: 1441 [8EC1CDC9-3718-09D3-68DA-44D7DBC99DBD] [2008-05-14 09:10:16.313] [null] [CCSCP - Fiche d''impact - 012403_1.xls] [F0384A4A-769D-E546-E3F8-9F66E04032B8\CCSCP - Fiche d''impact - 012403_1.xls] [1] [.xls]

I have a backup of my 4.1.2.7 brain but that would be nice to be able to open my 4.2.1.5 updated brain.  Do you have a solution that I can try?  Let me know if I can help you to improve the stability by sending a log file, so you could know what happened exactly and fix it for a next release...

Thanks,

Tommy
--------------
WinXP SP2, PB 4.2.1.5, Pro Edition.

Quote
bmac
I don't not know if this will be relevant to your issue, but you may want to review this thread.

http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2648490

Bill

Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i5
Quote
bsnyder
I saw this happen over the weekend... I added some attachments to an existing (good) thought, and my cpu utilization went to 99% according to the task window... I looked at the output.log file and found out that it seemed to be "thrashing" on the last thought I was working with.  I too had to terminate PB with the Task window.  Symptomatically, whenever I started PB back up, it would hang as soon as the plex displayed, and it was trying to process that same last thought. 

Fortunately I had a copy on my other computer and retraced my steps without further incident.

It would be nice to have the ability to (re)start up personal brain at the home thought rather than at the last thought processed, just for this reason.  I also wish there were some additional troubleshooting utilities available to us beta users... I'm sure there must be some in existance for the support crew.

B
Quote
Tommy
I have made some tests, and here is the problem/solution...

When you add a file that contains the character ' into it's name to a thought, by using drag and drop, PB freezes and it's impossible to reopen the brain.  When I remove the character ' from the name, I'm able to add the file correctly, but when I add this character, it freezes.

@TheBrain Team...  can you confirm that you have read this issue and that this will be fixed in a next release.  Meanwhile, I will continue to use 4215 and I will pay attention to the filename of attachments...

Regards,

Tommy

Quote
bsnyder
This is consistent with my experience... good catch.  Same thing happened again this morning after I copied/pasted files as attachments.  The CPU began its thrashing... the output log showed "java.lang.IllegalStateException: docs out of order (-73 < 0 )" repeatedly...

This time I went to the thoughts attachment folder and removed the files while PB was running... I immediately saw the CPU usage drop significantly... on restarting PB, it took a while, but then came back into its normal state.


Quote
jataylor
Tommy wrote:
I have made some tests, and here is the problem/solution...

When you add a file that contains the character ' into it's name to a thought, by using drag and drop, PB freezes and it's impossible to reopen the brain.  When I remove the character ' from the name, I'm able to add the file correctly, but when I add this character, it freezes. 


Tommy,

Thanks for posting this discovery.  I've been having the same problem the past couple of days, and every time I had the problem it was with a thought that had a PDF attached, so I thought maybe this was due to the PDFs.

However, those thoughts also had the ' character in their names.  I changed this, and everything worked.
John A. Taylor
PB Pro 6
Win XP, Win 7
Quote
Mariner
Thanks, Tommy.  You saved my bacon.

Harlan, you might want to set this thread up as a 'sticky'.
Quote
mcaton
I've duplicated the error here at TheBrain.

Thanks Tommy!

Matt
Quote
mcaton
Thanks again for your help with discovering this issue.  We'll have this fixed in the next release which should be posted by Monday.

Thank you,
Matt
Quote
Harlan

Version 4.2.1.6 is up now and fixes this problem. When you start your Brain or activate a "problem thought" (one that was causing a freeze before) it may take a minute or two to fix the problem. This pause will only happen once - please be patient. Once it is done, all will be back to normal.

Regards,
-Harlan
Quote

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software