Chad
The basic search and search function when creating links seems to work on a "Starts with" whatever you type in. This is extremely limiting and any prefix added to a topic will result in zero matches found. I've even tried to prefix an asterisk hoping for some wildcard matches to no luck. Please improve this search just a little to at least allow us to find results containing our search strings. Having to head over to the report area search is a PITA when you have a search box at your fingertips.
ruudhein
Can you share a screenshot of a thought you're trying to find but cannot get to with search?

In several parts of my brain I worked with comma separated thought names and getting any part to match is no problem. The larger your brain, the harder it can be sometimes to find the right thought in the list of results though 
Using: Evernote | FilterizeDynalist | InstaPaper | Liner | PrintFriendly | TheBrain v11.0.28.0

(Windows 10)
metta
@Chad ~

You might want to take a look at TB10 Transition Guide since it details how some of the recent search enhancements should be working, including the use of special characters:
http://forums.thebrain.com/post/thebrain-10-transition-guide-9926333

This certainly doesn't address all of the current limitations with TB10's search function, but at least it would tell you if the type of wildcard (*) search you are doing should be working.
Chad
Thanks for the replies.

A very simple example on a new brain : Home -> Foo -> FooBar.
1) Enter Bar in find box -- no result
2) New Thought under Home, Drag to make a new link, enter Bar -- no results

I did test and notice that using a symbol, e.g. @ in Foo@Bar does allow a result to be returned on "bar". Sadly it isn't a replacement for a substring search on the basic search/link interface.
metta
We've been told by TheBrain support that the current search function only recognizes the initial characters in a string as well as common abbreviations (NYSE for New York Stock Exchange).

Looks like what you are requesting (finding a word within in a search string) would be a new feature.

In the meantime, I appreciate your update on special characters within a string being found in a search. At least that will be helpful for future reference.
Chad
Thanks Metta,

The main problem is that when creating links to existing thoughts you must have the starting characters of thought *word* correct otherwise you would get an empty result and possibly create a duplicate thought. As the "create link thought search box" only returns thoughts, I do believe the searching could be expanded as it would be performed on a much smaller index. And you are correct, it does sound like a feature request.
metta
Thanks again for your feedback, Chad.

After rereading my previous post, I realize I misspoke and probably should have said: "the current search function only recognizes the initial characters in a word" (not in a string).

Unless you have a thought name with NO spaces and NO special characters, the search should bring up the thought name if the initial characters of ANY word in the thought name are entered. For example: entering any of the following word fragments should bring up "New York Stock Exchange": yor, stoc, exchan

I understand of course this doesn't solve the problem you raised in your initial example. Just didn't want to misrepresent how the current search function should be working.
cremoer
I think, this kind of search should be fairly ok... Although for such a monster like TB, something like an extended search with operators like "NEAR" "AND" "OR" or searching for substrings should be no problem! Showing every substring in every search can also be painful, as the results will be overwhelming then...

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software