jbaty
I frequently use app-specific URLs to link into things like OmniFocus and Tinderbox.

A couple of observations while trying to do this in v9.

I cannot paste a link into the URL field using the keyboard after clicking "Add Attachment" then "Enter URL". (see attached) I have to right-click and select "Paste". I'd prefer just hitting Command-v (This is on a Mac, obviously).

The "Insert URL" option doesn't always show up. I thought this was because the URL I tried pasting wasn't a web URL but sometimes it shows up when there's an OmniFocus URL in the clipboard and sometimes not. Can't find a consistent cause.

After pasting a URL into the Location field, a link sometimes ends up in the note also. Again, only sometimes and I can't figure out how to replicate it consistently.

After pasting a URL into the Location field, "http://" is automatically prepended to what I pasted. Not always desirable. (see second screenshot)

OmniFocus URLs are sometimes clickable links when pasted into a note, and sometimes not. (I'd prefer they always were clickable [smile] ). 

The above seems to apply equally to links for Omnifocus, Tinderbox, Curio, etc.

Click image for larger version - Name: TheBrain.jpg, Views: 141, Size: 19.47 KB Click image for larger version - Name: TheBrain_2.jpg, Views: 142, Size: 13.61 KB
pthompson
jbaty wrote:

I cannot paste a link into the URL field using the keyboard after clicking "Add Attachment" then "Enter URL". (see attached) I have to right-click and select "Paste". I'd prefer just hitting Command-v (This is on a Mac, obviously).

I'm definitely not seeing this on my Macbook running OS X 10.11.4. ⌘+V, ⌘+C; ⌘+X all word for me in that field. Are you using any third party applications that modify or change the way your clipboard works, including things like Keyboard Maestro?

jbaty wrote:

The "Insert URL" option doesn't always show up. I thought this was because the URL I tried pasting wasn't a web URL but sometimes it shows up when there's an OmniFocus URL in the clipboard and sometimes not. Can't find a consistent cause.

We'll look into this.

jbaty wrote:

After pasting a URL into the Location field, a link sometimes ends up in the note also. Again, only sometimes and I can't figure out how to replicate it consistently.

I've never seen this. It sounds pretty hard to replicate but we will try.

jbaty wrote:

After pasting a URL into the Location field, "http://" is automatically prepended to what I pasted. Not always desirable. (see second screenshot)

I'm not seeing any screenshots, but I am pretty sure this is done on purpose, otherwise the page will not load properly in the Embedded Browser.

jbaty wrote:

OmniFocus URLs are sometimes clickable links when pasted into a note, and sometimes not. (I'd prefer they always were clickable [smile] [wink]

The above seems to apply equally to links for Omnifocus, Tinderbox, Curio, etc.

Are there specific things you are copying from OmniFocus to see this? It's been a while since I have used OmniFocus, but I will go ahead and re-install it to test this.
jbaty
Quote:
I'm definitely not seeing this on my Macbook running OS X 10.11.4. ?+V, ?+C; ?+X all word for me in that field. Are you using any third party applications that modify or change the way your clipboard works, including things like Keyboard Maestro?

Cut works (?+X) but Paste (?+V) does not. I have disabled Keyboard Maestro/Engine etc. Choosing "Paste" from the Edit menu does not work either. Only right-clicking in the field works. Weird.

Quote:
I'm not seeing any screenshots, but I am pretty sure this is done on purpose, otherwise the page will not load properly in the Embedded Browser.

Makes sense. It probably doesn't make sense to add exceptions for specific app's URL strings.

Quote:

I can't replicate it consistently either, sorry. Here's what my previously-empty note field looks like after testing Paste in the Enter URL field. It's like the pastes are going "through" the field and into the note itself. That would be interesting [smile]

TheBrain 3.jpg 

Quote:
Are there specific things you are copying from OmniFocus to see this?

I'm copying a link to the task in Omnifocus using "Copy as Link". e.g. "omnifocus:///task/mwQNBXfiNIm". In the following image, I pasted a link once, hit return, navigated to other thoughts, came back and pasted again. The first URL doesn't link but the second does. No idea why. Both were pasted using ?-V (which works every _except_ in the Enter URL field).

TheBrain 4.jpg 

I'll keep playing with it to see if I can nail it down. Thanks for looking.

mcaton
Thanks for sharing Jack.  We'll keep testint on our end too.

Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software