DavidGretzschel

"open explorer and select this file" 
expected behaviour:
It would open an explorer window, if I select a thought which has an attachment.
If it's a copied or moved attachment, I'd expect it to open a "theBrain"-folder.
If it's a linked attachment, I'd expect it to open and select the corresponding file.

Not sure what I'd expect if there are multiple attachments.  A promt where I can select one.
Or perhaps all of them opening in sepearte explorer windows.

observed behaviour:

nothing happens.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

Harlan
Works as expected in my testing... How are you selecting this command? Context menu? If so, which one? Please also verify that the Windows File Explorer window is not just out of sight somewhere (happens with multiple monitors more than you might think).
Regards,
-Harlan
DavidGretzschel

it's inconsistent I guess? Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
Don't care to figure out the specifics right now. Each time I'm selecting the nodes with the green thingy, I hit ctrl+k (the hotkey I set).
Works for that AHK-installer which was copied, instead of linked.
Video also shows the input-capture-bug that bot__bot described.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

--
---
---

mcaton
David,

A thought that has a shortcut as an attachment has no containing folder yet. So there's no folder in Windows Explorer to open.
Do you think that clicking on Ctrl+k in your example should create and open an empty Thought folder?

Thank you,
Matt
DavidGretzschel
None of the examples had a shortcut as an attachment. But I'll record it here again for clarity:

Also note that the shortcut does not work for a thought that contains an additional note, which I can only access by using the shortcut for opening the thought-folder.
A note however is a kind of attachment (after all, I am creating a note via the "add attachment"-dialog), thus the shortcut should show it to me in the explorer, even if that happens to be in the thought-folder as well.
Because the command is called Attachment>show in explorer.

--
---
---

DavidGretzschel
So I guess the command fails as soon as there are two attachments.

--
---
---

DavidGretzschel

Ah I see your confusion regarding shortcuts:
In the UI they apparently have those little shortcut-symbols in the icon.
I don't know why theh have those, perhaps that's another bug.
Perhaps that's to indicate that they're linked rather than copied or moved.
Those files have been dragged and dropped onto the thought for linking them.
The files themselves however are not shortcuts.
When I execute the command on a thought which has a single linked file, it correctly opens the explorer window.
Nothing happens when I do the same, but with multiple linked ones.
Also, I'm only using a single monitor, so nothing is opening somewhere else.

--
---
---

Harlan

The "Show in Explorer" command can only be executed when you have an attachment selected and is not valid for the notes file. (Maybe it should be, but that is a separate discussion.)

To make the command work, first switch content tabs to the attachment you want to view in Explorer, then press the key combo you assigned.

Regards,
-Harlan
DavidGretzschel

regarding notes:
Well then it should be called "Attachment>Open Attachment, unless that attachment happens to be a note, in which case never mind".
Or don't call a note an attachment.
If the command tells me it will do something it has to do exactly that and nothing else.
Otherwise it's a broken command. Cause the user can't read your mind, but can only go by your word.

--
regarding: attachment-tab selection

Ah I see it now. I guess that's kinda obvious from the description "Open explorer and select this file"
(gray text on white background is not something that is easily noticeable).
I just looked at "Show in Explorer" and made some assumptions.

I've learnt that I could use this shortcut when the Plex is maximized as well, where there's no visible selection of a content-tab.
If this broke in the past, my natural assumption was, that it's broken, not that I don't understand what it's supposed to do.
Invisibly-selected tabs are quite the conceptual leap to make.
Besides, I still don't have any clue how this would work, if I use lists instead of tabs.
Also some thoughts might have a PDF as well as a notes-file.
My assumption was that I'd have a shortcut, with which I instantly could open the PDF if only the thought is selected
and I'd also have a shortcut with which I could instantly call the notes-editor without having to do some intermittent Kung-Fu
to ensure that the right thing is selected.
(it really weirds me out that I can change the selected tab by pressing "ctrl+q", I think you're expecting a bit too much from the user,
when you demand that he has to chaing together two shortcuts, the first one having no apparent effect)

I have learnt this, because I'm giving this program a lot of attention, and by making many mistakes and having them pointed out here.
I guess I didn't correctly guess what the command actually does, because what the command actually does, is kinda unnecessarily inconvenient and confusing.
Change it to something more sensible, perhaps?
If it would open an explorer window for each attachment (with or without notes), no matter which attachment-tab is selected, that would be good.

--
---
---

DavidGretzschel

also regarding: select the tab first

This is not necessary when using the command "open attachment". So the inconsistency is another reason why this catches one completely off-guard.

--
---
---

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software