jmopish
i have thought A,  with 15 child thoughts, and three jump thoughts, B,C,D.  some of A's child thoughts are also child thoughts of B.  i wanted to perhaps make some of B's child thoughts also child thoughts of C or D.

the problem is that if A has focus then all of A's child and jump thoughts are visible. but  B's child thoughts links are so interwoven with all the other links i can't tell which goes where.  if i expand all then the screen is a mess, with all children visible, impossible to tell which thought is linked with which, and the jump thoughts have been moved so i can't locate them.

if i make B the focus, then A is collapsed so the  other jump thoughts are not visible.

how can i get control over which types of  thoughts are shown/expanded? leaving the ones i am not interested in unexpanded. is there a secret way to click on a gate to only see the thoughts connected to that gate, without causing the thought to take focus and expand showing all its children?

or a way to expand only one thought, without expanding everything on the screen?

SamCox
Quote:
is there a secret way to click on a gate to only see the thoughts connected to that gate, without causing the thought to take focus and expand showing all its children?

Yes, there is a secret way to collect only the thoughts connected to a gate.
  1. Close the selection box if it's open.
  2. Ctrl+Left-click (Windows) the gate.
All thoughts connected to the Ctrl-clicked gate will appear in a newly-opened selection box without affecting what's displayed in the plex. Right-click in the selection box to see what can be done with the collected thoughts. You can, for example, navigate to another thought can attach the selected thoughts to any of that thought's gates.

Hope this helps,
-- Sam
jmopish
thanks,   i suppose that by clicking on the thoughts in the selection box, i can see some of them in the past thoughts list at bottom of screen and link to them that way.  a possible work around.

controlling expansion of individual gates would be more straightforward.

it is these "little" day to day inadequacies in user control of the plex that make PB frustrating to use.

rhodes
Another solution might be to open Expanded view with A and B in it, then you can expand either in whichever directions you want to go, then save your view. You could drag multiple thoughts into the same Expanded view.
Alan Rhodes
jmopish
thanks rhodes,  i remembered expanded view, which i tried using numerous time in the past, and tried again this time.  same unfortunate results.

as expanded view opens it first moves everything around: disorienting.  then opening thought A means it opens all child thoughts, with the jump thoughts C and D mixed up in there somewhere. after figuring out which thoughts were open and which need to be closed again,  having to go through each thought one at a time closing them.  knowing that some will open themselves up again after a half minute. clicking on the wrong thought will cause the screen to fill with an explosion of thoughts.    if i want to add a note to a thought i have to focus on it, which then opens all its child thoughts, and to close them again i have to focus on another thought so that i can collapse the first again, and hope that it isn't one of those that auto opens after a while.  when i first tried expanded view, some time ago, i found that opening a saved view would occasionally freeze PB.  i had to delete the view.  this happened several times. 

expanded view sounded great.  i don't find it to work well.
do you use it?

rhodes
Only when I've explored every other way of doing something, for the very same reasons you mentioned.
Alan Rhodes
jmopish
rhodes wrote:
Only when I've explored every other way of doing something, for the very same reasons you mentioned.

LOL.

i wonder if PB designers read the forum.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software