sean
Are there any plans in the near future on adding API access to TheBrain?

As a start, a way to make REST API calls to add, remove, modify thoughts. I think the community could then create add-in and plugin in other apps that communicate with TheBrain.
Cerebrum
Adding API access is one of the oldest unfulfilled requests:
August 2007
July 2008
October 2011
May 2016
January 2018
September 2018

Two and a half years ago, Harlan said this:
Quote:
When version 9 is done, we have many more things planned, including an API. We're not going to announce when anything is coming until we are sure we can deliver it at that time.

rht
(apologies if this is duplicate) 
Count me in as one who would really like an API - I'm hacking together my own in python, but its all just load everything, manually delete and then reload when i have time. A real API would be like an early christmas!!
Randy Thurber
sean
Cerebrum, you've kept track for a long time ðŸ˜‹ I guess it's only been 12 years. It would seem that this requirement would have to be put on snooze for another 2 years.

Randy, I thought about the python approach but unless the DB schema is made public, so that we know when and what changes are made, it would just be reverse engineering which would break frequently or worse inadvertently. For bulk import the json format can be used, though I don't think it is documented anywhere.

Cerebrum wrote:
Adding API access is one of the oldest unfulfilled requests:
August 2007
July 2008
October 2011
May 2016
January 2018
September 2018

Two and a half years ago, Harlan said this:
rht
thanks for the response Sean. I understand that you guys have to balance tradeoffs.....I knew json was in the mix there, i can see it in the logs when it doesn't like my code on an import. If theres any( doesn't have to be complete or pretty) information you can send me on the json format, for import or updates, it would help.
Thanks again!
Randy Thurber
sean
Randy, like I said it isn't documented anywhere. I mainly use it to rename thoughts. So after exporting to brz, unzip the files and edit the thoughts.json file. Many fields are self-explanatory. The ones that aren't such as "Kind":1,"Relation":1,"Direction":-1,"Meaning":1,"Thickness":-1, I just leave alone. Then zip back to brz and import.
jnoble
Let me add my own voice to the request for a REST API.  To me, not being able to automate thought updates is a major constraint for the TheBrain given how dynamic data/knowledge structures can be and the need for integration with other productivity tools.

Two questions:
- Any realistic timelines for an API for v11?
- If not, any thoughts on sharing python scripts to "hack" a solution?
rht
thanks Sean, that tidbit even helps.
Randy Thurber
Cerebrum
The database structure for the user-modifiable data is relatively simple and could be easily accessed through an API but the behind-the-scenes functions (like synchronization and modification logs) are complex. I think that this complexity has made it very difficult to implement a robust API.
sean wrote:
I mainly use it to rename thoughts.
Have you tried using the "Find and Replace" feature in File/Utilities?
sean
Cerebrum, yes I have, but using the export I can number thoughts in notepad++ or run some external script.
mattgyverlee
Hi Sean and Cerebrum,
Have you tried editing the database directly? Its' just SQLlite. I made a backup just in case, and using DB Browser and PowerGrep I was able to convert and move a couple-thousand attachments from external URLs to local without an import-export (with theBrain open (probably not a good idea)!) . This worked instantly on the desktop side. The downside is that if you don't adjust the modification date, it might not sync to the cloud until you touch it again.
I found a goofy workaround for that. I set my brain to wander at high-speed for an hour, which forced a sync on all touched content.
~M
eeik
Thanks for the DB Browser // PowerGrep suggestion @mattgyverlee ... I'm going to have to take a look at this now and see how I can merge that with the logfile reporting dashboards I've been working on recently (Elastic Stack exploration into the observable behavior from TheBrain's logfile exhaust).

I for one am incredibly excited for this new API that's been in the works for nearly 12 years. I can hardly contain my excitement since, with that much time for a thorough product/market competitive analysis, design refinement and iteration, and experience testing on the bits, the developer experience and the app extension store/portal experience must be something super special! Maybe it's even going to have all sorts of great add-ons already published within the store at launch!? I sure wish I could get access to the spec so I could start building out my own app extension to tackle some of the powerful new experiences I've been dreaming up and have been so excited to build and share with TheBrain's community to extend their experience with the product!! Oh boy oh boy oh boy I can't wait ... oh, huh?, wait!

Cheeky narrative aside, I realize the team has been putting in a bunch of work on cross-platform support and the mobile experience and has built up, presumably, the entire API that we've been begging for for years now in support of their WebBrain cloud offering ... so *hopefully* there will come a time *soon'ish* in which they can flip a bit and provide local API access for non-cloud users and app builders to integrate with the desktop client and local database. Maybe? 👻
Cerebrum
Another option: SQLite Studio.
eeik
@Cerebrum, @mattgyverlee ... I'm loving these tool suggestions!! Thank you! ðŸÂ¥â€š

rht wrote:
I'm hacking together my own in python ... a real API would be like an early christmas!!
jnoble wrote:
any thoughts on sharing python scripts to "hack" a solution?
Agree with you both ... w/ these SQLite tools under my belt now, I'm feel like a kid in a candy shop getting ready for the main event! I'd REALLY LOVE ðŸÃ¢â‚¬â„¢Ã¢â‚¬Â¢ to see Python embraced as a first class integration layer for the API itself plus as a local programmable platform layer to integrate all of the web-scraping, data ingress, and user defined IFTTT-like integrations with any endpoints on the web that we can envision ðŸÅ½Ã¢â‚¬Â° I've been hacking together my own python scripts as well, plus I've created a beautiful Kibana dashboard to review my logfile exhaust in the hopes of helping to track down a memory issue that has yielded 65 hard crashes for me since the beginning of April.
Full Dashboard.png
Perhaps there's already some critical community mass here to tap into? ... can we begin sharing what we all have in mind in some useful way?

I could put together a shared collaboration brain for us to all contribute to if anyone's interested. Within, we could then tease out our brain extension ideas, identify owners, contributors, and loose specs, and then bootstrap our own community developed extension library for when an API may hopefully one day be released? Any interest? ÃƒÆ’°Å¸â€Å½Ã°Å¸â€˜â‚¬

✅ if so, please private message 💬 me or email me 📨 from my profile page and we can take it from there...

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software