Visnet

Hello all,

I have several times tried to get attention for an issue with proxy servers.
4 times I have posted in this Issues forum, starting in August 2012, 3 messages disapeared, the one left is in http://forums.thebrain.com/post/proxy-questions-censored-6129760?pid=1276175953#post1276175953

2 times I have send a cry for help to the support email address, both incidents were set to waiting for customer and were then removed from the ticketing system without any resolution offered.
With the beta for TheBrain 8 I tried again to get this issue resolved:
http://forums.thebrain.com/post/using-thebrain-with-proxy-6587254?pid=1280382223#post1280382223
No luck, no responses, no steps taken to even try to solve it.

This makes me wonder why I would prolong my subscription....

That said, I have found a trail what might be pointing to a cause behind this issue of me not being able to use a proxy.
Last week I received a freshly installed Windows 7 laptop in the office. It was holding Java 6 update 12 as a standard installation. With this configuration I was able to use theBrain 8 without any issue to my surprise, nor did I need to any configure proxy settings inside thebrain application. Apearantly thebrain is using the standard internet setting, which points to the proxy configuration. This discovery made me jump with joy!

To be sure about this I made a new restore point today on the PC and installed the latest Java version (7 update 51). And guess what? TheBrain would not anymore use the cloudservices again without the workaround. I checked my workaround to make sure this is the same issue. It was.
I reverted back to the Java 6 with a system restore and TheBrain would directly connect again to the cloud services.

So please! With this extra information try resolve this issue, so I can upgrade the Java version and really enjoy my subscription?

Regards,

Wim

mcaton
Wim,

Thank you for posting, we appreciate the additional information.

Glad to hear that you found a temporary solution. I'll forward this information on to our developers for further review and see if we can figure out why Java 7 is causing some problems.

Thank you,
Matt Caton
TheBrain Technologies
Visnet
Matt,

Any progress on this issue? I do have minor issues when using the old java. For example, importing a brain from the cloud is not updating the indexes in the brain. If I touch a thought it is indexed for immediate search, if I did not touch it, search won't find it except in the search tab.

Not 100% sure if this is an issue with the old version of Java or an issue with thebrain 8.0.0.8.

Regards,

Wim
mcaton
Wim,

We're still not clear as to why this is happening.  The Java 7 should not affect TheBrain's function for syncing in this way.

Can you please send us a copy of your output.log file as well as your TheBrain8Preferences.xml file right after the start of TheBrain?  (without clearing the proxy settings and re-entering them)

If you are using Windows, right click the TheBrain icon in your start menu then select "Run as administrator", this will enable TheBrain to run as administrator for one session. Next, reproduce the problem then forward us a copy of your output.log file which can be found in the "Program Files\TheBrain" folder on your system.

TheBrain8Perferences.xml file will be located in C:\Users\[your name]\AppData\Roaming\TheBrain.  The AppData file may be hidden depending on your settings and you'll need to set your explorer window up to Show Hidden/Protected Files.

Thank you,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software