JHS87
I haven´t really understood what exactly a brainzip file is.
  • Does brainzip backup the entire brain including notes, files and brain settings - EVERYTHING in brain directory???
  • What happens when you open a brainzip in the brain - is the data extracted to a temp directory or does it run the brain right from the zip? What to do if i want to have an old brain folder permanently replaced with the brain folder from a brainzip?
  • What type of compression is used - obviously ZIP, but is a brainzip compatible with standard file compression utilities like WinZip or WinRAR?
Dryopithecus
1. The short answer is yes, brainzip will take care all your brain data and settings. But not "EVERYTHING in brain directory", the trash folder, log files, and index files are not included.

2. PB will extract brainzip to a folder you specified, then open the brain file from that folder.

3. It's compatible with 7-Zip. If I rename it from *.brainzip to *.zip, I can open it directly in Windows Explorer. I haven't tested it with other compression utilities yet.

JHS87
Thank you for your precise answers :-) Now i dare to use it for my backups.

agnor
In general, I wouldn't recommend opening up the brainzip file with anything other than Personal Brain, lest you risk changing something and PB not being able to use the file to restore the brain in question.
mbaas
Oops - removed redundant reply...
Darkstar
dyslucksia, a brainzip is actually just zip file, using its own extension for its their own purposes. As a standard zip, all versions of Winzip will work on it, as will any other tool that understands the "zip" standard. Even Windows knows what it is--- if you "add" the extension ".zip" to it (or if you change the extension ".brainzip" to ".zip"), you can then use Windows in-built zip handlers to play with it.

But it is best to not go mucking about in a brainzip unless you have it copied/backed up somewhere--- just in case you change something you didn't mean to.
-Darkstar
JHS87
It appears to me that my trash folder takes up 36 GB of space!! Can anyone please explain what exactly the trash folder is (deleted attachments?) and how it works. Can i just delete the files from explorer? Why isn´t this folder automatically emptied by PB?
Moe
Hi JHS87, Thanks for posting.  Here is a discussion about the trash folder http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=3244736&highlight=trash+folder.

Best regards,
Moe

JHS87
I emptied the trash folder. Thanks!! In a long time i have wondered why my brain took up so much space.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software