danlandrum
The purpose would be to try and fire up some current discussion of Mac-centric best practices, workarounds, time-savers, etc., either here, or in a closed Google or FB group. Here is fine, though I know I'm a little hesitant to let off steam and clutter a developer's forum.

No software is perfect, and I'm a big fan of TheBrain. I appreciate and benefit from their work and concepts. As with any software, some features don't necessarily deliver as promised, but the good far outweighs the bad, and workarounds usually exist for people actually doing work. Getting to these workarounds as quickly as possible is important. I think this is especially true in multi-platform software like this. 

Thoughts? 

Dan

- "Were you out on the lake today kissing your Brain?" (from The Man with Two Brains.)
OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
yuryg
I love the Brain, my only problem is the Export. 

I will never host my information on a public site, especially where I have a lot of my personal and work data maintained.  Look at Target, Chase, etc. and all the problems. The only way I know that no one will have access to my data is that it is locally stored on my systems. 

If my laptop, tablet, etc is stolen then that is my fault. And my security better be good enough on that device. 

So with that being said, the current export in to HTML is pretty bad (as I can only do a basic export with no search, etc) the reason is that the XML export can not be run locally (it used to be able to be run locally in previous versions, and I have been a user for a VERY VERY long time). 

zenrain
Sounds like a good idea to me. Keeping it on the forum is probably fine, unless the criticism changes from constructive to just general venting.
[smile]

Re: The export. This has always been a difficult piece of TheBrain, both for Windows and OS X. Currently the options that don't involve WebBrain are limited and the HTML export as noted is a pale reflection of the desktop and WebBrain version. I actually don't see this improving in the future. I think HTML export was always a workaround until something more robust could be created, which happens to be WebBrain now.
I wish they would allow an OPML export, or create APIs so TheBrain can interact with other applications easier.

I'm not sure what you mean by the XML export can not be run locally. I just tested this and was able to export the XML from my database to my local drive. In order to not sidetrack the original intent of this post, maybe create a new post with the details of what is occurring?

macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software