pvonk
I'm using the 30-day demo and doing a lot of thinking about how to organize my brain. I'm currently going through a lot of files or URL links scattered about my drive and in "collection" apps such as DevonThink Office Pro and Together to name a few. The placement of files in PB is something I've been contemplating and I ask for any guidance:

For files that discuss multiple topics (eg. an article on "CVS on a Mac"), I create a Drag&Drop thought and connect to multiple parents (e.g. "CVS" and "Mac"). I figure this is better than making the same file an attachment to multiple thoughts.

My question has to do with files that belong to only one thought, when there are a lot of files for that thought. In some cases, I have a bunch of URL links to different web sites that deal with the thought (like CVS). That's okay - I make them attachments to the thought. But in other cases, I have links or files whose names (or titles) are meaningful (e.g. CVS server maintenance), and I'd like to have them as child thoughts just for the visual effect (as opposed to having them lost in the list of attachments in the thought, and thus less visible as I traverse the brain or sub-brain). But this may result in *many* children for the parent thought which clutters things up.

Any suggestions?

- Pierre

Simplify, Simplify, Simplify - Thoreau
Darkstar
Yeah--- whichever works best for you.

If the thought NAME communicates important information about that link, then don't worry if you end up with 20 or even 100 such thoughts under a topic (although you might want to make sub-topics if you want to have just a screen or two per thought topic).

Remember, you don't need to carve your methodology in stone, and then never vary. Store your information in the way that makes the sense to you. If you later change your understanding or need to change your thought arrangements (due to growth or refactoring, for instance), then you can. PB doesn't tie you down to how it has to be stored. If you use PB long enough, you are going to change how you like to have your information arranged and when.

Enjoy using your brain in new ways!
-Darkstar
zenrain
Usually, when you start to get a huge collection of children you find you can subcategorize them. Once they are subcategorized they may change their relationship to the parent thought, or go completely into their own tangent, or stay where they are.

Until they get to the point where they are too confusing and / or unmanageable I'd do the first thing that makes sense. Once you add more and more, patterns will emerge, and then you can adjust again.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
pvonk
Thanks. I agree that when a link/file is made a thought because I can provide a meaningful name instead of making that link/file an attachment to the parent thought - then doing the former makes it easier to categorize and "see" things. I'll do that until I get too many thoughts, at which time I'll think about introducing subtopic, intermediate thoughts to re-categorize.

pvonk
I tried your idea but couldn't get the link to activate when clicking on it. But I found the trick, option-click does it. I think your idea may be the best solution for my purposes, I'll try that out for some thoughts and compare the different approaches to see which one works for me in the long run.

BTW, since *many* of my thoughts have URL attachments, I can drag the links into the notes section and convert them into a hyperlink, complete with title as you suggested.

"That's about all that Notes is good for..." ??? I've got text documents in some of my notes section of thoughts. Much like Together, MacJournal, Journler, etc, I use the notes pane to store text.. in some cases, lots of text. I find it better to do this than to add an attachment to a .txt or .rtf file.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software