tcahill
Those of you who have been around since the late 20th century will remember that some time ago I was talking about an Important/Urgent implementation in PB. That idea has been gathering dust, but I'm finding myself overwhelmed with a multitude of discreet tasks. At times like this, I often will review my past efforts to deal with task tsunamis. So I started looking at the IUMM (thats Important/Urgent Management Matrix) again.

After fiddling with it quite a bit in expanded mode, I came up with an empty matrix that looks like this:

In this layout, the highest priority tasks will be located in the top left of the "chart", and the lowest will be in the bottom right.

It happens that I still had many inter-linked projects and tasks in the old PB file this IUMM was in. When I clicked on each IUMM thought's "+" to reveal the linked tasks, this is how those tasks automatically arranged themselves:

I thought it was very interesting that the result had the effect of producing a very insightful arrangement of the relative priority of all projects automatically. This accidentally seems to be something approaching the usefulness of a dashboard function.

A very useful display artifact that you can see in my screen shots, is that the priority header thoughts, for some reason, have a dotted box around them. At least, I think this attribute is an artifact, because I don't know how anymore to achieve that effect without selecting thoughts to highlight them. (No selections have been made in these screenshots.
)

This post from the version 4.x beta forum, indicated that shift-select showed the shortest path to the active thought. I'm wondering if this is still what the dashed boxes represent.

Click image for larger version - Name: IUMM.png, Views: 849, Size: 26.18 KB Click image for larger version - Name: IUMM1.png, Views: 840, Size: 81.09 KB
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
bfisher
very interesting...  two thoughts

1) the dashed lines (iirc) are from recent clicks on the thought.  If there is no dash line around it - you haven't clicked on that thought for a while.  I changed my graphics settings to get rid of it... don't remember exactly which one but it's one of the colors.

2) I would move not urgent to the left and urgent to the right.  That way the chart goes from bottom left being forgetaboutit and top right being urgent/important.  I think it's more logical (at least in US) for top right to be your Top priority quadrent on a chart.

tcahill
bfisher wrote:
very interesting...  two thoughts
1) the dashed lines (iirc) are from recent clicks on the thought....

Thanks!
bfisher wrote:

2) I would move not urgent to the left and urgent to the right.  That way the chart goes from bottom left being forgetaboutit and top right being urgent/important.  I think it's more logical (at least in US) for top right to be your Top priority quadrent on a chart.

Ah, but I'm left-handed, and I guess my 'brain' is too! I think that I arranged them as I did because I was pleased by having the important and urgent legend items closest together. Of course, my arrangement might unfortunately throw off those who may have become accustomed to "Right" being on the right.

The "Important" legend would need to be moved to the right side to get the same convergence of Top Priority in the vicinity of the matching legend items. Perhaps that's just an aesthetic issue.
Darkstar
Dashed box means all its related thoughts are currently displayed. In other words, it's been "expanded". Hide one of a dashed box's thoughts, and you will see the dashed border disappear (at least until that hidden thought is displayed again).

In the US, most important would be top left. That's where the most important information will be on a screen with text, because we read left to right, top to bottom. Although you could use other systems of graphing, it matches with normal reading and screen usage.
-Darkstar
bfisher
good catch on the dotted lines - yes, you are right.

I disagree with top left being most important in graphing...  Any analyst graph I can picture has the top right being the "best"/"highest priority".  Even picture the cliparts showing sales trends... top right is good

I guess it doesn't much matter... personal preference

tcahill
dyslucksia wrote:
But I guess once you've got the positions right, you can store it as a Saved View and keep returning to it each time.

Yes. Saved Expanded views are a real productivity boost.

dyslucksia wrote:
I notice you've disabled the links here, which makes it difficult to view how the Thoughts are related.

Yes. It was a trade off. Having links on creates a lot of clutter, so, when space is tight, I generally tend to hover over thoughts when I'm looking for their links. Of course, hovering over a *.png doesn't provide the same context. Sorry.
jostber
Cool idea. The bettered saving capabilities of Expanded views in v.5.1 should make this even more useful.
TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software