westbroek
Hey folks, I'm moving a whole bunch of files and linking them into PB. Every time I drop 10-20 PDF links that way, CPU usage spikes to 99% and hangs there for a while. It makes adding these files a bit cumbersome.

That normal behavior on everyone else's side?

Added: on that note, I wish it was easier to mirror files in/with PB. I despise virtual thoughts, love individual file attachments (zoom, added notes, linking to one file etc). But that this has to be done manually. <shakes head> Unbelievable
dcb_oz
Don't know if I can say normal but I can say expected. Dropping attachments always gives me a few seconds pause. I'm working of a USB stick so it may be that. Haven't checked CPU usage.

David

jroeterd
I guess it has to do with the option to index file attachments. Adding 10 or more at the same time it means you index 10 PDF files and when you do that multiple times in a row you keep it quit bussy.

Kind Regards,
Jeroen Roeterd
sjeeke
Hi,

You might want to look at the thread http://websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2851736 where I posted a similar issue in the past when I was moving big files (mp3s, mp4s and pdfs) into the brain which always took a long time (some so long I killed PB from the task manager).

I don't know if this issue has been solved. I have moved huge files out of the brain and an waiting for an reply from the PB team to hear that the issue has been adressed.

Cheers,

S
zenrain
Wow.
My Mac indexed 1300 URL attachments in approximately 10-15 minutes (possibly less, I walked away). I'm running a 2.0 GHz processor with 2 Gb of RAM.
What kind of connection speed do you have to the internet?
If you have a decent connection speed, I would start poking around, try disabling all non-essential programs to see if there are compatibility issues with some other software that's running. If that doesn't improve things, try disabling your antivirus to see if that's causing it. It should not be taking that long.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
zenrain
I think it's your connection speed. 52 KBs is the speed of a phone modem, and since PB has to go out and grab the contents of each site (effectively it takes the source html and converts it to text so you can search the web contets) it may take approximately 30-60 seconds per site since it's most likely waiting for the whole page to finish loading.
The CPU usage may be because it's tied up waiting for a return. I'll run a usage test at home and let you know what comes up.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Steeph
dyslucksia wrote:
Thanks zenrain for your helpful advice. I get 52 KB/sec down and about 12 KB/sec up. It's probably my machine, then (sigh).

I checked the running processes and PB seems to hog the CPU 99%. Maybe I should try changing PageFile size from optimized fixed upper and lower (1.5 Gb) to automatic, to give PB a bit more space to "breathe". Anyone think this is worth trying?

Are you on dial-up? It's 10 years ago that I had such speeds here. I won't get you jealous with the speeds I have here on Cable internet

Usually CPU and memory are not related in that way. 99% CPU usage won't say anything about memory usage. You can check easily in the Task Manager (CTRL-SHIFT-ESC) on the Performance tab. You should see the amount of free memory there.
Unless you've run out of memory this probably is not worth trying. And if you were running out of memory you would have warnings/problems elsewhere already I suspect.
PB user since 1998

Mind over matter?
I don't mind and it doesn't matter.
TB 8.0.2.1 Pro on Win10.1 Pro 64bit JVM 1.8.0-112
westbroek
I don't remember PB taking that much time before with attachments, large or small.

CPU and especially RAM are more than sufficient.

I'm not near my desktop machine right now but will do a test with anti-virus software switched off. Maybe PB accessing a bunch of files has the virus scanner check each file while meanwhile PB "hangs" at 99% as it waits for the doc?

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software