peekay
Hello,

I've gone back a few years in the general forum topics for an answer to this; can someone point me to some threads/resources on best practices for maintaining a Brain as it gets larger?

As my Brain has gotten larger, and as I'm a relatively new user, I find pockets of thoughts not structured in the most useful way or utilizing helpful features I've learned later, e.g., tags. For this reason, I'm finding myself doing two things:

-being careful about how information gets entered into the Brain, e.g., tags or not, comma, etc.
-going back and pruning the brain

Both of these steps seem contrary to how the Brain should be used and I can't imagine doing this as my Brain gets larger.

Any suggestions?

Antonio68
Hi Peekay,
I have a 6GB zipped brain and I started using the software in 2008. From that moment I the brain evolved and rules for entering information changed. However, since I tried to follow my natural way of thinking, I always find the information I want.
I don't scan the brain to re-organize the information, but when I navigate in a part of the brain the have an old structure I may be decide to update it

Spacenexus
See if there are some useful ideas in this blog: http://blog.thebrain.com/megabrain/

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
zenrain
Excellent article, I had forgotten about that.

You may also check out the evolution of structure I & II on the PersonalBrain Usage KB WebBrain. WebBrain seems to be down right now, so I can't link directly to it, however, once it's back up you can access it from here.

I agree with Antonio68. After your database reaches a certain size it just doesn't make sense to maintain and update all the thoughts when you find a better way to name, tag or type thoughts.

Generally I can find 90% of my thoughts using Instant Activate. It's only when I forget the thought name or can't find related thoughts that I have to use Reports and Advanced searching. At that point I ask myself what I could do differently to help me find it easier next time, update the name, link it to a related thought, apply a tag, etc. I usually only implement structure changes on frequently accessed areas.

Otherwise I'll update thoughts as I come across them, along with it's related thoughts. It's only when I'm feeling especially obsessive compulsive that I'll update the entire area.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
SteveZ
Compared to some who have responded to your question, I'm a mere babe in the woods with PersonalBrain. I bought my copy a little over a year ago and have been using it extensively for about ten months or so. My usage, however, has already evolved. I started with several Brains, but have merged them down to two: one for my day job and one for the rest of my life.

I don't use tags very much, not being a fan of that organizational scheme in general. Tagging, it seems to me, always requires that you become a psychic who can read the future -- that is, you've got to guess what tags will make sense of your information days, weeks, months and years from now, and really, how can you know that? I think one of the benefits of PersonalBrain is that it makes tagging unnecessary. There are times, of course, when a tag can be useful -- say to mark those thoughts that need follow-up. But trying to assign one or more tags to every tought in your Brain is really just a redundancy, since every note is already "tagged" based on the link relationships you've assigned to it.

My advice, then, mirrors that of the others who have commented: Just let your Brain grow organically and don't worry too much about getting everything right. You can't do it in PersonalBrain and I don't think it's doable in any information manager. But PersonalBrain assures you of a context for all your thoughts, because that's just how it works.

Anyway, that's my two cents -- if it's even worth that.
Steve
peekay
These are excellent suggestions and followups. Thank you all.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software